Unai Emery

PeterSw

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don't think there is a sure-fire way to break down a low block, even the likes of City and Liverpool struggle with it at times.  It often requires (dare I say it) a "moment of magic" from a De Bruyne or a Salah to get through.  

or a McGinn, Luiz combination.

UE will be as good as any to find a way.

Edited by TRO

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I love him so much. It boggles my mind how horribly he was treated by Arsenal fans and the media last time he was here. Such a gentleman, and a true coach in every sense of the word. Pochettino was my dream appointment, but I think I was wrong about that. We signed the best manager we could, and I'd have gladly accepted that horrid Gerrard year if I knew it would be for this. Well worth it.

I think this season Arteta will finally beat the points total Emery set in his one full season at Arsenal.

Suffice to say Arteta has a significantly better squad assembled with time over years. 

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think this season Arteta will finally beat the points total Emery set in his one full season at Arsenal.

Suffice to say Arteta has a significantly better squad assembled with time over years. 

It also helped getting rid of the deadwood from the end of the Wenger era like Kolasinac, Mustafi, Sokratis etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, david-avfc said:

Judging by the howler made by Lloris which gave us the win I guess you’d have to say resting Martinez was the right choice. Also a huge confidence boost for Olsen who actually looked pretty composed in goal for once.

Plus Emi was probably still recovering from the hangover that his week long bender have him.

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It also helped getting rid of the deadwood from the end of the Wenger era like Kolasinac, Mustafi, Sokratis etc.

He signed Sokratis. Looking at his signings at Arsenal there has been quite a few poor ones. But I honestly don’t know how signings worked at Arsenal and how much the coach was involved in them.

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He signed Sokratis. Looking at his signings at Arsenal there has been quite a few poor ones. But I honestly don’t know how signings worked at Arsenal and how much the coach was involved in them.

They were soft as **** though Arsenal as a club then. Seen a guy on here say before when Emery was appointed for us, that Wenger had told his coaches that during training the players must not be shouted at. Imagine that ! Looks like our lads have been like sponges so far with Emery. 

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That makes sense as he was the best of a bad bunch in their defence back then. Truly horrendous. He didn't have the luxury to get rid of them quickly. He was already phasing Ozil out but even Arteta had difficulty with that. It'll have taken 3 seasons of rebuilding for Arteta to finally overtake Unai's last points haul for Arsenal.

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He certainly didn't want Pepe, said in interview after he left he was pushing to sign Zaha but their stats said Pepe would be better fit so they wildly overpaid and now having to loan him back to France while his contract runs down.

I don't think his mid range signings were that bad. Tierney been on the whole decent for them and in terms of ability Lucas Torreria and Guendozhi were good but seems neither fitted in with attitude.

Emery's best legacy at Arsenal was playing Saka and Martinelli at 18. I'm sure Areta appreciates it given the level both are at now.

10 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It requires sitting back and letting them attack you to try and open it up, but if they don't, and they probably won't, it makes for an absolutely turgid terrible game

Agreed. It can become a bore-fest when 1 team only ever parks the bus

But I think we have a pattern to overcome judging by our 2nd against spurs - and that is have players push/run in from deeper that you may not be expecting. It only works if you have the tactical nous to not get caught in transition - and, at last, I believe we have that nous.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why we even looking at his signings at arsenal look at the ones at other clubs far more successes than flops!

The coach isn't the recruitment department. It is telling they made big changes at Arsenal in that department after Emery left. 

Recruitment department are the ones most responsible for - you guessed it - recruitment.

Head coach has an input into the final decisions. Normally they approve the shortlist of 3/4 for a certain position. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The coach isn't the recruitment department. It is telling they made big changes at Arsenal in that department after Emery left. 

Recruitment department are the ones most responsible for - you guessed it - recruitment.

Head coach has an input into the final decisions. Normally they approve the shortlist of 3/4 for a certain position. 

And according to the press, Lange’s position is under review. The next appointment will supposedly have to be with the full backing of Unai. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

And according to the press, Lange’s position is under review. The next appointment will supposedly have to be with the full backing of Unai. 

Yeah if lange gets the axe i agree unai should get a say who he wants in

Â