Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

You have to go all the way back to Saunders, surely? Which is 40+ years! We've had some decent managers in that time, but nobody with this level of attention to detail.

I'll defer to the old gits on this one! I felt pretty comfortable chucking the only decent managers (Deano and MoN) we've had in 20 years in front of the bus, but felt less comfortable doing so with some of the earlier bosses like Big Ron, and even SGT as they're a bit before my time. I've only got a half decent working memory of Gregory onwards and I'm hopeful Emery will be the best manager I've seen us under. A bloody trophy would be nice :D 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Today has taught me a lesson.

I couldn’t believe that he selected Olsen over Martinez and A.Young over Matty Cash, and thought he had condemned us to a defeat.

What do I know, you keep doing whatever you want Unai, I bow to your superior knowledge you Spanish sex god! ❤️

C59FD5F4-B199-45E9-A078-F8BE9D9F9877.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Gosh - did he really say this?

honestly I did not know - or am I being naive ?

He did say that but as a slightly longer sentence which means it’s slightly out of context when quoted with just those words.  Either way, yes he believed that Villa couldn’t compete with Chelsea and stated that just before we played them.

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Arguably not for 20+ years

Indeed.

The last time I felt like we had a genuinely top end manager was MON, who for his many faults did play effective football and could make us compete for the time - but his football had a ceiling and would struggle in today's game. After that it was a step down, til now, into has-beens, never-weres, C-tier men and development job punts, the only one of which to get a decent upwards trajectory was Smith, who himself is pretty flawed and had burnt out come the end.

Emery is a CL level manager. His CV is excellent. It can only be good for Aston Villa that he's the standard of manager we have.

For me, Unai is the first manager I can remember at Villa who has a plan for the the whole game. One who can actually put a gameplan together that maximises the chances of victory, even if it means not playing our 'best' 11, or 'best' formation. We set up according to who will be most effective against the specific weapons the opposition has. Bednarek and Cash as subs today-who on here would have done that?

And the coaching appears to have transformed this team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'll defer to the old gits on this one! I felt pretty comfortable chucking the only half decent managers (Deano and MoN) we've had in 20 years in front of the bus, but felt less comfortable doing so with some of the earlier bosses like Big Ron, and even SGT as they're a bit before my time. I've only got a half decent working memory of Gregory onwards and I'm hopefully Emery will be the best manager I've seen us under. A bloody trophy would be nice :D 

Big Ron was a good manager, I think quite an underrated manager in the game (perhaps getting himself cancelled hasn't helped) but I always thought he was more of a man manager who tried to let players play their natural game, and a canny operator in the transfer market.

Graham Taylor was also a good manager, but he had his specific way of playing which didn't change much from game to game.

Emery just seems like more of a pure tactician and coach, like every game is a new project, and he somehow gets the players to take in all the information ahead of each game. I've not really seen that before at Villa, but would be interesting to hear from the old timers.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Echegoyen?!

Spanish full names are <first name> <father's surname> <mother's surname>, but you're usually just known as <first name> <father's surname>.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Echegoyen?!

Its his other surname, its common in Spanish to have a few surnames, I think its a surname from both sides of the family 

Pep Guardiola Sala for example

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

Gerrard said stuff like "<insert team here> should beat us". Unai came in and said "uh, no, actually" and the players were like "oh right, ok". It's that simple.

Obviously Unai is also levels above as a tactician - but the Pygmalion Effect is, I believe, a thing whatever your career or level of achievement.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Its his other surname, its common in Spanish to have a few surnames, I think its a surname from both sides of the family 

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Big Ron was a good manager, I think quite an underrated manager in the game (perhaps getting himself cancelled hasn't helped) but I always thought he was more of a man manager who tried to let players play their natural game, and a canny operator in the transfer market.

Graham Taylor was also a good manager, but he had his specific way of playing which didn't change much from game to game.

Emery just seems like more of a pure tactician and coach, like every game is a new project, and he somehow gets the players to take in all the information ahead of each game. I've not really seen that before at Villa, but would be interesting to hear from the old timers.

Spanish full names are <first name> <father's surname> <mother's surname>, but you're usually just known as <first name> <father's surname>.

Actually now you mention it, I used to work with a Mexican who had another name we only found out after 5 years, so I get this. I've just never heard Emery's used. I don't frequent twitter, even to follow our boys, I'm afraid.

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Echegoyen?!

Spanish names are complicated. His full name is Unai Emery Etxegoien, Emery being his father's family name and Etxegoien his mother's. The difference in spelling is down to the transliteration of his name from Basque to Spanish.

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So Sala is w4nker in Spanish?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

14 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Actually now you mention it, I used to work with a Mexican who had another name we only found out after 5 years, so I get this. I've just never heard Emery's used. I don't frequent twitter, even to follow our boys, I'm afraid.

The maternal surname (the second surname) isn't commonly used in everyday speech (he'd be Señor Emery, not Señor Emery Echegoyen).

But the norm is to have this style of name on birth certificates, passports, official documents, etc. and vast majority of Spanish speakers will have a full name like this. It's not like English double barrelled names where it's unusual / optional... it's very much the standard naming convention.

So you have:

• Unai Emery Echegoyen
  • Emiliano Buendia Stati
  • Pepe Reina Paez
  • Carles Gil de Pareja Vicent
  • Antonio Luna y Novicio
  • Carlos Cuellar Jimenez

Etc.

Argentina is an exception - there are people like Buendia who have both, but Emi Martinez and Lionel Messi just use their paternal surname.

Edited by KentVillan

40 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Gosh - did he really say this?

honestly I did not know - or am I being naive ?

He did although it's taken a little out of context on here.

He said something along the lines of "If you're just looking at the difference in money spent, Chelsea should be wiping the floor with us."

Edited by Tom13

Â