Unai Emery

PeterSw

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Top 6 is nailed now I’d say, I think 7th is Chelsea’s to lose and should be our aim 

Newcastle has replaced one of the big 6.

7th is up for grabs I think.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the Qatar World Cup is going to seriously help teams without lots of internationals as the season wears on. Unai must be licking his lips about the possibilities that have emerged in a season most of us had written off.

Edited by HKP90
Hilarious typo.

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Newcastle has replaced one of the big 6.

7th is up for grabs I think.

Let's see if they're still flying after the World Cup...  I'm anticipating some teams falling off their good form from before the break and others coming back swinging...  The World Cup is going to blow up the Premier League table in the 2nd half of the season.  All the teams in Europe will have to rotate consistently.  Everything still left to play for now.  The Premier League table at the end of the season will shock everyone, IMO.  

17 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I agree.

Watkins and Ings was on death row under Gerrard!

I think Watkins and Ings are better( Or no better) than Gerard Moreno, Carlos Bacca, De Jong and Kevin Gameiro who Emery got firing at his previous clubs

Edited by messi11

New manager bounce effect is in here too. We'll see how we get on after the World Cup. It's been a brilliant start though and he's clearly a brilliant coach. It's the players I don't trust fully given the evidence of the last 18 months

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

New manager bounce effect is in here too. We'll see how we get on after the World Cup. It's been a brilliant start though and he's clearly a brilliant coach. It's the players I don't trust fully given the evidence of the last 18 months

Yes but it also helps massively if the new manager is actually good, as Emery clearly is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I’d be happy with 10th.

We will lose games. We will play crap at times. As fans we need to not shit the bed when we do lose a game. We are now on the right path and we are starting to fight back and that’s a start. But it’s still not going to be easy. Let’s not get carried away with talk of 7/8th or better. Top half finish after the start we had would be more than welcome imo in the context of this season.  

Of course. Even the playing out of the back thing at times when it was a bit hairy, would of been easy to return to type. He strikes me as a guy who doesn’t get too high when we win or low when we lose. He’ll of noted the fact that Mings and Konsa to a lesser degree are probably taking too long and taking and extra few seconds playing out from the back. So….they’ll have to improve or they won’t be in his long term plans. Emery has complete belief in his methods though, he won’t waver. No disrespect to Smith but it’s probably his biggest weakness. He wants to play nice football but doesn’t have the elite footballing IQ to carry it out or folds too quickly when it’s not working. Emery will not budge. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I’m not so sure. New manager bounce is effort, adrenaline etc. Arse can go out of that 20, 30 mins into each game. The stuff Villa are doing on and off the ball since he came in is not just by chance. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Of course. Even the playing out of the back thing at times when it was a bit hairy, would of been easy to return to type. He strikes me as a guy who doesn’t get too high when we win or low when we lose. He’ll of noted the fact that Mings and Konsa to a lesser degree are probably taking too long and taking and extra few seconds playing out from the back. So….they’ll have to improve or they won’t be in his long term plans. Emery has complete belief in his methods though, he won’t waver. No disrespect to Smith but it’s probably his biggest weakness. He wants to play nice football but doesn’t have the elite footballing IQ to carry it out or folds too quickly when it’s not working. Emery will not budge. 

I believe you’re 100% correct there.

Elite manager at our club, being given a project that sounds like a blank canvas to do what he wants, be backed by and only answer to the owners. Breathe it in boys and girls!

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

So we have Liverpool and Tottenham after the break, after that we have a run of very winnable games. I would hope that we can grab as many points as possible vs Liverpool/Tottenham and then aim for a high points return for our following games. 

I would think they fear us more than we fear them at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

So we have Liverpool and Tottenham after the break, after that we have a run of very winnable games. I would hope that we can grab as many points as possible vs Liverpool/Tottenham and then aim for a high points return for our following games. 

I just had a few of my  spurs supporing mates message saying they aint looking forward to playing us after wc. Goes to show the immediate impact emery is having

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

some good points.

I think historically the players failing fell on the manager wrongly or rightly, where as with Emery and the fact he was hired by Nassef Sawiris and has said he is here for "the project", i honestly feel like it will be on the players now (and rightly so), and if they arent good enough for Emery he will be given carte blanche to eject as many players as he wants to get the system working the way he wants.

Not sure how to explain what i mean, but as i say, historically the players were mostly blameless (even we as fans sided with players etc - which is ofc normal), the managers took the brunt, but this time with Emery i dont think the players have anywhere to hide, Emery is levels above the players in terms of credibility, so i think it will be emery's way or the highway.

For the record, im fully supportive of this, i dont care who comes or goes in the playing squad, the players have had their chance over the last 3 years, right now im backing the manager to do whatever he wants to do.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

Â