Lambert

Sherwood 

Garde

Di matteo

Bruce

Smith

Gerrard

Emery

With all due respect to smith None of the managers come anywhere near to emerys CV. It really is a massive coup for us

I mean if we just compare Emery's CV with current PL managers, he's at least top 4 arguably 3rd imo. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I get the feeling he would only leave if he has achieved what he wants here.

Which he says is a trophy and European football at a minimum - but who knows the true ceiling of this club under these owners.

You're probably right.  But if he were to win a cup and gets us into Europe, he'd definitely be on the radar for the top clubs. 

But getting ahead of myself here, let's just concentrate on this season 😀

1 hour ago, allani said:

Fingers crossed he is our Wenger.

If you looked at some of our play at the weekend we were forcing the opposition to commit to where we had the ball opening up space elsewhere on the pitch for us to exploit..... Exactly like Arsene Wenger's Arsenal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Seems like the perfect marriage. The articles in Marca yesterday were such great pieces. Basically got all the negatives done in the first paragraph and then gave everything that is good about Villa line after line.  I liked the fact that he does 15 hour days like Fergie used to. And that they basically say Bodymoor is one of the best training grounds on the planet. 

I think if he is successful he will be here for a long time. He is here to build, not just win a trophy and leave. Leaving a legacy. Taking a club and improving it day by day month by month year by year, while still knowing that its all about winning. 

It would be nice to have a long term manager that is here more than a few years. Ron Saunders was the last to get past the 4 year mark!

• Shocked 1

Apologies if this has been mentioned, but I've just seen UE's reaction after Bailey scores the first..

He gives a restrained celebration but then goes on to congratulate every coach, physio, doctor and all the players.. all individually.

I don't think I have ever seen any other manager react that like...

• Like 3

He's very likeable isn't he? And I'm not just saying that because he's got a glittering CV and delivered a fantastic win.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is about him that's so likeable though, just that he is. He seems quite humble?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned, but I've just seen UE's reaction after Bailey scores the first..

He gives a restrained celebration but then goes on to congratulate every coach, physio, doctor and all the players.. all individually.

I don't think I have ever seen any other manager react that like...

Yes. It's of a piece with his far more active in-game management approach, too. No more sitting on the touchline, frowning and making notes. He's immersed in the game experience and part of the squad.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

He's very likeable isn't he? And I'm not just saying that because he's got a glittering CV and delivered a fantastic win.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is about him that's so likeable though, just that he is. He seems quite humble?

He seems a genuinely good guy. He is  always pleasant to the media or camera crew from videos I have seen. Plus he seems to want to help players improve and giving high 5s to the bench and staff after the goals shows a humbleness instead of some managers who need the attention

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

There was a comment in The Athletic under a piece on Emery’s tactics for the Man Utd win, it was from an Arsenal fan saying he was a mega signing for Villa; a very, very good manager and the nicest man in football.

He said that Arsenal were stupid to sack him, that he was doing a great job there.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

He seems a genuinely good guy. He is  always pleasant to the media or camera crew from videos I have seen. Plus he seems to want to help players improve and giving high 5s to the bench and staff after the goals shows a humbleness instead of some managers who need the attention

In that moment after we scored the first, he laid the example that everyone is important to him and he appreciates everyone even those players on the bench.

I bet Morgan got more eye contact in that 90 minutes than in the previous 12 months. If Gerrard has any aspirations left he would do well to watch and learn...

been thinking about the "Unai taking us to Europe thing".

tbh, the more i think about it, the more i think Emery having a chance of winning/not winning a European Competition isnt the issue.

The issue is, that in places like Spain (La Liga), there is i think more opportunity for up and coming teams to have a chance to even qualify for Europe in the first place, there is effectively the big 2 (Barca/R.Madrid), then maybe just below them Atlético, after that i think its very much open to a team performing well having a good chance of Champions League Qualification, or Europa League etc, as their qualifying is guaranteed that the top 6 all get some form of European Football, however as i mentioned, they only really have a big 2, followed by Atlético, the rest of the field is fairly open to teams who perform.

Compare that with the PL, where only the top 5 is guaranteed some form of european football (then the 2 cups, or passed to league depending on cup results), but there is also a very defined "big 6" (rather than the La Liga big 2), in Man City, Manure, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs & Liverpool, tbh its much harder to try and break in to those top 6, and with the general quality of 2-3 of the teams outside the top 6, even quite hard to break in to the top 8.

I suppose my point is, the hardest job for Emery long term, is to even break in to the European places, or even the top 8, as its much harder than other leagues to do so.

• Like 1

Â