Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

It seems like they'd opened talks with Emery well before the Fulham game...which makes the timing of the Gerrard sacking right after his post match presser look almost spiteful. I wonder if Gerrard was ultimately widely disliked throughout the club, all the way to the top (minus Purslow).

I wasnt too bothered how they did it. He's a millionaire who is now even richer than he was last Thursday. Think he'll cope. 

At least they didn't do it via email or WhatsApp. 

What are people's expectations for Emery this season? What do we think is a realistic finish this season now? Best case where can we climb to?

And what would be an acceptable worst case? Is there a situation that doesn't result in relegation where you'd be questioning him getting a second season? Or does he get a pass however we stay up?

For me, a 48-52 point finish this season is probably realistic, with aim to be at the higher end of that. His average ppg in his first 25 La Liga games with Almeria, Valencia, Sevilla and Villareal was 1.45ppg seems a reasonable benchmark from previous jobs and would land us in that 48-52 range by the end of this season.

Not sure how I feel about the worst case at the moment as it doesn't feel particularly likely we'll finish below 40 points. It would literally take the worst 25 game run of his entire management career to do this.

2 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

What are people's expectations for Emery this season? What do we think is a realistic finish this season now? Best case where can we climb to?

And what would be an acceptable worst case? Is there a situation that doesn't result in relegation where you'd be questioning him getting a second season? Or does he get a pass however we stay up?

For me, a 48-52 point finish this season is probably realistic, with aim to be at the higher end of that. His average ppg in his first 25 La Liga games with Almeria, Valencia, Sevilla and Villareal was 1.45ppg seems a reasonable benchmark from previous jobs and would land us in that 48-52 range by the end of this season.

Not sure how I feel about the worst case at the moment as it doesn't feel particularly likely we'll finish below 40 points. It would literally take the worst 25 game run of his entire management career to do this.

Good question. Given the awful start to the season I would see 45 points + as good and achievable. I think because of how we've been and the effects of that on the squad I'd say this season a respectable points haul and finish is the lower benchmark for me. My expectations for this season are low due to the clown who was previously in charge. Next season they'll be higher though!

26 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Good question. Given the awful start to the season I would see 45 points + as good and achievable. I think because of how we've been and the effects of that on the squad I'd say this season a respectable points haul and finish is the lower benchmark for me. My expectations for this season are low due to the clown who was previously in charge. Next season they'll be higher though!

50 points would be a good season,  its difficult but doable

31 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

I think its abit yoo early to say but ill br happy if he betters gerrards lame finish last year.

I think as i said in a post fe wages ago we all need to be patient and give him time. He is a proven winner and we all need to get behind him and the lads. 

He is a winner but at same time we have to be realistic with our expectations as its going to take abut of time. Im confident we wont gi down but i want to see us put in more of a fight against the better sides not show pathetic performances like the 4-0 battering against spurs at VP

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

It seems like they'd opened talks with Emery well before the Fulham game...which makes the timing of the Gerrard sacking right after his post match presser look almost spiteful. I wonder if Gerrard was ultimately widely disliked throughout the club, all the way to the top (minus Purslow).

A thought I've had.

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

This is how i would like us to look under Unai Emery after the January window 🤝

We can attract these level of players due to having the pull of Unai too.

Buendia and Pino further forward of course but that would be an excellent line up to charge up with moving into the second stage of the season 😍

7B84165B-C6C9-47D9-BB24-DE6848FBD8A6.thumb.jpeg.3620fbc32375f5e6cbdce82a3b5b46ee.jpeg

Lost me with Mings as right sided CB ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Same ppg for Emery as Gerrard last season would seee us finishing on 44-47 points, depending on Newcastle result. Thoughts if we are below this come the end of the season?

Absolutely someone I think we need to give time. Here's his ppg for his first 25 games, then his next 38, in La Liga:

First 25 games ppg

Valencia - 1.56

Sevilla - 1.32

Villarreal - 1.48

Next 38 games ppg

Valencia - 1.84

Sevilla - 1.87

Villarreal - 1.58

Continuous Improvement

7 hours ago, HKP90 said:

My take on the accent thing is that he's working in probably his third language, and will know, obviously, that it's not his best, yet he chooses to address the media in their own language, rather than have an interpreter which he could very easily arrange for. Not only does that show bravery and confidence, but it also shows respect for the country he is working in. Fair play to the man. If he gets a few words wrong, I really don't care, it's the effort made to try that is worth everything. 

Contrast with Bielsa who does not appear to have made the slightest concession or attempt to learning English. 

If I went to work in France or Spain, I'd learn French or Spanish. No question. You have to respect the culture you live in. 

Honestly it's probably his 4th language. Basque, Spanish, French he certainly learned growing up. 

The place he was born is right on the border of France and Spain. If the border wasn't there it would likely be considered as part of the French town across the border as the only thing separating them really so the harbour. 

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Honestly it's probably his 4th language. Basque, Spanish, French he certainly learned growing up. 

The place he was born is right on the border of France and Spain. If the border wasn't there it would likely be considered as part of the French town across the border as the only thing separating them really so the harbour. 

Digne, Sanson, Guilbert, Emis, Coutinho, Luiz,  Carlos, Augustinsson, Kamara, Dendoncker and Nakamba have all played in these leagues or speak the language so communication will be fine

Its not Gabby and Richards laughing because the new teammates are French

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I was thinking Basque and Spanish.

15 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Same ppg for Emery as Gerrard last season would seee us finishing on 44-47 points, depending on Newcastle result. Thoughts if we are below this come the end of the season?

Absolutely someone I think we need to give time. Here's his ppg for his first 25 games, then his next 38, in La Liga:

First 25 games ppg

Valencia - 1.56

Sevilla - 1.32

Villarreal - 1.48

Next 38 games ppg

Valencia - 1.84

Sevilla - 1.87

Villarreal - 1.58

More stats. For us to finish on 60 points this season, we'd need to pick up another 48 points. Say we lose Saturday and Emery has 25 games left that would be 1.92ppg. He's acheived this in a 25 league game run at least once at every club he has managed (apart from Spartak where he only managed 17 games at 1.71ppg)

Â