Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

A week ago, this forum was a pretty grim place to be, there was very little optimism going in to that Fulham game, we kind of knew it was going to be a horror show and we just hoped it would all be over soon, all we had was that hope.

Now?

Gerrard is gone, we absolutely walloped bogey team Brentford, we have a world class coach incoming, key players looking to return from injuries early, and the sky's the limit.

One thing to keep in mind though is that even though some things can change quickly in football, not everything does, some things are only changed by hard work and repetition on the training ground, over a period of time. We aren't suddenly going to beat everyone 4-0, we aren't suddenly an impeccably coached and tactically flexible team just because a good coach has arrived, it takes time.

We have the ingredients (the players), and now we have a world renowned chef(Emery), let's give him time to cook us up something special... (Balti Pie)

My thoughts to a tee.

We still have to do it.....I am still shocked, by the turn around against Brentford, maybe pent up frustration helped along with the system change.

I am not expecting too much, too soon......but gradual improvement would be nifty.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

A week ago, this forum was a pretty grim place to be, there was very little optimism going in to that Fulham game, we kind of knew it was going to be a horror show and we just hoped it would all be over soon, all we had was that hope.

Now?

Gerrard is gone, we absolutely walloped bogey team Brentford, we have a world class coach incoming, key players looking to return from injuries early, and the sky's the limit.

One thing to keep in mind though is that even though some things can change quickly in football, not everything does, some things are only changed by hard work and repetition on the training ground, over a period of time. We aren't suddenly going to beat everyone 4-0, we aren't suddenly an impeccably coached and tactically flexible team just because a good coach has arrived, it takes time.

We have the ingredients (the players), and now we have a world renowned chef(Emery), let's give him time to cook us up something special... (Balti Pie)

You wise man, you.

17 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Exactly. You don't sign a manager in 2 days, it's just shown up all of the media outlets who were touting names as speculative chancers.

99% of media stuff is hot air. Try my best to ignore it all. 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

My thoughts to a tee.

We still have to do it.....I am still shocked, by the turn around against Brentford, maybe pent up frustration helped along with the system change.

I am not expecting too much, too soon......but gradual improvement would be nifty.

The performance against Brentford was very cathartic for those players I felt, I've rarely seen a Villa team so obviously pumped up and motivated from the first whistle to the last, I think it's unlikely we'll see that every game going forward, and it would be unfair to expect Emery to motivate them to those same levels, as the circumstances allowed and created it and circumstances change, but it was certainly needed, a few more performances like that and the disconnect between players and fans will certainly be no more. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

dunno if this has been posted. 40  mins of emery style training session . Bloody hell he certainly is hands on. As in he is running on the pitch all the time clip board in hand directing players. very impressive.

What is this witchcraft?

Vocal, leading the training. Training looks meticulous but not too intense it over-works the players.

Look at that compared to Gerrard standing round like a wet fart being anything but a leader in training. And he had the nerve and bare-faced cheek to label himself as "head coach".

Total fraud compared to Unai, who really is a HEAD COACH!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

What is this witchcraft?

Vocal, leading the training. Training looks meticulous but not too intense it over-works the players.

Look at that compared to Gerrard standing round like a wet fart being anything but a leader in training. And he had the nerve and bare-faced cheek to label himself as "head coach".

Total fraud compared to Unai, who really is a HEAD COACH!

We certainly need the first exercise badly, as our one touch play has been rubbish.

I am highly optimistic of what Unai can achieve here, but I also fully expect us to still finish bottom half this season.

There will be no miracles with his methods, but with building blocks in place and good business in the transfer windows, injured players fit again and returning to a normal season. It will all be there for him next season.

His remit should be keep us up and go to work to son, strip it back bare and rebuild it. Take the pain, finish 13th but you'll be seeing the signs of change.

In Unai I trust!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it is that we were valuing the likes of Potter and Pochettino over Emery.

Was listening to a podcast, and the bloke is more successful than both, as well as even the other competitors who managed at PSG as well.

He actually did a better job an PSG them.

His " failures" still eclipse their successes.

Just shows how heavily influenced people are by " fashionable " candidates despite actual fact and performance.

( Myself included )

I wholeheartedly agree with you JC

I just hope fans are patient and give him time. Its critical we give him time. He has been a success at most places and we  need to behind him

• Like 4

It seems like they'd opened talks with Emery well before the Fulham game...which makes the timing of the Gerrard sacking right after his post match presser look almost spiteful. I wonder if Gerrard was ultimately widely disliked throughout the club, all the way to the top (minus Purslow).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AJ said:

He comes across as an absolute gentleman, and I think we have been blessed to get him.

Also, he does look a bit like a slightly deceased Austrian pop star from the 80s.

See the source image

y'all got zombies? 😕

• Like 1

Didn’t the TheTrees say that it looks like Wes met with Villareal and Emery in Vienna on the 12th October, so maybe it was delayed because the beloved VP died but the offer was there.  The reason to keep Gerrard in the mean time was to keep stability until it was completed but even NSWE got too fed up after Fulham so thought we’d wouldn’t be worse without a manager for a few weeks.

As for sacking straight after the game.  It doesn’t matter when you get sacked or made redundant it still sucks but unless you left under a cloud you generally want to say goodbye to people you work with.  I don’t think any way you do it is good but in football it happens more than in real life and he gets a real big pay off and while money shouldn’t be a factor it is.  Also it looks like he got sacked face to face which is more honourable than other ways I’ve heard of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â