Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

5 hours ago, gurru991 said:

You are more than welcome to Brendan Rodgers !!

All smoke and mirrors with no substance !! He talks a big game but is tactically inept. You might just as well stick with Gerrard rather than put up with the Rodgers blame game.

Other than the PL title win under Ranieri which was a complete one-off, Rodgers is the most successful manager in your history. Two top 5 finishes and an FA Cup win, whilst playing attacking football. 

Yes things have gone a little stale but let's not act like Leicester are some huge club (no offence meant). I'd definitely take him here, he's a far better manager than Gerrard. Was my preferred choice over Smith when we were in the Championship but he obviously turned us down at that point.

Just now, sne said:

Don't see us poaching a manager from another club in the PL, but if we did I rather we went for Potter (out of the ones that might be realistic)

I wouldn’t mind him here. Brighton seem a very well coached team.  A lot of fans would find it frustrating as they are mainly set up about being hard to beat first so we’d get a lot draws but I think a lot of fans would just settle for a recognisable style of a play at the moment. Even if it’s not one they agree with. 

I seriously think Gerrard will walk if things get any worse, hes upset the dressing room and if the fans turn he wont stick around to listen to it  so the powers that be should be asking around now. We don't want to be caught short. 

If we can't get poch I would go for potter , he would take some convincing but with our squad he should be able to turn us around or at least improve us enough to stay out of the relegation battle.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wouldn’t mind him here. Brighton seem a very well coached team.  A lot of fans would find it frustrating as they are mainly set up about being hard to beat first so we’d get a lot draws but I think a lot of fans would just settle for a recognisable style of a play at the moment. Even if it’s not one they agree with. 

Having followed Potter from his time in Sweden I feel that he's pretty pragmatic and would not set up Villa with a squad like this in the same way he sets up Brighton.

From what I remember some of his Östersund teams where really fun to watch.

• Like 1

I still want Gerrard to do well but if our squad is as good as people make out would a new top manager need as long as people think?

Look at Spurs for example. Conte came in when Nuno was struggling didn’t he? Yet got them 4th.  

Giving Gerrard until the winter break doesn’t have to mean our seasons over if he loses his job. Does it?

Just now, tinker said:

I seriously think Gerrard will walk if things get any worse, hes upset the dressing room and if the fans turn he wont stick around to listen to it  so the powers that be should be asking around now. We don't want to be caught short. 

If we can't get poch I would go for potter , he would take some convincing but with our squad he should be able to turn us around or at least improve us enough to stay out of the relegation battle.

He's rich enough already I guess but that would see him walking away from a lot of money. He might of course if he think his reputation is tanking.

A quick google says it's only a 2.5 year contract which would be great if true because our pay off should he be sacked is not as enormous as I feared it would.

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

I don't like the quick sacking of managers and would happily give Gerrard more time.

But if the board decide to move him on, then Potter is absolutely the manager we should go for.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

At least they’re hard to beat in a pretty way, so to speak, dominating possession to stay out of danger. And with better attacking players maybe that high xG could become goals at least sometimes?

I think Leicester fans have a skewed view of Rodgers because in the two seasons when they finishded fifth they really should have finished fourth but if my memory serves me correctly on both occassions they went on bad runs towards the end of the season and missed out.So depends how you look at it, fifth looks good in of itself, but also they could have and probably should have done better.

Even last season they were poor for most of it, but still managed to finish eighth on fifty-two points, if it wasn't for European distractions could well have finished top six again, they were only six points off it with better goal difference than The Red Devils.

Should we get to the stage where we have to sack Gerrard then I don't think Rodgers would be a bad choice.

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't see us poaching a manager from another club in the PL, but if we did I rather we went for Potter (out of the ones that might be realistic)

I'd like Potter.

Last season there was a spell where they went a long time without a win but clearly played nice football. They were well coached. I remember many posters saying how potter isn't good enough, and Brighton don't score. 

Difference with Gerrard is that we have a better squad and don't seem to be playing nice football and the results are not there either.

Still, let's give Gerrard more time. In my eyes, he's got 5 more games. 

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still want Gerrard to do well but if our squad is as good as people make out would a new top manager need as long as people think?

Look at Spurs for example. Conte came in when Nuno was struggling didn’t he? Yet got them 4th.  

Giving Gerrard until the winter break doesn’t have to mean our seasons over if he loses his job. Does it?

Yes imo.

I think at very best this squad is 7th.  If Gerrard got the games up to the break and we were playing poorly that he got the sack then even with a top manager our very best with the remaining games then would just be fighting for mid table as he would be catching up ground almost like what Newcastle did last season. (I’m not saying Howe is a top manager just look at the run they went on to get midtable, it was CL form).

I think the difference for Spurs is they have better players especially with world class players like Son and Kane.

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Still, let's give Gerrard more time. In my eyes, he's got 5 more games. 

I would agree, if we start to improve during those 5 games then he should be given more time . If we don't improve then we don't want to be asking managers to drag us out of a relegation battle, I think we would end up with a 'big Sam' style manager as the likes of Poch and Potter would be mad to jump on a sinking ship. 

6 hours ago, gurru991 said:

All smoke and mirrors with no substance !! He talks a big game but is tactically inept. You might just as well stick with Gerrard rather than put up with the Rodgers blame game.

You could actually swap Gerrard with Rodgers and same thing

Wonder where Gerrard learned it😛

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the season is over if we bring in a manager who wants to play with wide players since we only have 1 with 2 dumped in the reserves

The problem with Potter is that he's got no reason (other than probably money) to come to Villa. We are on level with Brighton and fighting for similar things at this point.