Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

2 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I just can't escape the feeling that Rodgers would take one look at this squad and be certain that he could have them playing good football and climbing up the league. A good 2/3 seasons under someone of his calibre is exactly what we need.

We'll wait til he's left Leicester and gone elsewhere before doing anything about Gerrard no doubt.

Spot on.

I think Rodgers is what we need right now. A very good, proven manager who can get the team into Europe. He has shown his quality, whether it is promotion from the championship,  double trebles in scotland or consecutive 5th places and an FA Cup with Leicester. I think he would move to us as he always speaks fondly of the club and doesn't seem to have the financial backing at Leicester. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

I reckon Purslow will leave if Gerrard gets the sack

But he is literally invested in the club, he won’t leave. He seemingly needs some proper guidance on hiring managers though. 

Edited by Tayls

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Christ - should Liverpool sack klopp? We are 1 game in. It’s absurd to be talking manager change. 

It’s not just yesterdays game.. it’s all of the games since he became our manager. He hasn’t won enough. And there are a bunch of other issues going on as well which gives me impression that there is a toxic atmosphere…. Again. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tayls said:

But he is literally invested in the club, he won’t leave. 

If the owners decide to sack gerrard against purslows will then he will maybe go by his own choice regardless of any money in the club 

Edited by Eastie

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Christ - should Liverpool sack klopp? We are 1 game in. It’s absurd to be talking manager change. 

It’s 9 months. I think most people will want to see how the next two games go, both results and performances. Maybe we’ll see a complete transformation but that is not based on anything but hope.

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

If the owners decide to sack gerrard against purslows will then he will go by his own choice regardless of any money in the club 

But that’s the thing… the owners won’t do the sacking. It will be the CEO. He might be encouraged to do it at a time of the owners choosing, but ultimately it will be Purslow that pulls the trigger. I very much doubt he will outright refuse to do it, that’s not his character. Business is business. 

Edited by Tayls

Rodgers becoming more of a no brainer. Low risk appointment who’ll likely jump to the opportunity to come here. He’ll get us comfortably in the 6-10 bracket over next couple of seasons. Poch is never coming here. He’s got himself to elite level manager status and if he came to Villa and got it wrong he’d lose that. He’ll never risk it.

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

But he is literally invested in the club, he won’t leave. He seemingly needs some proper guidance on hiring managers though. 

He’ll probably get rid of Lange along with Gerrard as a bit of a scapegoat.

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

But that’s the thing… the owners won’t do the sacking. It will be the CEO. He might be encouraged to do it at a time of the owners choosing, but ultimately it will be Purslow that pulls the trigger. I very much doubt he will outright refuse to do it, that’s not his character. Business is business. 

I don’t see purslow sacking gerrard by his own choice - he will have continue to faith in him - if it happened it would be the owners who make that decision . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Is this possible? We’d be just as boring but at least the players might actually look like they know what they’re supposed to be doing! 

Our general style is boring but we've been reasonable scorers under Gerrard at least, 4 v Southampton, 3 at Leeds and Burnley, 2 at Man. City etc. Under Nuno we'd just be grinding out 1-0s as he did at Wolves.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You have given two examples that were NOT one league game!!

I haven't actually said sack him now. However if we don't win any of the next three we then have Arsenal and Man. City at start of September so you'd be looking at a very poor start to the season indeed (probably worse than 15/16).

Is it acceptable to sack manager at start of September after 5-6 games? We should've ditched Sherwood sooner, got in big Sam and then 15/16 may just have been salvageable with a good transfer window in January so that's one example of when we kept a manager on losing streak too long.

12 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Rodgers becoming more of a no brainer. Low risk appointment who’ll likely jump to the opportunity to come here. He’ll get us comfortably in the 6-10 bracket over next couple of seasons. Poch is never coming here. He’s got himself to elite level manager status and if he came to Villa and got it wrong he’d lose that. He’ll never risk it.

but Ancelloti went to Everton.....Biesla to Leeds.

And so the villa merry go round goes on ! If pep came here with poch as his number 2 we still wouldn’t be happy . 
SG was Not my choice of manager but his here !

His had half a season and 90 minutes and here we are “ Big Sam maybe “ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Not saying its my choice but I can see it happening

He's still be managing Denmark in world cup.

They have another deep run as is very possible with their form and he wouldn't come in until a few days before the Liverpool game on Boxing day so next to no prep for all the xmas fixtures.

He'd be an intriguing choice but really don't think the timing would be right.

One who hasn't been mentioned is actually Thomas Frank. Done brilliantly in Brentford's system and we sign enough of their players so he could possibly get Watkins and Konsa back on track at prem level.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Our general style is boring but we've been reasonable scorers under Gerrard at least, 4 v Southampton, 3 at Leeds and Burnley, 2 at Man. City etc. Under Nuno we'd just be grinding out 1-0s as he did at Wolves.

I still see conceding in an amateur fashion as more of an issue, than scoring.

We would need some kind of fantastic attacking team, to out score our deficits.....I know they say, Attack is the best form of defence, but we can't stay on the ball either.