January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The funny thing about the what if Watkins scenario is he's not even our most important player. 

If Martinez gets injured we'd be much worse off. But where's the panic to replace Olsen?

He might be now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I have no idea.....But I am prepared to debate possibilities and not just accept convenient views, to make my visit on Saturday compliant.

I will have my disappointment of the January window, firmly, shelved, on Saturday, and only the game will occupy my thoughts, my full support will be unleashed.....but if you think, I am happy, to pass over on a opportunity to make the team better, I am not.

I accept the failure to strengthen the team, with the same irritation as missing a penalty......must do better.

Is it failure? 

If there's things out of our control, how is it failure? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Must be why Emery is currently managed Newcastle?

He isn’t though? We can’t speculate on the reasons why he turned that job down - money probably wasn’t the problem at the time. But also, then ended up with Eddie Howe which at that time I thought would be a disaster based on their new expectations off the back of Saudi money… I think a lot of people did.. 

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The funny thing about the what if Watkins scenario is he's not even our most important player. 

If Martinez gets injured we'd be much worse off. But where's the panic to replace Olsen?

Don't even go there, that is the stuff of nightmares 

• Like 1

Just now, Tayls said:

He isn’t though? We can’t speculate on the reasons why he turned that job down - money probably wasn’t the problem at the time. But also, then ended up with Eddie Howe which at that time I thought would be a disaster based on their new expectations off the back of Saudi money… I think a lot of people did.. 

That’s the point. If he only cared about money he’d be the Newcastle manager right now.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Maybe we are just a Crystal Palace or Leicester. Maybe that's what the board are happy with now, midtable, makes you think? Since we took 100 mill for Grealish, we haven't really made any statement signings, I doubt we have even spent half the money net.

There's a thread on that! Sort of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Your post said that it would be annoying to not get top 6 because of the players we could then sign. 

As I've said, we've managed to sign good players and attract a world class manager without European football. So the idea failing to get top 6, when only months ago relegation was an issue, would be disappointing is utter nonsense. 

Indeed it did. Because if we invested NOW, and got the European place it would raise our profile, give us more money, make us more attractive to EVEN BETTER players in the summer, and we'd be better able to afford them.  That does not equate to saying we would not be attractive in the Summer without a top 6 place, which is the completely incorrect conclusion you appear to have jumped to.     

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have no idea.....But I am prepared to debate possibilities and not just accept convenient views, to make my visit on Saturday compliant.

I will have my disappointment of the January window, firmly, shelved, on Saturday, and only the game will occupy my thoughts, my full support will be unleashed.....but if you think, I am happy, to pass over on a opportunity to make the team better, I am not.

I accept the failure to strengthen the team, with the same irritation as missing a penalty......must do better.

Out of interest, is this a view you willing to change down the line? If we continue to do well and finish in the top 8 for example? Or now you've decided that this was a failure of a window, any performance from the club from now until the summer will elicit a response of "well, we could have done even better if we'd have got 2-3 more in."

• Like 1

Just now, El Segundo said:

Indeed it did. Because if we invested NOW, and got the European place it would raise our profile, give us more money, make us more attractive to EVEN BETTER players in the summer, and we'd be better able to afford them.  That does not equate to saying we would not be attractive in the Summer without a top 6 place, which is the completely incorrect conclusion you appear to have jumped to.     

If only it was that easy. 

It's crazy to me to get that annoyed about not over spending and signing 2nd choice players to gamble on getting top 6 with 18 games to go. 

Because you can't honestly believe we had top targets lined up and just refused to pay reasonable fees or just told Unai no. 

1 minute ago, Powehi said:

Out of interest, is this a view you willing to change down the line? If we continue to do well and finish in the top 8 for example? Or now you've decided that this was a failure of a window, any performance from the club from now until the summer will elicit a response of "well, we could have done even better if we'd have got 2-3 more in."

The funny thing is, he wouldn't even contemplate the idea that a new manager could have done better than Gerrard. 

But now, once again, everything is a disappointment 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Is it failure? 

If there out of our control, how is it e's things failure? 

If we was expected to strengthen, imo, yes.

but we simply, don't know that, they was out of our control....what if we low balled our targets?

Judging by the amount of out going loans, the wages was an issue too.....There is too much we don't know and can only speculate....what we can say is....we are either happy with the window, or not.

I don't want to go in to the possibilities too much, as it becomes a "Duck Shoot".

1 minute ago, El Segundo said:

Every signing is a gamble and there's no reason we can't continue Emery form with current squad unless [insert doom and gloom hypothetical] happens. 

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Maybe we are just a Crystal Palace or Leicester. Maybe that's what the board are happy with now, midtable, makes you think? Since we took 100 mill for Grealish, we haven't really made any statement signings, I doubt we have even spent half the money net.

We’ve spent about 139 million since Grealish left. Net. 

And that doesn’t include the 30m spent on Bailey before Grealish left which was probably part of the Grealish money. 

Let’s not let facts get in the way of a nice rant though 

• Like 2

I'm unsure we will ever get that statement signing anymore, even if we have the 50+ million to buy, I very much doubt we would pay the salaries. I don't think we pay anymore than £160k a week, an you ain't getting a top striker for that, which is probably why we signed a young lad in Duran, hoping he will develop into our MVP.

• Haha 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I'm unsure we will ever get that statement signing anymore, even if we have the 50+ million to buy, I very much doubt we would pay the salaries. I don't think we pay anymore than £160k a week, an you ain't getting a top striker for that, which is probably why we signed a young lad in Duran, hoping he will develop into our MVP.

Get the bed sheets out. Get the £ signs out. It's a disgrace. 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That’s the point. If he only cared about money he’d be the Newcastle manager right now.

Ok. To be fair, I’m not reallllyyy that fussed about Emery’s reasons for joining or the money he’s earning though, that all went a bit off track. What I want to know is, why are people so sure that we will spend our money in the summer?

A lot of people were adamant we would support Emery this window… but we haven’t, really…  and let’s be honest, it has been a bit shit… right? 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

We’ve spent about 139 million since Grealish left. Net. 

And that doesn’t include the 30m spent on Bailey before Grealish left which was probably part of the Grealish money. 

Let’s not let facts get in the way of a nice rant though 

Nothing to shout about, when Bretford, Fulham and Brighton are above us.