Villa Forward X

Marka Ragnos

Do we need one Superpowered Forward?

Has Villa ever had That Talismanic Player X? Is it possible again? Is it wise?

My answers would emphatically be not lately, should be, and maybe.

A lot of names tossed around the transfer thread, but I still think we're missing some talismanic super player -- a Villa Player X, if you will -- someone to be awakened from his mountain slumber, or maybe a mountain city in Brazil, who's going to come, be unplayable and usher Villa to the next level. Villa Player X will be a natural leader, a consistent danger in their final third, a media darling or not, but someone who helps tie together all the puzzle pieces and inspires teammates, coach, and supporters like no other. Is Kamara the one? Could be? Emi Martinez -- I don't think so. I don't think Player X is here yet. Maybe this is just the very human, immature desire for simple solutions to complex problems, but I do look a bit enviously at clubs in the "Big Six" willing and able to part with millions to find tomorrow's superstar.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I love these kind of questions, I always ask when I’m drunk…wanting the mythical player.  The problem is when you solve one problem another pops up, like we solved DM with Kamara and now other areas look poor.  I think we need a special striker and I hope we get one asap but I’m looking forward to the responses to this…

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Do we need one Superpowered Forward?

Has Villa ever had That Talismanic Player X? Is it possible again? Is it wise?

My answers would emphatically be not lately, should be, and maybe.

A lot of names tossed around the transfer thread, but I still think we're missing some talismanic super player -- a Villa Player X, if you will -- someone to be awakened from his mountain slumber, or maybe a mountain city in Brazil, who's going to come, be unplayable and usher Villa to the next level. Villa Player X will be a natural leader, a consistent danger in their final third, a media darling or not, but someone who helps tie together all the puzzle pieces and inspires teammates, coach, and supporters like no other. Is Kamara the one? Could be? Emi Martinez -- I don't think so. I don't think Player X is here yet. Maybe this is just the very human, immature desire for simple solutions to complex problems, but I do look a bit enviously at clubs in the "Big Six" willing and able to part with millions to find tomorrow's superstar.  

Tekkers was something like that. 

Grealish, whilst not a forward per se, definitely was. I don't see anything like that in the squad at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Tekkers was something like that. 

Grealish, whilst not a forward per se, definitely was. I don't see anything like that in the squad at the moment. 

Yep. +1 on Benteke. 

I think we forget, but he was genuinely phenomenal for us. 

All sorts of goals, many created from nothing, and plenty that you'd wonder how he'd scored them. 

I'm not quite sure an exact Benteke replica would suit an Emery team, but it would be one hell of an entertaining ride to see if they did!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

Yep. +1 on Benteke. 

I think we forget, but he was genuinely phenomenal for us. 

All sorts of goals, many created from nothing, and plenty that you'd wonder how he'd scored them. 

I'm not quite sure an exact Benteke replica would suit an Emery team, but it would be one hell of an entertaining ride to see if they did!

Highest gpg of any Villa Striker in the Premier League era. 0.47. Nearly 1 in 2. Phenomenal.

• Thanks 1

If you look at the teams at the top of the table:

• Arsenal have Jesus or Nketiah, who are both very busy, intelligent strikers with good technical ability, but not what you're describing
  • City have Haaland ✅
  • Newcastle have Wilson who can be a bit like this on his day, and I think would have been a great signing for us, but he doesn't really dominate games
  • Man Utd have Rashford and Martial, who are more quick winger/strikers
  • Spurs have Kane ✅
  • Fulham have Mitrovic ✅
  • Brighton have mostly been playing with a false 9 (Trossard) although Ferguson has started the last two and is a classic centre forward
  • Brentford have Toney ✅

So it's kind of half half. Do we need to get the whole package in one player, or can we build a front 3 or 4 that can all score? I think you can do either nowadays, and there are a few top sides that don't have a star striker in the Haaland / Kane / Lewandowski mould.

I reckon we'll keep Watkins and Ings and look to gamble on a younger player from a more obscure league... a bit like Benteke... hopefully not another Wesley, but that kind of signing. There aren't any obvious candidates in the top leagues, unless we throw a lot of cash at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

• Arsenal have Jesus or Nketiah, who are both very busy, intelligent strikers with good technical ability, but not what you're describing
  • City have Haaland ✅
  • Newcastle have Wilson who can be a bit like this on his day, and I think would have been a great signing for us, but he doesn't really dominate games
  • Spurs have Kane ✅
  • Fulham have Mitrovic ✅
  • Brighton have mostly been playing with a false 9 (Trossard) although Ferguson has started the last two and is a classic centre forward
  • Brentford have Toney ✅

So it's kind of half half. Do we need to get the whole package in one player, or can we build a front 3 or 4 that can all score? I think you can do either nowadays, and there are a few top sides that don't have a star striker in the Haaland / Kane / Lewandowski mould.

I reckon we'll keep Watkins and Ings and look to gamble on a younger player from a more obscure league... a bit like Benteke... hopefully not another Wesley, but that kind of signing. There aren't any obvious candidates in the top leagues, unless we throw a lot of cash at it.

Really cool post. thanks

I think one of the main things that Tekkers had and many forwards don’t is that ‘bollox to everyone I’m going to score’ attitude and confidence. He had it at Villa but not at Liverpool, he was a completely different player there.

We need someone who can mix it physically, is strong technically, intelligent but also has a bit of swagger about them.

I was a bit gutted Chelsea hoovered up Datro Fofana as I thought he might have been a decent prospect based on the above.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

• City have Haaland ✅
  • Spurs have Kane ✅
  • Fulham have Mitrovic ✅
  • Brentford have Toney ✅

The 'big fella' No.9 is back in fashion, driven probably by Haaland. I think of it like an immune system. Current defences developed in an era where the big nine fell out of favour, and where most top teams used wide inside forwards as the main goal threat. Hell Liverpool with Firmino as a false nine almost did away with a central attacker entirely. So defences adapted, just like an immune system. 

Into this mix, add an old fashioned physical centre forward, and defences aren't as adept at countering it, like an old virus that the body has forgotten how to combat. 

Tactics are ever evolving and reverting to old ways to find an edge. Even 442 is coming back. It's just trying to present the opposition with something they are not equipped or aware enough to deal with. 

Mitrovic, only ever a relatively limited and fairly average striker historically, is looking like a beast at the moment. I think this might explain it. 

Rashford, Wilson et Al, all of a sudden look old hat. Although good players can adapt, and Rashford looks to be doing OK for himself. He'll never have the physicality of an old fashioned 9 though.

Edited by HKP90
Typo
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

• City have Haaland ✅
  • Spurs have Kane ✅
  • Fulham have Mitrovic ✅
  • Brentford have Toney ✅

I remember Liverpool in the 80s ( when they had Toshack and Keegan ) Those 2 scored a lot of goals BUT in that team,goals came from all over the park.With not all that many strikers aviable now,maybe we should go for that type of play ?!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

The 'big fella' No.9 is back in fashion, driven probably by Haaland. I think of it like an immune system. Current defences developed in an era where the big nine fell out of favour, and where most top teams used wide inside forwards as the main goal threat. Hell Liverpool with Firmino as a false nine almost did away with a central attacker entirely. So defences adapted, just like an immune system. 

Into this mix, add an old fashioned physical centre forward, and defences aren't as adept at countering it, like an old virus that the body has forgotten how to combat. 

Tactics are ever evolving and reverting to old ways to find an edge. Even 442 is coming back. It's just trying to present the opposition with something they are not equipped or aware enough to deal with. 

Mitrovic, only ever a relatively limited and fairly average striker historically, is looking like a beast at the moment. I think this might explain it. 

Rashford, Wilson et Al, all of a sudden look old hat. Although good players can adapt, and Rashford looks to be doing OK for himself. He'll never have the physicality of an old fashioned 9 though.

Good post, but I disagree with the last bit - Rashford and Wilson look fine in the setups they’re in.

The problem sometimes with the star striker is too much of the play revolves around him, and you can become a bit one dimensional. Spurs are so reliant on Kane that teams have worked them out. Haaland is so good and in such a stellar lineup that it doesn’t matter, but even he’s been pocketed a couple of times this season, and it blunts the goal threat.

I think some of the most dangerous attacking lineups in the PL have been teams that don’t have a big dominant striker - Mané/Firmino/Salah or Cole/Yorke.

The problem we have isn’t so much the player profiles - we have the athlete (Watkins), we have the speed merchant (Bailey), and we have the technical goalscorer (Ings). The issue is they’ve never really hit consistent form at the same time. If they all started firing together, we’d cause a lot of problems to any defence.

• Like 1

Â