January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree with you! Something doesn’t stack up and I don’t believe it’s the owners or the manager,

bearing in mind Nick....its only a suspicion, based on nothing, other than past experience in big corporates.

• Like 1

Chelsea aside, everyone else's transfer activity hasn't been that much more impressive than ours. Like us, Brentford, Everton, Leeds, Forest, Newcastle, West Ham and Wolves have offloaded a fair number of players while only adding two or three to the squad (just noticed Brentford have got Romeo Beckham on loan lol).

I doubt we're not trying hard to recruit or being too cautious about spending. I'm sure the manager and the club want us to capitalise on our recent form as much as we do.

Edited by His Name Is Death

Just now, Galway Lion said:

Taking a big gamble to go into second half of season with only one experienced striker and winger both who are very inconsistent. Worrying 

Yep we were after a winger before the window. With 24 hours to go, we’ve lost a main striker and an upcoming striker and only replaced with an upcoming striker.  I didn’t think this window our attacking options would get even weaker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

bearing in mind Nick....its only a suspicion, based on nothing, other than past experience in big corporates.

Yep it’s based on my experience in the corporate world as well.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

My impression was ,before this window opened, that much work was being done to strengthen the first team.....Europe was on the tips of tongues, The reports were that the owners were in bullish mood, to make this happen, with an Elite Manager employed, with a remit to move it on.....I thought Europe was fanciful, but it seemed thats what the owners were looking for with UE...."Build me  a Football team", I seem to recall reading what Nass said to UE initially........These noises don't seem to correlate to me, with whats been happening.

This has been a mirror of the summer, antics.....quick burst, and then stoney silence.

Something don't stack up to me.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and I am cool with that.....I just think something doesn't appear to be right to me, but not sure what.

I think the "mystery" is in plain sight. It's a completely distorted market, as we all see, and running around crying for a striker in desperation will get us too little (probably mediocre talent) to risk the certain huge fees?

I think it's worth remembering the damage done by Gerrard's time at Villa, among other problems. It was always going to take time to transcend that, and no January window would resolve all that. Too soon. Emery really has only been here for what, four months on the job? 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

Chelsea are just about to spend £115m on one player. They’re a team we’re *trying* to compete with. 

We’re gonna have to spend a lot of money in the Summer. 

Kudos to Benfica btw. Spending £8m on a player and then selling him for £115m 6 months later. The Premier League is an absolute joke. 

• Like 2

If we're moving Coutinho on (who has looked utter pants for ages and shoots like Tonev) then we 100% must be bringing in two or more players. There is no way we can leave ourselves in a situation where we can't even make a single attacking change (other than an unproven 19 year old and an unproven 17 year old).

• Like 2

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Chelsea are just about to spend £115m on one player. They’re a team we’re *trying* to compete with. 

We’re gonna have to spend a lot of money in the Summer. 

Kudos to Benfica btw. Spending £8m on a player and then selling him for £115m 6 months later. Todd Bohely is an absolute joke. 

Fixed this right up for you mate. 

• Thanks 1