January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

11 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Even looking at Gallagher's Crystal Palace stays, JJs numbers are 15-20% better in those areas, Gallagher also conceded a lot more fouls and 3 more yellow cards.

The stats just don't back up what you're saying I'm afraid.

I'm not comparing him with JJ, someone else did.

There is 2 ways of looking at foul stats, and some can be unlucky decisions......shows commitment.

Stats are useful, but don't always tell you what you see, watching games.....Its also widely accepted getting called up for England, is a decent endorsement....when you think it took Jack some doing.

I would suspect, that many fans would welcome a Gallagher signing, just not at the expense of Guendouzi.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Sure. I don't doubt it. I just feel he'd have preferred someone from La Liga that he might know better who might be better value. 

More than likely. But I'm sure Emery would be open to suggestions from the scouting team, especially as it appears we have failed in our main targets from La Liga (Nico Williams, Luiz Henrique & Lee Kang-In).

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I've only seen Gallagher a handful of times and each time, I've been impressed. He was far and away Palace's best player in the match where we beat them 2-0 at their place under Gerrard. Didn't he also really impress in an England shirt on his debut? 

I don't think we'll sign him, I don't even think we're interested, but he's not a bad player. He's around the same level as Ramsey. I certainly don't think he's any worse than Ramsey. 

I like busy players, would not turn my nose up, at another one.

49 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

So I've posted (stupidly on the Guendouzi thread) a reasoned argument why I think not signing a striker in the short term is a mistake. I've backed that up with analysis on goals scored and conceded this year, both as a whole, and during Emery's tenure. For my viewpoint I've had a number of responses which range from 'we should only go in for the right players' (reasonable) through 'Trust Emery' (understandable), to 'bedwetter' (stupid). 

No one, however, has given any substantial response to the question 'what do we do in the short term to score the gap in goals from the Ings sale' that was backed up by any sort of reasoning aside from a vague- they'll be picked up by the other players (who would all have to exceed their career best goalscoring ratios simultaneously to do this). And no one has entertained the possibility that there may be injuries to key players, or rather they have, but have referred to it as 'unlikely', which is fine but in no way acknowledges any associated risk. Somehow it is my concerns that are being attacked as 'unreasonable' and 'impatient'. Deranged even. 

I am very much more than happy to receive reasoned arguments that change my mind. 

If anyone else calls my opinion 'bedwetting' and then goes on to give absolutely no justification, other than faith things will work out OK, then, however, I am going to lose my s**t. 

'what do we do in the short term to score the gap in goals from the Ings sale' - we have signed a striker in this window

you have said  yourself that there is a reasonable argument:

'we should only go in for the right players' (reasonable)

so i'm not sure why you're asking for additional reasonable arguments? we have signed strikers for the sake of it before (remember borja baston?) and it's clear now that if it's not the right player, we're not going to do the deal. some will support that (myself included), but some won't and feel that a striker that is not 100% what emery wants is better than no striker at all. and FWIW i don't agree with people calling those that are in this camp 'bedwetters'

also re: the ings sale, the recruitment team were criticsed of the signing at the time because we spent a lot of money that we wouldn't recuperate. well, we were presented with an opportunity to recuperate 15m of that, whilst also removing 120k a week off the wage bill, for a guy whose appearances are largely from the bench.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

More than likely. But I'm sure Emery would be open to suggestions from the scouting team, especially as it appears we have failed in our main targets from La Liga (Nico Williams, Luiz Henrique & Lee Kang-In).

Do we REALLY know who our main targets are/were.....or just Journo speculation?

Edited by TRO

44 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

To be honest, I switched off at 'what do we do in the short term to score the gap in goals from the Ings sale' because I don't recognise any gap of concern. Watkins will need to play better as will others but as we are improving steadily then I have no concerns about that.

I'm also thinking ..... why is this guy getting into a panic because he thinks we won't sign a forward ? Do you know something we don't ? 

Ings has started 1 PL game when Watkins was ill. Seems clear to me Watkins will start every game when fit (which is like all bar 3/4 games in his Villa career, he's always fit). 

So who is the option off the bench, I assume we use Duran which helps us get him up to speed for the PL and enhance his usefulness next season as a result. 

I think we are light in that additional versatile attacker / winger than Emery seems to be vocal about as a gap. I imagine a Loan option can help fill that if none of our top targets are available.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

So I've posted (stupidly on the Guendouzi thread) a reasoned argument why I think not signing a striker in the short term is a mistake. I've backed that up with analysis on goals scored and conceded this year, both as a whole, and during Emery's tenure. For my viewpoint I've had a number of responses which range from 'we should only go in for the right players' (reasonable) through 'Trust Emery' (understandable), to 'bedwetter' (stupid). 

No one, however, has given any substantial response to the question 'what do we do in the short term to score the gap in goals from the Ings sale' that was backed up by any sort of reasoning aside from a vague- they'll be picked up by the other players (who would all have to exceed their career best goalscoring ratios simultaneously to do this). And no one has entertained the possibility that there may be injuries to key players, or rather they have, but have referred to it as 'unlikely', which is fine but in no way acknowledges any associated risk. Somehow it is my concerns that are being attacked as 'unreasonable' and 'impatient'. Deranged even. 

I am very much more than happy to receive reasoned arguments that change my mind. 

If anyone else calls my opinion 'bedwetting' and then goes on to give absolutely no justification, other than faith things will work out OK, then, however, I am going to lose my s**t. 

I think it is a valid concern. Personally, I still think we are likely to get in a loan stopgap - probably not someone who is going to make every one happy, but cover till the summer.

But if we don't, there's not much more to say other than a) let's hope we don't get injuries to the few forwards/wingers we have (on a side note, I seem to recall a couple of seasons ago that many were touting Watkins record for not getting injured - and then he did almost immediately), and b) let's hope we get more goals from set-pieces, midfield and youngsters. That would obviously be the expectation from Emery and I guess we just have to have confidence in him. 

But, yeah, we will obviously be slightly weaker than before the window and there is risk it will bite us. Hopefully this will be irrelevant over the next 24 hours!

2 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

ASTON VILLA
INS: Alex Moreno (£12m, Real Betis), Jhon Duran (£14.75m, Chicago Fire).

OUTS: Cameron Archer (loan, Middlesbrough), Frederic Guilbert (free, Strasbourg), Indiana Vassilev (undisclosed, St. Louis City), Danny Ings (£12m, West Ham), Morgan Sanson (loan, Strasbourg).

Total spend: £26.75m

I'm not overly concerned if we do no more business, we'll be a little short in some areas but I trust Mr Emery to find solutions to those problems. The squad was bloated, we've trimmed some of the fat, not lost a limb.

I think this is key. Pretty much everyone we've lost (except Ings) doesn't impact our first team squad at all.

Moreno improves our first team squad, Duran adds a bit of squad depth but may improve it by next season.

• Like 2

Good post and puts it into perspective.

I still think we've had a fairly weak window, but I'm calm with it. We've bought 2nd choice players for years and haven't progressed as we hoped. Go get your guys now or in the summer.

If we do end up having to go to the 'next best' I'd rather they had a pre-Season before they get chucked in with our pessimistic, low-patience crowds anyway tbh

51 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

a lot of loan deals don't have recall options - QPR have a tiny squad, doubt they would let a player from their regular 11 go back if no recall clause. 

Find it odd we let Archer go on loan, then sold Ings???

If we sold Chambers we would need to bring Swinkels or Bogarde on the bench.

I don't, we have signed a CF who's played 70+ senior games in mens football. Colombia and MLS. Not the same level as PL of course but he's physically up to it like say Carney is. So it makes most sense to give Archer more games (he's had barely 20 championship games in his career) and then giving Duran the time off the bench in PL. 

We are short an experienced attacker who can play in either the Striker or Wide Forward / Winger role. As Watkins + Duran isn't an option, so if Bailey is injured we don't have another wide forward to put in. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

I think it is a valid concern. Personally, I still think we are likely to get in a loan stopgap - probably not someone who is going to make every one happy, but cover till the summer.

But if we don't, there's not much more to say other than a) let's hope we don't get injuries to the few forwards/wingers we have (on a side note, I seem to recall a couple of seasons ago that many were touting Watkins record for not getting injured - and then he did almost immediately), and b) let's hope we get more goals from set-pieces, midfield and youngsters. That would obviously be the expectation from Emery and I guess we just have to have confidence in him. 

But, yeah, we will obviously be slightly weaker than before the window and there is risk it will bite us. Hopefully this will be irrelevant over the next 24 hours!

I'd be happy with a loan stopgap. We just need someone who can get around 5-7 goals during the rest of the season. A super-sub loan is what we need. As I've said before, I'm happy that we don't go bonkers in January, and happy that some of the 'fat' is off the books, but the forward area is painfully light atm.   

Ill be honest i dont think our squad was that bloated. I think we had maybe one or two players more than needed but hvae 7 subs now you need bigger squads.

We only saw last week havibg two keepers on bench who easy things could change

Our bench vs leicester is going to be very weak if no one else comes in

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill be honest i dont think our squad was that bloated. I think we had maybe one or two players more than needed but hvae 7 subs now you need bigger squads.

We only saw last week havibg two keepers on bench who easy things could change

Our bench vs leicester is going to be very weak if no one else comes in

It will be a bench that has McGinn, Digne and Dendoncker on it though. Not saying it's strong, but there are a few options. Add Carlos to the mix in a couple of weeks time and it's not THAT bad!

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I don't, we have signed a CF who's played 70+ senior games in mens football. Colombia and MLS. Not the same level as PL of course but he's physically up to it like say Carney is. So it makes most sense to give Archer more games (he's had barely 20 championship games in his career) and then giving Duran the time off the bench in PL. 

We are short an experienced attacker who can play in either the Striker or Wide Forward / Winger role. As Watkins + Duran isn't an option, so if Bailey is injured we don't have another wide forward to put in. 

Agreed, it's not the sale of Ings as such, it's the timing. A wide forward who can act as backup to the (so far) less than prolific Bailey, and can bag a few would be great. Watkins can play wide, but we know he's not at his best there, and we wouldn't then have any recognised strikers.

I think it would be a bit unfair (although it would be great) to expect Jhon to come straight in and start firing immediately. I'm hoping he can be immense for us, but that's medium term.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

It will be a bench that has McGinn, Digne and Dendoncker on it though. Not saying it's strong, but there are a few options. Add Carlos to the mix in a couple of weeks time and it's not THAT bad!

All options in the middle, or at the back though. And none are particularly creative.