January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

8 minutes ago, messi11 said:

No thanks. Massive wages, terrible injury record, terrible stats. That would be a Purslow and Gerrard signing. 

Agreed, similar to my JWP point. I hope we don’t target names for the sake of it and blow our finances on massive fees and wages. It’s so easy to get burned, look to the past… 

We must find value and get the “right” players in, that’s so important.

I don’t really want Chelsea cast offs, even if they have quality, because you just know they’re going to demand the big bucks and might not even make the desired impact. Then we’re lumbered with more expensive dead weights… paying out massive wages for players that spend half (if not more) of their time on the treatment table is a recipe for disaster too…

It’s only worth spending heavily on genuine quality that will definitely upgrade, impact and fit into the team and Unai’s plans and systems. Otherwise, we try to find value…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

I think with Emery we will see signings with different attributes. In that the quality of the players we will have could be broadly similar but they offer different things. So for different positions we can choose different players for different opposition and different game states. This gives us a different edge to many opposition and it's this flexibility which Emery excels with. Once given a large player budget the way we have at Villa he can hopefully execute his plans to a higher level.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I just knew that comment was going to be misconstrued 🤣 it’s always the case, though you’ve been fairly mild tbf compared to the usual responses. People sometimes seem to get defensive or offended by the sort of opinion I’ve expressed…

I’ve never called him a crap or poor player.

What I’m talking about, is value.
I didn’t say he was old or past it either, but he’s not good enough or young enough to justify a massive outlay, not for us imo, and that’s my main point. I’d hope the club is beyond that kind of mentality…

Yes, he’s more than free kicks but it’s his greatest attribute. Take that away, and he is not one of the best midfielders in this league or Europe. If he was, he’d be a guaranteed international player - he sometimes doesn’t even get in the squad, for whatever reason. There is much more of a limelight and bias on English and PL players anyway, and it’s not always justified… excess hype is rife…

Also, if he’s such a great player, why have none of the “top clubs” ever really attempted to sign him? Soton have lost many of their best players over the years… something worth considering…

I’m not berating the player. But, I would be upset if we, as a club, overspend on “names” or the “knowns” rather than the “lesser knowns”… if that makes sense. It’s about managing finances sensibly and getting the best “bang for our buck”.

Why blow, I don’t know, say £40m+ and a massive wage packet on a single player that isn’t going to improve the team all that much (he’s not better than Luiz or Kamara (who had his number yesterday) anyway, or Guendouzi if we are targetting him) when we could spread that out and buy 2-3 quality players that will boost the team more and might have some longevity about them?

Players on the way up rather than those who’ve hit their peak or, even worse, on the way down please. We should have learned our lessons by now.

Anyway, it’s just my opinion. Not about who is right or wrong.

I just think, it’s best to carry out good scouting (after all, so much is invested in it) and broaden our horizons - find the best talent and potential out there rather than go the obvious and expensive route - many clubs have suffered that way, Everton? 

Fair enough, thanks for your reasoned explanation (I've run out of likes👍). 

• Like 2

Just now, John said:

Fair enough, thanks for your reasoned explanation (I've run out of likes👍). 

Thanks, appreciate your candour.

By all means disagree with me, I haven’t a clue, just an opinion 🤣

Just felt the need to properly explain the point I was trying to make.

Better to have a polite and reasoned debate rather than the same old, petty “internet arguments”. 🤣

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Thanks, appreciate your candour.

By all means disagree with me, I haven’t a clue, just an opinion 🤣

Just felt the need to properly explain the point I was trying to make.

Better to have a polite and reasoned debate rather than the same old, petty “internet arguments”. 🤣

I disagree with this bit

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

As we are buying central midfielders and playing them 'wide' could always try for JWP again.

JWP would have the ultimate January surcharge on him.  Basically he is critical to Southampton's hopes to staying up this season.  Selling him would be tantamount to admitting that they have given up and have already started planning for Championship football.  His value drops significantly in the summer if Southampton go down and drops quite a lot even if they stay up as it will allow some rebuilding to try and avoid being caught up in the same situation next season.

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Unai has clearly stated that he's after a winger as a top priority. 

I would love for us to go after Pulisic given how ridiculously Chelsea are being run right now. He has no guarantee of European football next season and has already stated that there's a good chance he's leaving the club this month. 

Would be expensive as hell, but at 24 and where we're going, it would be amazing. 

Really don’t like his injury record 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, allani said:

JWP would have the ultimate January surcharge on him.  Basically he is critical to Southampton's hopes to staying up this season.  Selling him would be tantamount to admitting that they have given up and have already started planning for Championship football.  His value drops significantly in the summer if Southampton go down and drops quite a lot even if they stay up as it will allow some rebuilding to try and avoid being caught up in the same situation next season.

Fair enough I didn’t say we have to purchase him this window.

personally I only see the need for a striker as previously mentioned.

id rather play what we have and buy in the summer when the current players valuations and desirability has increased 

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Fair enough I didn’t say we have to purchase him this window.

personally I only see the need for a striker as previously mentioned.

id rather play what we have and buy in the summer when the current players valuations and desirability has increased 

I’d put striker third, if not fourth on the list. The priority for me is winger and support striker. 

My choices for now….

LM/CAM  Daichi Kamada

RW/SS  Johan Bakayoko

RM/CM  Matteo Guendouzi

ST  Gonçalo Ramos

In the Summer…..

LCB  Pau Torres

RB/CB  Mohamed Simakan

LB  Adrien Truffert

If I’m being greedy…..

CM (goal threat)  Orkun Kokcu

• Like 1

Sanson is going on loan to Strasbourg for the rest of the season, according to L'Equipe.

Gives further strength to the idea that another central midfielder is coming in this window.

16 minutes ago, Wes said:

Sanson is going on loan to Strasbourg for the rest of the season, according to L'Equipe.

Gives further strength to the idea that another central midfielder is coming in this window.

Especially as we know Nakamba isn't in our plans at all. We're short in the midfield department now. 

21 minutes ago, burchy said:

My choices for now….

LM/CAM  Daichi Kamada

RW/SS  Johan Bakayoko

RM/CM  Matteo Guendouzi

ST  Gonçalo Ramos

In the Summer…..

LCB  Pau Torres

RB/CB  Mohamed Simakan

LB  Adrien Truffert

If I’m being greedy…..

CM (goal threat)  Orkun Kokcu

You make some excellent choices. 
Better than the big name/high cost/big wages/poor form players I've seen crop up in this thread today.

Edited by messi11