January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I agree but I don't think anybody is saying that we don't need to sign another attacker.

Post a few pages back saying Duran is Ings replacement! So that's a big risk although I very much doubt UE is thinking that. Another said Delufeou is going to replace Ings. More proven but he's a completely different profile. And also been injured for over two months.

If we were overflowing with wide players in the squad then I could understand but we've got Bailey and then it's just playing some central midfielders in wide positions.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Post a few pages back saying Duran is Ings replacement! So that's a big risk although I very much doubt UE is thinking that. Another said Delufeou is going to replace Ings. More proven but he's a completely different profile. And also been injured for over two months.

If we were overflowing with wide players in the squad then I could understand but we've got Bailey and then it's just playing some central midfielders in wide positions.

'Replacement' is the questioanble term here, as we sold Ings because he doesn't fit into the system, so we're not going to replace him with a similar player. Duran is a lot more like Watkins, so he'll come in as his back up which was a gap we had in the squad. Deulofeu would be a much more useful player to have given that he can play wide and up top. 

Just now, Mantis said:

I'd imagine we will try and sign another striker this window. Ings was on pretty hefty wages as well so that will free up some space.

I think the attacker we'll sign will be able to play up top and out wide too, which would maximise our options. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

I'd imagine we will try and sign another striker this window. Ings was on pretty hefty wages as well so that will free up some space.

They'll have a list of maybe 2/3 strikers they want. If they're not available in Jan, we'll wait until the summer. I actually don't think we'll replace Ings now. I'd much rather see us go for a Deulofeu type. 

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

'Replacement' is the questioanble term here, as we sold Ings because he doesn't fit into the system, so we're not going to replace him with a similar player. Duran is a lot more like Watkins, so he'll come in as his back up which was a gap we had in the squad. Deulofeu would be a much more useful player to have given that he can play wide and up top. 

Emery's always had those sorts of CFs at previous clubs though. Lacazette and Aubameyang at Arsenal, Moreno as mentioned above at Villareal so I'd still expect one with that profile to come in at some point over next two weeks.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You can't count Gerrard's games as part of this system and Emery's record since he has come in speaks for itself.

Moreover, the way we play isn't just designed for strikers to score goals - other positions chip in too. 

OK, but the League stats under Emery show that: 

Ings scored 30% of goals, Watkins scored 10% of goals, with 40% coming from the striker positions, 60% from others.

Before Emery:

Ings 33%, Watto 16%, overall Striker contribution 49%

Strikers do not seem to be any less important in terms of goal scoring under Emery than previous Managers this year. 

In addition, even under Emery Ings scored 30% of our goals. 

If you take Ings' contribution out of the total (I know that this is disingenuous because someone would have played in his place) then we are joint second lowest scorers in the league ahead of Wolves. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

His name's Darío and he crosses to Duran

His name's Dario and he dances on the wing,

His cross finds Bailey who will mishit everything. 

It works for watkins too, and Duran, although I'm hopeful we do have one forward still on our books that can strike a ball cleanly and at goal. 

Edited by MrBlack