January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Just have a feeling we will be bringing Deulofeu in (could be completely wrong 🤣) shortly and he will fit right into Emery’s plans and be quite a dangerous and effective player for us, at least in the short term. Seems to have had a new lease of life at Udinese and has been one of the top performing attackers in Serie A…

Playing more as a striker, getting goals and assists. Carries and holds onto the ball well and a genuine threat from free kicks.

Would love a few of these:

spacer.png

We will be bringing a few more in too… we will become better as a team overall… Unai knows what he’s doing. We haven’t been great, that’s all about to change under his management…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

You have to imagine the selling of Ings implies bringing in a winger who can play upfront as well. I can't imagine we will bring in more than 2 more players this window. And since we are linked to guendouzi, I'd guess we'd only sign an actual winger who can play upfront.

Thuram as some have mentioned, Danjuma who played for emery at villareal, Delefou as we've been linked with. Or maybe someone more outside the box (well hopefully they'll be able to get in the box and score but still) 

• Like 1

My Gut feeling, and ive no other evidence for that - I think well sign Moussa Dembele............ Wasnt the galatasaray chairman quoted last week saying hes pulled out as hed heard he was coming to Villa

Out of contract in summer, available for nominal fee, probably a cheaper wage deal than Ings

Wide player will be next: will give Emery the flexibility to play Watkins or Duran centrally + either Bailey and A.N. Other either side, or just the one behind the main striker in case we want to pack the midfield. If Nakamba or Sanson leaves, another central midfielder (Guendouzi?) will be coming in.

All of this gives us way more flexibility in the way we approach games; gives Ollie a shot in the arm by playing him centrally, rather than wide (at least for a bit); and gets a big chunk of wages off the books with Ings's departure. It rebalances the side following the 'let's replace Jack with three blokes' fiasco and the 'wingers, we don't need wingers' approach pioneered by the footballing genius that was Stevie G. 

Is it a risk? Is it sensible? The answer to both of those questions can be 'yes'. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I give up with you. Its ok to criticize the club as whole from time to time you know

You - who’ve gotten so upset with selling Ings that you’ve opened a new thread in its honour, called the club total mugs and now think it’s the right time to criticise the club ‘as a whole’ - are exasperated with me? 

Okay boomer.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

We didn't buy Grealish and that was never my point.

My point is simply we very very rarely make any profit on player sales.

Surely people see this isn't going to work if we are to become self sustaining and not rely on owner bailouts time after time.

I feel like I'm the only one getting frustrated by this.

I think it is more to do with the size of our club revenue wise which makes moving players on for profit more challenging.. As an example, if Brighton had bought McGinn and Mings for the same value as we did at the same time as we did, then it is likely that those two players would already have been moved on already, for a profit.. However we are a big enough club to offer new contracts at higher wages for those players..

That's the way I look at it anyway... takes away some of the frustration for me..

5 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I hope we don't end up shooting ourselves in the foot selling Ings.

Let’s face it, we can do better than Ings. For the outlay, he should have been our no.1 CF and consistently banging in the goals. That hasn’t been the case, whatever the argument.

Time to move on and look forwards.

We will be active, Unai has a plan.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The timing of this is bad, completely disrupts out preparation for Southampton.

Sorry are you suggesting Ings was starting on Saturday? He’s not started any of the league games since the World Cup, the only slight impact on preparation will be Emery deciding who takes his place on the bench

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

My Gut feeling, and ive no other evidence for that - I think well sign Moussa Dembele............ Wasnt the galatasaray chairman quoted last week saying hes pulled out as hed heard he was coming to Villa

Out of contract in summer, available for nominal fee, probably a cheaper wage deal than Ings

Interesting. Apparently Everton are in for him and he would be around 18m.  Ings out and Dembele in for more or less the same amount would reassure a few disgruntled fans about us selling Ings.

8 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

Interesting…

Well, in any case, it’s going to be a very interesting and exciting time before the close of window for us…

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Interesting. Apparently Everton are in for him and he would be around 18m.  Ings out and Dembele in for more or less the same amount would reassure a few disgruntled fans about us selling Ings.

Unless he goes to Everton then it is best staying off the site until the end of the window 😄 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Imagine if we bring in Guendouzi and Thuram…

Good friends? Join up with Kamara.

Bye Digne, you’re next 🤣

And Phil…

If Digne wages weren't so high, I'd have absolutely no issue keeping him.

We could do much worse.

If we can afford to keep him we prob should.

2 minutes ago, mole86 said:

Sorry are you suggesting Ings was starting on Saturday? He’s not started any of the league games since the World Cup, the only slight impact on preparation will be Emery deciding who takes his place on the bench

Well considering we don't know if Watkins is fully fit or not, there was a real possibility he might have.

Said it before, but I would really love for us to have a technical striker, a “cultured finisher” with a variety of goals in his arsenal.

Someone who has more approaches than blasting it hard and low. Can take on the keeper, excellent in one on ones, chips, lobs, volleys, headers, curlers, pile drivers… the lot basically 🤣

Who was the last player we had like this? This seem to be a dying art form imo, it’s supposed to be the beautiful game! 😆

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You - who’ve gotten so upset with selling Ings that you’ve opened a new thread in its honour, called the club total mugs and now think it’s the right time to criticise the club ‘as a whole’ - are exasperated with me? 

Okay boomer

I'm starting to see why your banned from.H&V.

Also what's a boomer because whatever that is I am not one.

• Haha 1