January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Maybe, but I wouldn't pretend to know tbh, that is why I haven't put a stupid list on here like I usually do lol

I think most of us assume it is a 4222 but how do the full backs work in that system?
How does the second striker work in that system?
What is the full role of second set of 2's? 
In attacking, defensive and transition phases.....

I don't think any of us know this yet and then you have to add in that the one thing we do know is Emery likes to use specific players for specific types of games, it isn't just I think this is my best 11 so just put them out if fit like most managers do.

https://tacticallyspeaking.co.uk/2023/01/04/why-has-the-4-4-2-formation-returned-and-whos-using-it/ This article explains it well. I’ve also seen people suggest what I think could be true that our right back is going to be used to form a back three. Could answer why emery’s using young over cash as I think he’s a lot better defensively. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

https://tacticallyspeaking.co.uk/2023/01/04/why-has-the-4-4-2-formation-returned-and-whos-using-it/ This article explains it well. I’ve also seen people suggest what I think could be true that our right back is going to be used to form a back three. Could answer why emery’s using young over cash as I think he’s a lot better defensively. 

Nice link, I understood that already with the exception of the 352 part already, however it is about how it is adapted for us, its a very nebulous system it can mean many things to different people, I need to see it in practice with our players as that will define what is needed.

This is one of the two reasons I gave that I wanted very few signings this window, the second being I knew things would pick up under Emery and there was a fair chance that some unfancied players would become more attractive to buying clubs driving their price up for more summer business.

Thankfully for the rest of you who want new players I'm not in charge

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Good little read that. The line at the end about teams who struggle with transitions, we have been guilty of that for a long time. Always seemed to be conceding goals in transition. Kamara has helped that with his exceptional ball recovery but I'm sure the 4 4 2 will help also.

• Like 2

Wouldn’t be surprised to see us line up like this towards the end of the season…

———————Watkins———————
—————————Bailey——————
Ramsey——New——Kamara—New
Moreno—Mings—Carlos——Young
———————Martinez———————

And then a new right back and a second striker being the main priorities in the Summer. 

18 hours ago, RicRic said:

No to mckennie yes to Guendouzi … the way we came out with the signing yesterday could be someone completely off the radar which we know little or nothing about.. alll we see is a ‘ is set to sign’ tweet and thats it 😊

Wait until the reaction when its revealed to be Oxlade Chamberlain 😛

I know we don't have Gerrard anymore so we stop looking at Liverpool players, but Naby Keita on a free wouldn't be a bad signing, he's only 27. Would slot in nicely alongside Kamara. Won't happen as he is a CL level player 

40 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Don’t think if Guendouzi comes in it’s to replace Luiz in the starting line up, it’s to play with Luiz and Kamara.  Can’t imagine Emery wanting to break the growing partnership of Luiz and Kamara.  Guendouzi will just be adding to it as the three of them.

As one of the wide midfielders probably.

3 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Is there any truth to the McKennie rumours? The papers seem to be going hard on that link. Apparently now he's 'desperate to join Spurs' 🤣 for some reason (aim a little higher Weston). Seriously though, I'm not to sure about this one.   

I hope not. He's always looked very "meh" to me. 

37 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Is there any truth to the McKennie rumours? The papers seem to be going hard on that link. Apparently now he's 'desperate to join Spurs' 🤣 for some reason (aim a little higher Weston). Seriously though, I'm not to sure about this one.   

No, no truth at all I can confirm. McKennie isn't the player Emery is looking for.

• Haha 1

In that analysis a few posts back he talks about Parejo being the creative/progressive CM in the Villareal side, is Guendouzi going to be this for Villa? His stats are very similar to Luiz’s so I’m thinking he might be a 433 CM option as opposed to the CM creator.

I was just looking at progressive passing stats CM wise and Enzo Fernandez scores highly (no go I know) but it surprised me how close a guy I’ve been pushing for us to look at due to his goal scoring ability from deep (Kokcu) was to E Fernandez and to Parejo. 

I really think he’d be great in our midfield and hope he’s on our list, if Guendouzi isn’t earmarked for that creator role. 

38 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

I don't believe we were ever in for him.  All just rumours, and likely his agent or Juventus trying to get his name about.

2 minutes ago, randy_69 said:

Azzedine Ounahi, anyone know much about him other than a good World Cup?? Not exactly a reputable site but links to Italian journos too…

http://sportwitness.co.uk/chief-talking-to-aston-villa-more-for-players-sale-emerys-side-overcome-competition-for-signing/

Never even heard of him before the world cup. I'd be wary of signing players after having a good world cup.

4 minutes ago, randy_69 said:

Azzedine Ounahi, anyone know much about him other than a good World Cup?? Not exactly a reputable site but links to Italian journos too…

http://sportwitness.co.uk/chief-talking-to-aston-villa-more-for-players-sale-emerys-side-overcome-competition-for-signing/

He looked excellent in the WC but know nothing of him outside of that