January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Getting £6m+ a year off the books would interest the club a lot.

Not a chance.  They knew what his contract was and we’re happy to pay for it, he’s contributing to the team materially and a big asset to the squad.  Emery has already said Ings isn’t a player he’s spoken to about leaving in January either.  He’s going nowhere and thank god!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Identifying a policy would be a good start. That might involve big backroom changes. 

I think in terms of balance we need a mix of:

• Height( depending on position, for aerial dominance)
  • Talent
  • Aggression
  • Character
  • Drive
  • Intelligence ( football)
  • Pace
  • Movement ( willingness)

We cannot expect to move on with too many samey players.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Nothing to do with our recruitment team. 

The problem is the turnover of managers. Gerrard wanted Digne who now doesn't fit Emery's system. Chelsea and Man Utd have been doing the same thing for years and years and years. Manager signs preferred player for their system, manager gets sacked, manager changes, system changes, new manager requires new players to fit new system. Repeat. 

I think we can all agree that Emery is the first coach we've had in over a decade who truly deserves a chance at bringing in his own players to suit his system though. 

The problem is Purslow 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Villa Fans : Let's sign a promising 23 year old with sell on value on a 5 year contract!

Villa player in 2 years time : Turkey, here I come! 

In fairness, if it weren't for the Super Lig, we'd have about 250 players on our books. 

• Haha 2

Fully prepared to be ridiculed for this but could Wan-Bissaka (on loan to begin with) be a useful player in the system we are trying to play?

With signing of Moreno it looks like we will have a attacking full back on the left and considering how Emery set up at Villarreal it seem likely that the RB will be more stay at home-ish. From what I remember he's great at tackling and terrible at crossing. But quite quick.

Seen that Wolves might be looking to loan him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think in terms of balance we need a mix of:

• Height( depending on position, for aerial dominance)
  • Talent
  • Aggression
  • Character
  • Drive
  • Intelligence ( football)
  • Pace
  • Movement ( willingness)

We cannot expect to move on with too many samey players.

You might get your wish, as I think emery wants to have a good mix in the squad, so he can utilise different skills for different opposition and phases within games. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, messi11 said:

We should go back in for Marcus Thuram 

Thought he’d dismissed us, wanting a higher team.  Chelsea are now all over it so we wouldn’t get a look it even though they have just got Felix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

Nothing to do with our recruitment team. 

The problem is the turnover of managers. Gerrard wanted Digne who now doesn't fit Emery's system. Chelsea and Man Utd have been doing the same thing for years and years and years. Manager signs preferred player for their system, manager gets sacked, manager changes, system changes, new manager requires new players to fit new system. Repeat. 

I think we can all agree that Emery is the first coach we've had in over a decade who truly deserves a chance at bringing in his own players to suit his system though. 

While that’s all true, back in the mists of time Purslow heralded s new way for Aston Villa which negated the change of manager. He said that the sporting director would build a squad around a style that was identifiable with us and that managers would be chosen along the same lines and would be able to slot in seamlessly. Pretty much like Brentford and Brighton do with great success. Then he sacked Dean and replaced him his pal Slippy G. 

So regardless of the sporting director if the CEO didn’t read his own memo we’re stuck on the merry go round like you said. There’s no doubt that Nas appointed Unai and will support him both financially and in terms or putting everything around him that gives him the best chance of success. If that includes a new sporting director and the CEO doesn’t like who Unai gives the nod to, then I think the CEO will follow Lange.

He may do anyway, when NSWE have finished their review of recruitment and conclude many of the problems can be attributed to Larry Limelight’s meddling with things outside his remit, particularly the complete and utter disaster of his vanity project. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

You might get your wish, as I think emery wants to have a good mix in the squad, so he can utilise different skills for different opposition and phases within games. 

Wonderbar.

34 minutes ago, sne said:

Fully prepared to be ridiculed for this but could Wan-Bissaka (on loan to begin with) be a useful player in the system we are trying to play?

With signing of Moreno it looks like we will have a attacking full back on the left and considering how Emery set up at Villarreal it seem likely that the RB will be more stay at home-ish. From what I remember he's great at tackling and terrible at crossing. But quite quick.

Seen that Wolves might be looking to loan him.

It was brought up here earlier, and you're right, you will be ridiculed for it, but it makes sense for what Emery wants. Like a lot of Man United players, Wan-Bissaka is not as good or bad as everybody believes based on the way the team is covered. He's better defensively than Matty, and about the same going forward. Also, while he's far from great, his crossing isn't terrible. If you go back two seasons when was the last time he played regularly, he had more goal creating actions per 90 than Reece James and Kyle Walker.

Edited by VillaHatesMe
  • Like 2