January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Danjuma is more of a finisher rather than a creator, was Villarreal's top scorer last season.  I think we have creators in the team, so my preference would be a finisher.  Danjuma will cost though, so Delofeu would be the cheaper option.

Danjuma might be 1 season wonder. 2 goals in 9 La Liga games. 0 assists. Not better than Ings, Watkins, Bailey if we want a finisher.

6 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Danjuma might be 1 season wonder. 2 goals in 9 La Liga games. 0 assists. Not better than Ings, Watkins, Bailey if we want a finisher.

Could be. This season he's coming off a long injury and a change of manager and playing style though.

• Like 1

As I'm sure it will come up.

Delofeu is 5ft 10

Danjuma is 5ft 10

Nicolas Jackson is 6ft 1

Chukwueze is 5ft 8

Marcus Thuram is 6ft 4

Mikel Merino is 6ft 2

Edit: Sarr is 6ft 1

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Apparently Ings has been told he can leave in Jan if clubs are interested.  Could see Southampton or Bournemouth being in for him.  Would want 10-15m of 25m we paid for him anyway.

Think that would be good for everyone involved. As long as we bring in the right replacement.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd be shocked.
SHOCKED GODAMMIT, if any club picks up Ings contract and offers him anything better. 

SHOCKED. 

Agree. If he is allowed to leave the best the club can hope for is for a someone to loan him and pay a chunk of the wages. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I'd be shocked.
SHOCKED GODAMMIT, if any club picks up Ings contract and offers him anything better. 

SHOCKED. 

It’s surprising how desperate clubs down the bottom get when they need a goal scorer.  Normally it isn’t the underlying issue when they are getting beat every game but they convince themselves lack of goals is.

• Like 1

I'd be shocked.

SHOCKED. 

I wouldn’t, he’s a goal scorer that still scores and as been discussed there aren’t  many around and clubs are looking for anybody that can score.  So 15m for a player that has shown he can score at several PL clubs even with his wages is attractive…

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Because we, as fans, look at the transfer fee and go "THAT'S THE AMOUNT SPENT RIGHT NOW!" but this isn't the case.

Loosely, spending money = spread across the life of the contract.  Receiving money = entirely to revenue straight away.  If Chelsea sold youth prospect Conor Gallagher for £30m this window and spend £105m on Enzo Fernandez who signs a 5 year contract, they'll be £9m in 'profit' as £30m received for youth player, £21m cost for year 1 of Fernandez.

Very crude example, but you can't just look at a transfer fee and apply it all to that period.

That's if the fee is undisclosed. If an actual fee is announced then it's usually the lot up front, as it has to be announced to go in the books. Undisclosed means that the buying club may not have to pay the full whack if, for example, they sell the player on, as the rest of the owed money comes from the club they've sold said player onto. So, for example, Jack was announced as £100m as City paid the full amount. Had the fee been undisclosed then yes, it would have been paid over the agreed period of his contract.

Ings is halfway through his contract, so an offer of £12.5m would see us break even on FFP, and I can see some clubs offering that. As for his contract, clubs might not offer the same he’s on right now, but they might be able to offer him more over a longer period of time in his contract. He’s also a good pro, so might value playing time at this stage of his career over wages. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

That's if the fee is undisclosed. If an actual fee is announced then it's usually the lot up front, as it has to be announced to go in the books. Undisclosed means that the buying club may not have to pay the full whack if, for example, they sell the player on, as the rest of the owed money comes from the club they've sold said player onto. So, for example, Jack was announced as £100m as City paid the full amount. Had the fee been undisclosed then yes, it would have been paid over the agreed period of his contract.

I don't think that's true.  A player is surely treated as an asset and, as such, will "depreciate" over the length of their contract.

A realistic positive outcome for the window:

Sell Sanson, Ings and Nakamba for c£25M. Guilbert on a free

Buy Thuram and Delofeu for about the same amount

I see Alex Scott is being mooted as available for £10M from Bristol City - good bargain that.

Gives us a platform for the summer to go big. Sell Konsa/Chambers, McGinn and Coutinho and bring in Pau Torres and Yerry Pino

Just now, bobzy said:

I don't think that's true.  A player is surely treated as an asset and, as such, will "depreciate" over the length of their contract.

It may have changed but that's what I read how it was a few years ago, as to why some fees are announced and some undisclosed, due to the structure of the payments, with it generally being the case that if a fee is announced that it's the lot up front. Of course, like any 'industry'., this may have changed in the last 3-4 years.

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd be shocked.

SHOCKED. 

Everton are in desperate need of a goal scorer 

Yeah don’t see anyone going for Ings. Just matching his salary would leave him the highest earner in about half of all pl clubs, much less increasing his salary to attract him to come. A longer contract may attract him, but may be unwise from the club’s perspextice considering he’s turning 31 at the end of the season and is already winding down.

I’d be shocked if we get a buyer. Clubs are more likely to gamble on lesser known goascorers from other leagues than rujn their wage structure for Ings imo. Especially if they get relegated anyway, imagine having his salary on the books in the championship. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp