January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

7 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We don't really have that many players to move on by the end of the summer window.

Sanson, Traore, Nakamba, probably Chambers and Olsen too. We'll release Wesley as he's only a year left in summer and Guilbert contract will expire. We have Hause and Davis who hopefully will have teams willing to sign them for a fee. Hause needs to get fit and playing though. 

Decision on Coutinho would need to be made. Probably same goes for Ings as he'd only have a year left. 

I'd say there is scope for 4/5 players coming in over next two windows with those above departing. 

I'd sell McGinn and Watkins tbh, just feels to me the right time in our evolution to move both on. Letting Ollie go would give Archer the minutes he needs aswell.

Would probably keep Ings around as squad player given the wages he's on so can't see any domestic club wanting him. Plus he can be insurance just in case the new CF needs time to adjust.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd sell McGinn and Watkins tbh, just feels to me the right time in our evolution to move both on. Letting Ollie go would give Archer the minutes he needs aswell.

I think selling Watkins in the hope that Archer will come good would be an incredibly risky thing to do.

If we were to go out and buy say Thuram and Abraham (I'm not saying we will, just for the sake of an example) we'd then have Thuram/Watkins on the left, Buendia/Bailey on the right and Abraham/Watkins/Ings in the middle - in that circumstance I'd sell Ings - but I'd want two in before I think about selling either.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We don't really have that many players to move on by the end of the summer window.

Sanson, Traore, Nakamba, probably Chambers and Olsen too. We'll release Wesley as he's only a year left in summer. We have Hause and Davis who hopefully will have teams willing to sign them for a fee.

Decision on Coutinho would need to be made. Probably same goes for Ings as he'd only have a year left.

Well that seems like a load of players to move on in the summer - you’ve named at least 8, and maybe 10!! 😱

Unai might take a look at Traore in pre season, his characteristics as inside forward may appeal and he'll still have I think two years left so he may get one more chance as we probably won't get big offers.

Can see all of Sanson, Nakamba and McGinn going which will allow us to integrate Tim fully into the squad and give us scope to sign another CM.

Young might retire aswell.

3 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

They give a 32 year old Danny Welbeck 60K a week and a 34 year old Adam Lallana 90k a Week

Ings would be a big signing for them! they so badly need a striker.

Both were free transfers

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

Well well well....a €75m striker (Nunez) misses chances like Ollie Watkins

Nunez is crap. Again people desperately wanted us to sign him in January when he was linked with West Ham

The grass isn't always greener

• Like 1

Regardless of what is out there Ollie just isn't quite good enough (work rate aside) and I suspect we sign someone who on the face of it isn't better than Ollie but fits specifically into what Emery wants. I suspect a similar situation for a winger/wide midfielder.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Unai might take a look at Traore in pre season, his characteristics as inside forward may appeal and he'll still have I think two years left so he may get one more chance as we probably won't get big offers.

Can see all of Sanson, Nakamba and McGinn going which will allow us to integrate Tim fully into the squad and give us scope to sign another CM.

Young might retire aswell.

Traores not doing very well in turkey so i cant see how he will get any time under emery

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Drogba was useless in his first season  with Chelsea and look how that turned out. 

Nunez is far from crap anyway. He’s non-penalty goal rate is 4th highest in the league, higher than the likes of Kane, Mitrovic, Toney. He’s just barely played this season. If he had played as much as watkins did for us this season, he’d be on 10 goals instead of the 5 he currently has.

I swear some of these “poor goalscorers” are just a victim of them not playing far less than people realized. For example, Gabriel Jesus is talked about as someone who couldn’t be relied on to score goals but during his Man City days, he was posting some very high scoring rates. Its just Pep rotated his forward line a lot so he lost a lot of playing time compared to a club like us who pretty much plays Watkins every single minute he’s available.

• Like 3