January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How good is Pau Torres?

Seeing links about replacing Ming's as first choice, from beacons of truth Teamtalk, via Football insider.

He's apparently a Left Footer but I'm assuming wouldn't be cheap 

I love Tyrone, but if we can find a better version of him, with him STAYING as a part of th squad I'm all for it.

Pau Torres and Carlos Starting CB pairing with Ming's/ Chambers/Konsa as depth?

One of the pods made a good point, as much as they are loved, Ming's and Konsa are essentially a Championship CB pairing.

I'd have Ming's over Konsa all day though!

Which is why it’s so unfortunate DC got injured. Think he and Mings would’ve been brilliant together. I’d love to see Torres and Mings together then have DC come back next year and have a battle for the two starting spots. Talk about upgrading. Going from Chambers, Konsa, Bednarek and Mings to Torres, DC and Mings. One can dream. But even if you could pull him away from Villarreal his release clause is around £55 million. It’s not out of the question but there are significantly more pressing issues at the moment.

• Like 1

And yeah, in any case in terms of centre back you'd imagine nobody is coming in until some go out. The whole saga around Sarr was weird, but if we're to believe what was reported and he was vetoed by Gerrard, then it suggests the club had identified a winger as being a necessary position to fill, especially given Bailey is the only player in the squad that out-and-out fits that description. Villa may not go back in for him but you'd think if any position is being prioritised in January then that'll be the one.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How good is Pau Torres?

He's out of our league sadly and would also blow most of our budget. We need to find the next Pau Torres. 

Edited by messi11

1 minute ago, STO said:

I'd like to see another forward and a right sided winger brought in.  If Kamara is back, I'd like to see us get a proper partner for him. 

You don’t think Luiz or Dendoncker are capable? Winger and forward should absolutely be top priority.

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

You don’t think Luiz or Dendoncker are capable? Winger and forward should absolutely be top priority.

Luis is more than capable, and Dendonker is a more than capable back up. 

• Like 2

We need a top quality No.8,

as it stands the only ones we have are McGinn and Jacob Ramsey,

we don't need any more holding midfielders, with Kamara, Dendoncker, Luiz, and Nakamba

we already have too many players for that position as it is.

Another midfielder can probably wait until the summer though,

especially if Emery is planning on playing with a double pivy and another ahead of them,

Luiz, Kamara, and Dendoncker can be the two holding players,

with one of Ramsey or McGinn in the more attacking role,

I doubt we will be seeing much more of Buendia in central midfied.

Edited by useless

Surprised Fornals is only a sub these days for West Ham, livened them up when he came on.

He's one I wouldn't mind us going in for in January or next summer if he wants more regular games. Still only 26 and that sort of inside player who will fit into Emery's long term formation.

2 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

The word capable suggests our bar is lower than is needs to be.  We need better than Luiz or Dendonker to move to the next level.  Just like we need better than Watkins. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, STO said:

The word capable suggests our bar is lower than is needs to be.  We need better than Luiz or Dendonker to move to the next level.  Just like we need better than Watkins. 

I don’t think that’s true at all. Of course it’s all a matter of opinion but when I say capable I think “players capable of starting on a squad that pushes for European spots.” You don’t think Luiz, who Arsenal tried to buy in the summer, can be that quality?

And let’s not bring Watkins into this because they’re two very different conversations. Watkins has continually proved he’s not capable of being a starter for us, let alone one that’s fighting for Europe. He has significant issues with some basic skills.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

4 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

With all this talk about how we need to be Newcastle… Was Bruno Guimares a January signing for Newcastle?

Guimaraes has raised his levels even further since joining Newcastle.  Coaching, more than recruitment, has turned Newcastle around.

• Like 2

We definitely need a top CB in January. Someone that can come in and play alongside Carlos. Otherwise we’re one injury away from having Mings and Konsa at the back again.

That’s where Newcastle have done really well. Sven Botman is a great signing for them and we need to do something similar in the next window.

Then it’s the most difficult bit, signing a striker. No idea who we can get in the January window. It should be an interesting one at least, especially as I expect Emery will want to trim the squad a bit too.

Tierney would be another I'd look at.

Probably will want to stick around for their title bid but next summer he could be tempted away unless he's signed a new deal.

As it stands he's behind Tomiyasu in pecking order and once Zinchenko is fit he'll be Arsenal's first choice LB.

This is where giving Digne a 4 and a half year deal wasn't a great move, he'll have to become an expensive sub option for us if Young retires.

4 hours ago, useless said:

We need a top quality No.8,

as it stands the only ones we have are McGinn and Jacob Ramsey,

we don't need any more holding midfielders, with Kamara, Dendoncker, Luiz, and Nakamba

we already have too many players for that position as it is.

Another midfielder can probably wait until the summer though,

especially if Emery is planning on playing with a double pivy and another ahead of them,

Luiz, Kamara, and Dendoncker can be the two holding players,

with one of Ramsey or McGinn in the more attacking role,

I doubt we will be seeing much more of Buendia in central midfied.

Giovani lo Celso? Reported fee is now £18mill. Always liked him as a player and thought he  had already left permanently. And considering spurs spent €50 odd mill on him he would be a good addition to replace Sanson and a definite upgrade on McGinn 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, thabucks said:

Giovani lo Celso? Reported fee is now £18mill. Always liked him as a player and thought he  had already left permanently. And considering spurs spent €50 odd mill on him and always thought he was a good player, think he’ll be on Emery’s radar 

Emery's taken him on loan twice in last 12 months so he'll certainly be on the radar if Villareal don't have an option to buy.

I didn't think he looked that bad for Spurs after the first six months settling in. Just one of those who'd have a run of starts and then pick up a niggling injury.

• Like 3

I like Lo Celso a lot too, even when he was at Spurs he did a good job of getting through loads of work in terms of tackles etc as well as the creative side that most people probably associate him with. The way he was used at times at Villarreal was a bit unconventional too so suggests he's quite smart tactically and could be used in different kinds of roles in midfield. Also the kind of profile of player you could see Villa realistically attracting. 

• Like 1