Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

It was a disappointing performance and result for me because i do truly feel that if we tokk the game to them we could have caused them issues. We didnt test lindelof and shaw enough. Look at when spurs put a little bit of pressure on them what happened? 

As for europe for me wolves game is key because if we lose that confidence takes a massive slump.

Suprised the spurs game isnt live as it could be a massive game. They should move it 5.30ko the atmosphere would be epic

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

True about Brighton’s home record.  As for Wolves, our away record since WC is pretty impressive as well even with the Man U defeat.  It’s going to be an interesting month.

When looking at the fixtures I had the Wolves game down as a draw but hoping they would be safe so we’d be going there with more to play for but not ideal having to play them after a 6-0 hammering as there will be some sort of reaction. Hopefully Kamara/Cash/Bailey might be fit for the game just so Emery can freshen the team up a bit. 

Can’t afford to lose to Wolves but I don’t think we will. 

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

But then of course, they won’t have played Man City at home in that run. It’s Bournemouth, Palace, West Ham, Fulham, Brentford, Wolves.

They beat Liverpool at home in that run, which is very good and clearly the stand out result of that 7 game record. But Liverpool were a bit out of sorts then (Liverpool lost 3-0 to Wolves around then) and I would argue that both the Manchesters are better than Liverpool were then.

You are right, this place on Thursday won’t be pleasant if Brighton do beat Man Utd. I won’t be happy. But I won’t be completely devoid of hope. Man Utd at home I think is the easiest of their four “hard” games.

We would have to do our bit though and that would probably mean going to Anfield and get at least a draw, with the rest being wins.

In regards to the teams it probably gives more confidence they will see off Everton and Southampton comfortably. In regards to Man Utd I just cannot ignore their shocking record away to somebody decent this year and Brighton will be up for it after that semi final loss against them. 

Going to need Man City to not have the league wrapped by that game fingers crossed.

I’m still confident Villa will finish at least 7th but if we lose to Wolves (I don’t think this will happen) the weekend it means having to get something at Anfield and I’ve got no confidence in that so would start having doubts. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's crazy that we're in a fight for Europe so I'm happy with whatever happens. Unless we end 9th behind Brentford or something 

If we end behind Brentford that will be massively disappointing.

• Like 1

If we can get Kamara and Cash back for the run in it would be huge. Think that is the difference between 6th-7th or 8th-9th. Bailey and Coutinho would be nice to have too but they don't tip the needle.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It was a disappointing performance and result for me because i do truly feel that if we tokk the game to them we could have caused them issues. We didnt test lindelof and shaw enough. Look at when spurs put a little bit of pressure on them what happened? 

As for europe for me wolves game is key because if we lose that confidence takes a massive slump.

Suprised the spurs game isnt live as it could be a massive game. They should move it 5.30ko the atmosphere would be epic

Man U are still a Top 4 team and yes they have some defensive issues and injuries but they had their best midfield back so it was always going to be hard especially at Old Trafford to get the ball and go at that defence.  Not having our best midfield contributed to that.  

Adding to that our players struggled with their passing yesterday especially Buendia, it shows a lot about our team that we only lost to a deflected goal in the end.  

Our performance wasn’t great especially first half, many of our players were off but still we only lost by a deflected goal and while they had other chances, we had chances like Dougies two shots in one play that he should’ve scored.  On reflection I’m less disappointed than I was during the game.

As you say, Wolves is a big game for us.  It’s not decisive to us getting Europe but winning gives us confidence and continues the run for Europe whereas losing makes it very hard to get Europe and relying on others to slip more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sne said:

If we can get Kamara and Cash back for the run in it would be huge. Think that is the difference between 6th-7th or 8th-9th. Bailey and Coutinho would be nice to have too but they don't tip the needle.

9th? we would have to implode and get virtually nothing and Brentford get a miracle including beating Liverpool away and Man City.  No chance.

Just now, nick76 said:

9th? we would have to implode and get virtually nothing and Brentford get a miracle including beating Liverpool away and Man City.  No chance.

Yeah I don't think they will gain 4 points on us either with the schedule they have left.

24 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I just hope we are competitive in the last games and try to win all of them. Falling flat on our faces after a season like we've had would be disappointing.

Only a little tbf. We had a terrible start and our confidence was through the floor when Emery took over - his remarkable turnaround wasn't predicted by anybody and the fact that we've got as far as we have is actually a tremendous amount of progress. All in all, whatever happens, it's been a successful season for us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sne said:

Think I disagree actually, we saw yesterday how little we have on the bench in an attacking sense. I'm not knocking Duran but he hasn't made any telling contributions at all yet, and Traore seems like a player whose unpredictability can cause problems for the weaker teams in the league but a side like United just handled him with ease. One of Coutinho or Bailey to be bringing off the bench would be another serious attacking option for days when eg Buendia and Ramsey aren't firing. 

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think I disagree actually, we saw yesterday how little we have on the bench in an attacking sense. I'm not knocking Duran but he hasn't made any telling contributions at all yet, and Traore seems like a player whose unpredictability can cause problems for the weaker teams in the league but a side like United just handled him with ease. One of Coutinho or Bailey to be bringing off the bench would be another serious attacking option for days when eg Buendia and Ramsey aren't firing. 

I'd like to have the option too but Coutinho has 1 goal and zero assists this season in the league and Bailey sits on 4+3.

If I had to chose between getting Kamara & Cash back or Coutinho & Bailey I know which ones I'd pick.

Edit: Put it like this. If we had Kamara and Cash playing yesterday I believe the game would have looked quite different. If we had Coutinho and Bailey available I think it would have looked much the same but we might have had a better opportunity to nick something.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

Just now, The_Steve said:

6th place decided at home against Brighton would make for such an amazing and tense but remarkable end of the season 

FTFY

• Like 3