Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think as crazy as it sounds that Man U at the weekend will be easier than against Wolves.

Agree its Crazy, because its not true. Only 1 team has beat Manchester at Old Trafford this season in the PL. Better Home record than Brentford where we struggled. 
7 teams have beat Wolves.

image.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Is there any difference between 5th and 6th? If not I'd rather Spurs lose to Liverpool 

They both get Europe, 7th probably too. Not sure about 8th - anyone know?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Weeeelllll. Whilst I'm loving the optimism, I think we need a bit of a reality check here. If the three teams below us win their games in hand they will be above us and we'll be 8th, so while it is a good position to be in, we need to not go mental as a fan base if we drop a bit (not that i'm implying you would, I mean the wider 'we').  

Yeah well we have to play them all as well. Without having checked it properly at least on of Brightons game in hand is against City. If we win them and they lose to City then thats 6 points gained. If they win their other two games in hand they’ll be at 55 points. So it’s as much in our hands as possible, but of course very tough!

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

They both get Europe, 7th probably too. Not sure about 8th - anyone know?

Unless Man United win the FA Cup but don't finish Top 4 (which is extremely unlikely): 5th and 6th get Europa League, 7th gets Conference League, 8th gets nothing regardless of scenario.

West Ham winning the Conference League will give them a Europa League spot, but this would have no impact on the spots given by league position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

They won't if we beat Man Utd.  If we win, we will have 57, If Liverpool beat Spurs they have 56.

You can't include our next result in that calc, it's a game in hand, regardless of when we play next.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, bose said:

Yeah well we have to play them all as well. Without having checked it properly at least on of Brightons game in hand is against City. If we win them and they lose to City then thats 6 points gained. If they win their other two games in hand they’ll be at 55 points. So it’s as much in our hands as possible, but of course very tough!

Brighton still have to play all of the current top 5.  7 matches in May in 24 days.  The chance of them winning all three of their games in hand is pretty low.

17 minutes ago, bose said:

Brighton have to play Arsenal, Man U and Newcastle along with us and Citeh. Plus some teams on the cusp of relegation who will certainly be scrappy.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

13 minutes ago, colhint said:

Would anyone prefer the conference. I think we could actually win that. Not saying we couldn't win the Europa but more chance. Nice to have a trophy.

Emery has won the EL every other time he's managed in it. It's literally 50/50!

11 minutes ago, colhint said:

Would anyone prefer the conference. I think we could actually win that. Not saying we couldn't win the Europa but more chance. Nice to have a trophy.

I would. Someone on here mentioned less fixture congestion so that coupled with a thin squad sounds like a positive to me. Plus it would give us two ways to qualify for Europa next season.

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I would. Someone on here mentioned less fixture congestion so that coupled with a thin squad sounds like a positive to me. Plus it would give us two ways to qualify for Europa next season.

Why would it be less fixture congestion?

17 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Why would we need this when next season we will qualify for Champions League 😉

Ideally Spurs drop to 8th as Brighton in Europe will tax their smaller squad more next season. Loss of any European football will harm Spurs especially financially. Kane leaving etc..

Liverpool are still Title contenders so them getting 5th or 6th is fine