Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

34 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm expecting fifth and then Jack scores the winner in the last minute of the Champions League final to make us qualify.

that scenario doesnt give a 5th place CL. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RichW said:

The draw should put an end to any unrealistic top 4 talk that was going on but at any stage of the season I would take a draw at Brentford. They are no mugs at home, think the winning streak had made some people too confident ahead of the game, was always going to be tough game today regardless of their form. More encouraged that Villa managed to get a draw from that game, normally 1-0 would turn to 2-0/3-0 and we’d be writing about how much of a soft underbelly the team had. 

Can’t play well every week, there’s always a bad performance round the corner in this league as Newcastle showed last weekend after 5 wins in a row. Beat Fulham Tuesday and it will be positive. The only thing that I think will stop Villa from finishing top 7 is an injury to Martinez, Mings or Watkins. As today showed when they are there’s injury to a key player there is too much of a drop off in quality. 

If martinez gets injured forget it. Olsen is embarrassingly bad. I dont even think he would be  a starter for blose let alone be our number 2. 

Im hoping it's jusf a minoor thing

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

only a place outside the top 4 if the club who wins it is outside the top 4..... Unless the rules have changed

I thought it was only the europa league winners that did that 

If it wasn’t’t before, Fulham is absolutely must win now.

Im hoping Wet Spam can show Liverpool some of the fight the showed Arsenal, a draw there would be nice.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

I thought it was only the europa league winners that did that 

Fifth place can’t earn a champions league place in itself. The maximum number of English teams allowed in the champions league is five. So if Man City won it this year and hypothetically finished outside the top 4, five teams would qualify including Man City. If two English teams won the champions league and Europa league and both finished outside the top four, they would both qualify for the champions league and the team finishing fourth would go into the Europa league. If Man City win the champions league this year, the top four teams only will qualify as normal. An extra spot doesn’t carry to fifth place. 

• Thanks 1