Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Liverpool only have 1 game in hand.  And they are dreadful this season away from Anfield.  The Euro places are still in Villa's hands regarding Liverpool, we have a 3point lead.

Brighton have 2 games in hand- against Newcastle and Man Citeh.  They will certainly drop points- likely lose both games.  Not to mention Villa play Brighton at home final match of the season.  The Euro places are still in Villa's hands regarding Brighton as well.  Brighton have a very difficult run of fixtures to close the season.  If anyone will run out of steam- it will be Brighton.  They will be playing 2 games per week for the nearly the rest of the season.

UTV

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ejs1111 said:

Liverpool only have 1 game in hand.  And they are dreadful this season away from Anfield.  The Euro places are still in Villa's hands regarding Liverpool, we have a 3point lead.

Brighton have 2 games in hand- against Newcastle and Man Citeh.  They will certainly drop points- likely lose both games.  Not to mention Villa play Brighton at home final match of the season.  The Euro places are still in Villa's hands regarding Brighton as well.  Brighton have a very difficult run of fixtures to close the season.  If anyone will run out of steam- it will be Brighton.  They will be playing 2 games per week for the nearly the rest of the season.

UTV

I’m sure I seen someone in this thread post an image that showed we statistically have the 2nd hardest run of fixtures. So although Brighton might have a difficult one, so do we.

Really wanted an arsenal win. To finish above Liverpool would be incredible really given they must have got about 50 more points than us last season.

We can only take care of our results and see where that takes us. 

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Indeed, and this is something that worries me. We are sixth at the moment so I think people's expectations are getting ahead of them. In reality, two teams below us have games in hand and we have a terrible goal difference and a challenging run-in. If we finish 8th, it will be a brilliant result. What we don't want is people being disillusioned with 8th and taking it out on Unai now that we have seen the bright lights of 6th. Anything better than 8th is an exceptional achievement. 

I can't see who'll be criticising UE considering what he's already given us. Wins v Man. United, Chelsea and Spurs. Maybe if we don't win a single game from this point but that's very unlikely.

What I do want us to do is massively exceed expectations for once. We're in a decent place now to have a serious go at top 6 so let's not act like it's Leicester winning the league 500/1 shot.

We win four more games this season and draw a couple and we'll go very close and probably finish 7th at worst.

I want our big time players like Emi and Kamara to be playing in european competition next season. They'll know then that with a few more smart additions we could have a serious go at CL in not too distant future.

What I don't want is a glorious near miss and people patting us patronisingly on the back. Top players don't think like that. Grealish didn't think 11th was amazing in 20/21 despite that being a very acceptable finish, we left and that one motion set a chain of events that meant we were 17th and losing 3-0 away to Fulham 18 months later.

Sometimes in football you have to seize the chance when it presents itself as you can't wait for other moments. We saw that in 08/09 under MON and that chance hasn't come around again since.

We're now back where we were two years ago with a world class manager and some very talented players across many positions so we need one last push and who knows what we can achieve.

How catchable do we think Spurs are?

Six points behind and they have -

Bournemouth (h), Newcastle (a), Man Utd (h), Liverpool (a), Palace (h), Villa (a), Brentford (h), Leeds (a).

We would need to beat them, I think that’s fairly reasonable to say. So that would be three points to make up over the other games. 

I don’t think they will get much from Newcastle, Man Utd and Liverpool. They are patchy when playing the lower placed teams, lost to Leicester, lost to Wolves, draws to Everton and Southampton.

I suppose what I’m half musing is we need to something like five or six of our remaining games to finish sixth, that’s a big ask. But IF we did that, we’d probably be in contention for overtaking Spurs as well wouldn’t we?

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Bournemouth (h), Newcastle (a), Man Utd (h), Liverpool (a), Palace (h), Villa (a), Brentford (h), Leeds (a).

We would need to beat them, I think that’s fairly reasonable to say. So that would be three points to make up over the other games. 

I don’t think they will get much from Newcastle, Man Utd and Liverpool. They are patchy when playing the lower placed teams, lost to Leicester, lost to Wolves, draws to Everton and Southampton.

I suppose what I’m half musing is we need to something like five or six of our remaining games to finish sixth, that’s a big ask. But IF we did that, we’d probably be in contention for overtaking Spurs as well wouldn’t we?

Far more if they hadn't got an insane amount of luck to win yesterday.

Even a draw and I'd have fancied our chances. They've got Bournemouth at home next so could easily be 8-9 gap by this time next week.

Don't think Spurs have drawn a single home game this season so that's why they're still comfortably above us despite a poor run of form in recent times.

If they win 3 of their last 4 home games they're on 62 points with a much better GD so that's the scale of the task.

Next season I'm very confident we'll finish above them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Liverpool's point gained I fear means they will catch us

Liverpool players only seems to put in the effort against the top team, beating ManU 7-0 before losing to Bournemouth. Their next matches are Leeds, Nottingham and West Ham, I expect them to drop some points from those fixtures. Hopefully they don’t see us as a top team when we play them 🙂

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

We want to be 2pts behind minimum when we play them which is not impossible

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Exactly. If we run out of steam now and still managed 10th, I would still be chuffed. The players are clearly buying into Emery and giving absolutely everything. All bodes well and sets up nicely for a real challenge next season. Honestly, I’ll take whatever place we finally finish in.

Going off topic now but even during the summer and preseason, I’ve total confidence in Emery getting our squad fit and ready. So many times we’ve seen players starting a new season appearing unfit and early results have suffered. Not on Emery’s watch now though.

10th would require one of Chelsea or Fulham overtaking us. Seems pretty unlikely at this point.

On 09/04/2023 at 20:39, ejs1111 said:

UTV

And if Liverpool win that game in hand, they will be above us on GD. 

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love it if we got 6th or better, and got into Europe, and I will be cheering on every game and every kick till the end of the season and hoping like hell.

If anyone can do it, Unai can. 

But if we don't, for whatever reason (don't forget we also have to beat VAR as well), then it should not be considered a failure, or missing out, because it won't be. Even being in the hunt and challenging is an exceptional achievement considering where we were when Emery came in. It bodes very well for next year. Very well indeed.

1 hour ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I think finishing 6/7th will mean far more to us than European football. I can see the next level of the owners ambitions being pushed on.

I agree. I also worry if we get to Europe before "we" are ready for it. Getting a sufficiently strong squad and getting them to compete as a team and not with each other.

Its crucial we win all our home games. If we can't win then make sure the other team drops 2 points. It will take an almighty effort to maintain 7th which we are capable of doing but it's at this point in the season players get tired and pick up injuries. I'm super excited for the run in and it's amazing we have a big prize to aim for. Hopefully Kamara returns in good shape and Cash and Carlos fit enough to help out. 

Edited by birdman

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

I’m sure I seen someone in this thread post an image that showed we statistically have the 2nd hardest run of fixtures. So although Brighton might have a difficult one, so do we.

Nah - we'll give them a game, whoever they are. The only teams we should fear are the Arse and Citeh. We can compete with everyone else. 

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nah - we'll give them a game, whoever they are. The only teams we should fear are the Arse and Citeh. We can compete with everyone else. 

I think that second half capitulation will have shaken Arsenal. They completely bottled that and it shows that under the right circumstances, their youth and inexperience can be exploited, like Liverpool did, with the help of the crowd.

• Like 1