Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I remember when most were saying European football is just a distant dream with this squad. I stayed positive, an that we might only just touch it, will be good enough for me.

I remember this, think you're referring to the beginning of last season under Smith? I'd hardly call that the same squad as we've since added Coutinho, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Kamara, Carlos, Duran and Moreno. We are much stronger now. Also it's taking a minor miracle, and title winning form to even have us up here.

58 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We win and everyone else in the group of six teams we're competing with lost - it's a perfect day.

Chelsea and Fulham are now a bad result or two away from completely dropping out of the running.

Two from Brentford, Liverpool, Villa and Brighton for Europe looks the most likely outcome.

As long as we don't lose at Brentford I can't see them getting enough points in the other games to get ahead of us. They still have to play away to Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool this season (although some draws in those would help us).

Liverpool is the sleeper team now. They're poor and disinterested but they were in a similar position in 20/21 and won their last 6-7 games that season. Hopefully the difference this time is they're too far back from 4th and so won't be as motivated as before as europa conference league dosen't have the same appeal.

Arsenal have a really poor record at Anfield so bit wary of that one especially if Liverpool score first. Arsenal's front players will cause them endless problems though so Liverpool probably need three goals to win that.

55 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness, I think us, along with fellow long sufferering fans of once great clubs ( Newcastle etc ) deserve a break.

We've been the butt of jokes and our history widely swept under the carpet by plastic fans and more modern fans who are too young to remember certain things 

I can't wait to be properly hated for success l, we are overdue some arrogance 🤣

* I want to get there the right way obviously.

Newcastle have never been great.

• Like 2

Language beginning to turn with the main outlets.

From BBC:

In-form Aston Villa maintained their push for European football next season with victory over relegation-threatened Nottingham Forest at Villa Park.

Villa have now won 11 of 17 games since Unai Emery took charge, with victory here their fourth in succession.

It had been a testing first half for Emery's men as the hosts struggled to get a foothold in the match, with Forest proving equal to their efforts.

Villa came closest to breaking the deadlock in the opening period when Ollie Watkins forced Keylor Navas into a stop from close range but chances were otherwise limited.

The game's opening goal could not have come easier for the hosts, though, as Bertrand Traore curled past Navas after Jonjo Shelvey cleared the ball into the path of the Villa man shortly after the restart.

Watkins sealed the result in the final minute of added time, chipping into the net after playing a one-two with Jacob Ramsey.

Forest's poor run of form leaves them 18th, inside the relegation zone on goal difference.

Villa, meanwhile, are six points off fifth-placed Tottenham with eight games remaining.

Villa's fortunes continue to improve

Emery has masterminded a complete turnaround of Villa's fortunes since taking the reins in October.

They had won just two of their opening 11 matches before the Spaniard's arrival but are now firmly in the mix at the top end of the table.

They struggled to cause any real issues in the scrappy first half, Alex Moreno's frequent forays down the wing one of their few bright attacking sparks.

Their confidence was much-improved after Traore's goal, though, and their performance finally sprung into life.

Emi Buendia came inches away from extending the hosts' advantage after Moreno charged past the defence but the Argentine sliced just wide of the near post.

Watkins' goal added to his own fine run of form, netting his ninth in 11 games.

Emery told BBC Sport: "Ollie is working very well and his commitment with the team is very important.

"When he's scoring we're very happy for him. He's helping with his quality. Everybody is supporting him, trying to assist him, like today how Jacob Ramsey decided to assist him.

"Ollie is scoring and for him, [it's] very good."

Villa have already surpassed last season's points tally and Emery will be hoping his side can maintain the pressure on the league's top sides throughout the run-in.

Aston Villa 2-0 Nottingham Forest: Villa close in on Europe - BBC Sport

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Newcastle/Win

Brentford/Win

Fulham/Win

Utd/Win

Wolves/Win

Spurs/Win

Liverpool/Win

Brighton/Win

My prediction for the run in. 

FTFY

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, supermon said:

Really need Boubs, Cash n Coutinho back for the final run in. Biggest fear is fatigue settling in. You could see it from today's first half performance 

I don’t think it was fatigue, I think we aren’t used to teams playing like that against us.  Forest played like they were playing a Sky6 team initially, so it was something new for us.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Confident eh Nick?

Nah, just enjoying the evening but know the run in is difficult.  I’m just delighted we are getting top 10 almost definitely now, that’s all I wanted when Emery arrived.  This is just icing on the cake whatever happens from now on.

• Like 1

Brighton liverpool Fulham Wolves and Manure will go toe to toe with us. Spurs Brentford and Newcastle a bit more pragmatic. 

But none will sit like Forest. 

I dont know whether that is good or bad for us. 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nah, just enjoying the evening but know the run in is difficult.  I’m just delighted we are getting top 10 almost definitely now, that’s all I wanted when Emery arrived.  This is just icing on the cake whatever happens from now on.

I'm in the same place. It's a joy going down the ground these days compared to the start of the season. I think Emery has already done us proud, the players have ultimately proved their all capable and we see where it goes in a relatively relaxed place. It's a good feeling. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Brighton liverpool Fulham Wolves and Manure will go toe to toe with us. Spurs Brentford and Newcastle a bit more pragmatic. 

But none will sit like Forest. 

I dont know whether that is good or bad for us. 

It's good. Our best football at the moment is playing on the counter. It's when we open teams up. 

• Like 1