Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

On 16/03/2023 at 01:43, Marka Ragnos said:

🫤🫤🫤 The word “could” didn’t. Once again, we seem to be stuck to the bottom of the top, like a mosquito on the league’s arse. 

I prefer “Teletext Page 2 Champions!” myself. 

• Haha 1

In my eyes Europe isn't happening & I'm glad. we're nowhere near ready for Europe, happy for next season to have a crack at the top 6 & both cups, to throw European games in the mix also, just think be to much & would effect us in the league, look at West Ham. 

Baby steps people, we will get there 💪 

13 minutes ago, Frodo said:

In my eyes Europe isn't happening & I'm glad. we're nowhere near ready for Europe, happy for next season to have a crack at the top 6 & both cups, to throw European games in the mix also, just think be to much & would effect us in the league, look at West Ham. 

Baby steps people, we will get there 💪 

It's very unlikely at this stage, but if we were to somehow make it there's no way IMO that we could say we're nowhere near ready. The form required under Emery to get there would be top 4 level, so if we did it, hard to say the team isn't competative enough. It would also likely help our summer business in terms of increased revenue and potentially increasing the level of players we could attract. More games probably just means more opportunities for academy prospects that are knocking at the first team and/or performing well on loan. And West Ham had European football last season (12 games, plus 6 in domestic cups) and still qualified for this season, so I'm not sure it excuses their poor form this season (they'd have to make the final to have played more games this season)

I’ll expand on the above and why I think just top 10 will be good. Whilst our form is great under Emery I feel like we have edged a lot of the wins. Many of them could have gone either way. So at some point we’re going to start dropping points where we probably expected to win.  I just hope it isn’t tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ll expand on the above and why I think just top 10 will be good. Whilst our form is great under Emery I feel like we have edged a lot of the wins. Many of them could have gone either way. So at some point we’re going to start dropping points where we probably expected to win.  I just hope it isn’t tomorrow. 

It could be said that we dropped points in games we should have got more from - against Wolves (Bailey last minute miss), Leicester (gifting them goals), Arsenal (last minute decisive third goal under both unfortunate and questionable circumstances).

You could arguably add the Liverpool game to the list of games which we could have/should have taken something.

I don’t disagree that some of the wins have been close and fallen our way. But most of the defeats/draws have not fallen for us when they could easily have done so.

• Like 1

Wolves game we were abysmal for first 70 minutes, that was certainly a pointed gained regardless of late miss.

Aside from Leicester at home one way of looking at things is we're getting better at managing games we're leading with half an hour left so you need that mentality if you're to be a serious contender for top 6 in near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It could be said that we dropped points in games we should have got more from - against Wolves (Bailey last minute miss), Leicester (gifting them goals), Arsenal (last minute decisive third goal under both unfortunate and questionable circumstances).

You could arguably add the Liverpool game to the list of games which we could have/should have taken something.

I don’t disagree that some of the wins have been close and fallen our way. But most of the defeats/draws have not fallen for us when they could easily have done so.

Fair point and maybe I’m being a bit too critical but it still feels like we’re conceding too many big chances in most of the games.  I think this is an area that will be addressed in the summer when Emery is able to get a few of his own players in. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

We’re coming 

Careful some will call you a "happy-clapper" or tell you your head is in the clouds!

For what it is worth I agree, we have some favourable fixtures with teams around us. Could go all the way to the wire!

• Like 1

1 point ahead of Chelsea, but they have a game in hand against Everton. 

1 point behind Fulham in 9th. Catchable.

4 points behind Brentford in 8th. Catchable.

4 points behind Brighton in 7th, but they have 2 games in hand.  Unlikely to overtake unless we beat them on last day of season. 

4 points behind Liverpool in 6th, but they have a game in hand. Very small chance to catch them. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

1 point ahead of Chelsea, but they have a game in hand against Everton. 

1 point behind Fulham in 9th. Catchable.

4 points behind Brentford in 8th. Catchable.

4 points behind Brighton in 7th, but they have 2 games in hand.  Unlikely to overtake unless we beat them on last day of season. 

4 points behind Liverpool in 6th, but they have a game in hand. Very small chance to catch them. 

I think this is key and said it a few pages ago, the table is so tight it could indeed go all the way to the final game.

Imagine it, final day of the season Villa Park full and we need a win over Brighton to qualify for Europe in seventh.

Believe folks!

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Careful some will call you a "happy-clapper" or tell you your head is in the clouds!

For what it is worth I agree, we have some favourable fixtures with teams around us. Could go all the way to the wire!

I’m an optimistic realist so I’m always going to say we have a chance regardless. We have a slightly favourable run till the end of the season and our players look better as the games go by. Until it’s mathematically impossible I’ll bank on us finishing 7th 😎

• Like 1

Just now, Rustibrooks said:

I’m an optimistic realist so I’m always going to say we have a chance regardless. We have a slightly favourable run till the end of the season and our players look better as the games go by. Until it’s mathematically impossible I’ll bank on us finishing 7th 😎

Absolutely, we have to have faith.

Internally (not publicly) you can bet this is the mantra from Mr. Emery.

• Like 1