Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Doesn't paint the full picture though, does it?  Brighton are 8th, 1 point behind Fulham in 7th but with 3 games in hand.  Brentford are 9th, 1 point behind Fulham but with a game in hand.

Newcastle's points total as the 7th place amount currently is a better marker - and we're 7 points behind, having played a game more.

Thats fair enough. Crucial part for me is we have to still play all 5 teams directly above us 

34 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Doesn't paint the full picture though, does it?  Brighton are 8th, 1 point behind Fulham in 7th but with 3 games in hand.  Brentford are 9th, 1 point behind Fulham but with a game in hand.

Newcastle's points total as the 7th place amount currently is a better marker - and we're 7 points behind, having played a game more.

image.png.b12531107b4fa66a61d8ed576b1f8dd0.png

53 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Need to get 9th, that's the aim. Brentford and Fulham can be overhauled. Other teams are better than us

Very annoying Chelsea are suddenly stringing wins together. We just need to stay close as they still have aways to both Manchester clubs and Arsenal so we should have chances to go above them in the run in. Not losing at Stamford Bridge in a few weeks would help aswell. We need to play that match in exactly the same manner as we did Spurs away which was an Emery masterclass.

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Very annoying Chelsea are suddenly stringing wins together. We just need to stay close as they still have aways to both Manchester clubs and Arsenal so we should have chances to go above them in the run in. Not losing at Stamford Bridge in a few weeks would help aswell. We need to play that match in exactly the same manner as we did Spurs away which was an Emery masterclass.

To be honest that was always going to happen, given all the money they spend on players and the number of them that they have. It was a question of time and I'm surprised that it has taken this long really. We need to make up 4 points on them, between today and the end of the season. That will be a tough ask, but there is a chance and winning at Stamford Bridge would really help.

Our more realistic targets are Brentford, Fulham and Brighton, perhaps even Newcastle or Liverpool (as longer shots), if they really start to implode when their hopes of the Champions League increasingly fade. We play all of these clubs before the end of the season, in what could be described as 6-pointers and each of these games we win, will bring those clubs nearer to our reach. At the moment, I would be more than happy if we finished above Brentford and Fulham. It would take something near to Champions League qualification form to get above another two of these teams and get into 7th. On the bright side, 7th for us does probably seem more likely than finishing 11th, for those teams that are below us. European qualification looks like a very long shot, but still....

Yes, there's a chance - Dr Evil Austin Powers | Make a Meme     

Think we have to be pretty much perfect with all our remaining game to nick a European spot & that's with all the teams above having a wobble, don't see it happening. Which is fine it's all about the summer window & next season for me. Just imagine if we'd of started the season with Unai Emery, most definitely be bang in that European race maybe be even knocking on the door of champions league, that's based on his record so far since joining & only added 1 signing in January, the mouth waters if he can bring 3 or 4 more top quality signings in the summer 👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Think we have to be pretty much perfect with all our remaining game to nick a European spot & that's with all the teams above having a wobble, don't see it happening. Which is fine it's all about the summer window & next season for me. Just imagine if we'd of started the season with Unai Emery, most definitely be bang in that European race maybe be even knocking on the door of champions league, that's based on his record so far since joining & only added 1 signing in January, the mouth waters if he can bring 3 or 4 more top quality signings in the summer 👌

It’s hard to know because you have to factor in new manager bounce which was worth a few points too. But things are certainly looking promising. 

2 hours ago, John said:

To be honest that was always going to happen, given all the money they spend on players and the number of them that they have. It was a question of time and I'm surprised that it has taken this long really.     

Not sure they’ve done anything to suggest they are going to pull away yet. Looks like two unconvincing wins against bottom half teams in meh form.

In their 12 remaining games they play the rest of the top half bar Fulham and Spurs, plus us (we could be top half too by that point), and Everton and Wolves, two teams in improved form under new management.

• Like 2

On 08/03/2023 at 16:29, tomsky_11 said:

image.png.b12531107b4fa66a61d8ed576b1f8dd0.png

Thing is, I reckon if you put in Emery's ppg of 1.83 in the PL with us it might paint a more positive picture.

I assume this is the seasons ppg which includes our horrendous start under SG?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Thing is, I reckon if you put in Emery's ppg of 1.83 in the PL with us it might paint a more positive picture.

I assume this is the seasons ppg which includes our horrendous start under SG?

Yeah was just ordering by ppg as maybe gives better idea of placings when different numbers of games played.