Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

2 hours ago, RichW said:

Surprised this thread is still open. Just don’t see Villa finishing above Brighton, Brentford and Fulham and even one of those teams is going to miss out on European football. 

There’s not really any easy games but it’s going to be really tough to get anything against Man City and Arsenal (can hope the 12.30 kick off can throw up a surprise) and then Everton away I feel is going to be a tough away visit for any team for the rest of the season. 

Agree we will be doing well to maintain our current position , move on next season . 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think this presumptuous thread may have jinxed us.

I'm guessing this is tongue in cheek as nobody in their right mind believes in that "jinx" claptrap. Do they?

I said all along that we will do well to get top half and was called "unambitious" amongst other things. (Like what I or any other fan predicts has any bearing on the outcome whatsoever)

I suggested that the danger of unrealistic expectations is that it will manifest itself in the kind of negativity seen from sections of our crowd yesterday, when we inevitably don't reach the heights expected.

Point being, we need to be patient. We aren't yet a top half side but we will get there. Talk of Europe was always ridiculously premature and, judging by yesterdays booing, some fans almost expected it. Some probably still do.

We are a work in progress and need to get behind the manager and be realistic. 10th would be amazing. Top 8 next season is doable, but there was never a cat in hells chance of such a high finish this season. 

We were full strength yesterday and lost 4-2 at home to a team in 14th. We will have games where we aren't full-strength and still only have one senior striker. I think 11th is where we will stay.

Huge summer ahead.

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think a better question is what do people expect a realistic points range to be now?

If our form drops off and we revert to our previous managers average PPG (Smith = 1.15, Gerrard = 1.16), then we are looking at a 47/48 point season.

Currently, Emery is averaging 2 PPG in the PL (even with the Leicester loss), but i think that's almost certainly unsustainable, if we set a higher end target of 1.5 PPG, that would give us a season total of 53/54 points.

So, depending on form, somewhere between 47 and 54 points is the most balanced view i think, anything above that would be exceptional, and beyond any reasonable expectation.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I'm guessing this is tongue in cheek as nobody in their right mind believes in that "jinx" claptrap. Do they?

I said all along that we will do well to get top half and was called "unambitious" amongst other things. (Like what I or any other fan predicts has any bearing on the outcome whatsoever)

I suggested that the danger of unrealistic expectations is that it will manifest itself in the kind of negativity seen from sections of our crowd yesterday, when we inevitably don't reach the heights expected.

Point being, we need to be patient. We aren't yet a top half side but we will get there. Talk of Europe was always ridiculously premature and, judging by yesterdays booing, some fans almost expected it. Some probably still do.

We are a work in progress and need to get behind the manager and be realistic. 10th would be amazing. Top 8 next season is doable, but there was never a cat in hells chance of such a high finish this season. 

We were full strength yesterday and lost 4-2 at home to a team in 14th. We will have games where we aren't full-strength and still only have one senior striker. I think 11th is where we will stay.

Huge summer ahead.

I was thinking Champions league, tbf. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

On course for 54 points then

If Man City get a points deduction they might be in the top 10 race with us.

The chance of Man City actually getting a points deduction is somewhere between 0.00% and 0.00%.  They will fight it for years and then everyone will forget about it around 2028.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Agree we will be doing well to maintain our current position , move on next season . 

We are 4 points ahead of the team below us and we gave them a 10 game head start

Disappointing to slip below 11th

where we are now, is fine by me.

I think we are still a bit up and down to challenge for Europe....we have lost too many games to be setting our sights high.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

So are we confident that Villa can hit the 40 points mark this season?

I don't know how we can predict anything.....such is the unpredictable manner of our play.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't know how we can predict anything.....such is the unpredictable manner of our play.

But overall it's unpredictably predictable. We know we'll win some we should lose and lose some we should win and probably average 1.4-1.6 PPG over the rest of the season.