Other clubs fans perception of villa

A38villan

How do you think other premier league clubs fans view villa? I saw a Twitter post just now calming down an arsenal fan because they only beat a "Steven Gerrards villa"

It made me think, it's the manager bit the club there disrespecting

Edited by A38villan
  • Like 1

I think we’re seen as a “big” club but not as big as we think we are. And difficult fans to keep happy.

Villa fans are more respected than plastic Utd / City / Liverpool / etc fans, and the stadium (esp Holte End) is famous.

We aren’t known for any particular style of football… probably just Grealish tbh.

Unlike Everton or Spurs we don’t really have a notorious rivalry to lift our profile, as Bluenoses are seen as local down and outs that you only encounter in certain side streets on a dark cold night.

We’re kind of seen as being in that same tier as Leicester, Newcastle and Leeds. Clubs with big fanbases, dominant in their city, belong in the Premier League, some good silverware but not really up there with the elite. Not my opinion, but I think that’s the perception.

I don’t think a lot of younger fans realise just how much more successful Villa have been than everyone bar Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Besides that I don’t think people give much of a ****

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think we’re seen as a “big” club but not as big as we think we are. And difficult fans to keep happy.

Villa fans are more respected than plastic Utd / City / Liverpool / etc fans, and the stadium (esp Holte End) is famous.

We aren’t known for any particular style of football… probably just Grealish tbh.

Unlike Everton or Spurs we don’t really have a notorious rivalry to lift our profile, as Bluenoses are seen as local down and outs that you only encounter in certain side streets on a dark cold night.

We’re kind of seen as being in that same tier as Leicester, Newcastle and Leeds. Clubs with big fanbases, dominant in their city, belong in the Premier League, some good silverware but not really up there with the elite. Not my opinion, but I think that’s the perception.

I don’t think a lot of younger fans realise just how much more successful Villa have been than everyone bar Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Besides that I don’t think people give much of a ****

agree, I'd say with millennials we are seen as Leeds/Leicester/Everton/toon/west ham

Bigger than wolves/soton/Brighton/

With the boomer gen I feel they see us as a big club up there with spurs but underachievers

• Like 1

Older fans who don't support our rivals will respect us for what we did in 80s and 90s and know we're a big club but we just don't make the right decision to take the next step. Any away fan who's actually been to VP will also be impressed with the surroundings inside and out.

Sadly from my experience most fans in 20-25 age bracket just see us as a nothing club making up the numbers most seasons in the league. In fairness we did stink the league out in Lambert era but now it feels a case we've just gone back to establishing ourselves as team that will bobble around bottom part doing just enough to stay up but won't threaten europe, the cups or even play interesting football or create some interesting side stories as likes of Leeds do.

For my work I regularly have to go down to London to do presentations to try to increase Neurodiversity in workplaces so it always raises a chuckle when I mention I'm a Villa fan and I have to play the old "I know we're rubbish" line. And then they're amazed when I say we've won the european cup, one a few weeks back actually asked me if that was the same trophy Chelsea won last season so that's how millennial football fans view us from my experience.

When I was at Uni aswell a mate who was a Portsmouth fan always used to moan about how boring we were to watch compared to the likes of Spurs. That was when we were finishing top 6 under O'Neill aswell.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Older fans who don't support our rivals will respect us for what we did in 80s and 90s and know we're a big club but we just don't make the right decision to take the next step. Any away fan who's actually been to VP will also be impressed with the surroundings inside and out.

Sadly from my experience most fans in 20-25 age bracket just see us as a nothing club making up the numbers most seasons in the league. In fairness we did stink the league out in Lambert era but now it feels a case we've just gone back to establishing ourselves as team that will bobble around bottom part doing just enough to stay up but won't threaten europe, the cups or even play interesting football or create some interesting side stories as likes of Leeds do.

For my work I regularly have to go down to London to do presentations to try to increase Neurodiversity in workplaces so it always raises a chuckle when I mention I'm a Villa fan and I have to play the old "I know we're rubbish" line. And then they're amazed when I say we've won the european cup, one a few weeks back actually asked me if that was the same trophy Chelsea won last season so that's how millennial football fans view us from my experience.

When I was at Uni aswell a mate who was a Portsmouth fan always used to moan about how boring we were to watch compared to the likes of Spurs. That was when we were finishing top 6 under O'Neill aswell.

That's a shame man because under MON we played disturbingly direct football and where mainly made up of a British contingent. We where many peoples second team

First, big context: I can answer your question in a lot of different ways.

In the USA, we're still mostly unknown to the general population. More Mexicans and Central Americans have more Villa respect than the gen pop in the US , who are still fairly clueless about about the Premier League. 95% of the 20% of American sport fans into Premier League are fans of Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea. Sure, you see the very rare Arsenal or Leicester City jersey once in a blue moon,  but I've never even once seen ANYONE in the USA except for me and my brother with any Villa kit, scarfs, anything. Latin Americans in the USA are different. They may not speak English, but they speak English football. Africans here, too. They know Villa,  but I've never met a supporter even once. 

When I lived in Britain, I saw a clear anti-Midlands bias all across the UK, esp. in the media establishment. I actually witnessed this in operation, at newspaper editorial offices, and you can still see it culturally in dozens of ways, although it may be fading in some limited ways. London looks down its nose at the Second City. Why Manchester and Liverpool escape this seems unfair to me, but I think that's the reality. Northern clubs also get a pass from the contempt to a lesser degree, which is ridiculous, but it can't be a surprise to you.   

I don' t think it's something many people in the places like Manchester and London even think twice about. I say this because the West Midlands context colours others' views of Villa. It reminds me a bit of the way Pittsburgh or Detroit are seen in the USA. "Rust Belt." But, on the other hand, rugged and tough.

All that said, context is deceptive, too. In Britain, I think Villa are seen as a cut above the other old "big" West Midlands clubs. I don't think their supporters are seen as delusional as much as a bit old-fashioned in terms of club identity. But classic.      

• Like 4

All my mates enjoy going to Villa Park and not just cause their teams come away with 3 points … the view is it’s a proper stadium with some history 

hopefully the planned development doesn’t destroy this 

• Like 1

Apart from the Midlands teams and maybe Leeds, I don't think anyone cares anything about Villa. 

Completely inoffensive due to never upsetting the norm and winning anything. 

Nobody's second team as we are so bland in general. 

Â