Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

1 minute ago, WHY said:

Our best 2 home wins last season came with him starting, he’s not the best but he keeps things simple and puts himself about. He’s fine as a back up player. 

Three as he also started the Brentford 4-0 and that was the only game they lost in prem from that point up to March.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

wonder if he goes in for Kamara at some point this season. not sure why, but it feels like we play better with him partnering Luiz than Kamara... 

Played in the wins at home to Man Utd and Newcastle last season so makes sense.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I too would be looking at introducing him, to more minutes.

has the presence, to help us through a sticky patch.

He is not eye candy, but gives us a stronger platform to play from.

He is not as good as a footballer as Kamara, but has the ability to be more combative on the ball right now...and we need that with the absentees.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ll be very surprised if he starts on Saturday. Especially when many on VT think he should. 

I Don't think many he thinks he should but if Kamara is out of form/needs a break he is the only back up

Tielemans can't play that role

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

I too would be looking at introducing him, to more minutes.

has the presence, to help us through a sticky patch.

He is not eye candy, but gives us a stronger platform to play from.

He is not as good as a footballer as Kamara, but has the ability to be more combative on the ball right now...and we need that with the absentees.

I couldn't help but read this in the cadence of Christopher Walken due to the commas XD

As for the contents, I agree.

• Haha 3

I feel confident that the decision on his  future and the playing squad in general under Unai is in safe hands as far as the club is concerned. If he leaves then the money and any available headroom regarding wages will be reinvested for benefit of the club. If he stays then he’ll play and be a valuable squad member. This is a new feeling and one I haven’t had for quite a long time. But it feels good. The money will not be flitted away on old pals of the manager or CEO. That’s for sure. We are no longer a retirement home for former Liverpool players that are no longer capable of playing at their best but would still like the money anyway. 

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ll be very surprised if he starts on Saturday. Especially when many on VT think he should. 

We haven't got too many options when it comes a gritty, high energy, performance. This team is not blessed right now ( with the injuries) to players whose first thought is stopping the opposition.....so when the opposition launch a raid, we are looking a tad vulnerable.

We can all permutate the players to our hearts content....but if we haven't got the players available, with the intrinsic nous to win the ball with any consistency, we could struggle in some of the games.

We need players, who go after opponents, not sit off them.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's if he's still here to get minutes.

Where's he going to go, with the window shut......I'm not saying he is the answer to our woes.....but we need some missing attributes from somewhere.

Edited by TRO

He's had a weird time of it at Villa. The signing in the first place was completely out of left-field and since then even aside from generally being a back-up anyway it feels like he's often been unavailable for periods of time despite the reasons or extent of them being not fully disclosed. Even this pre-season he went from missing the tour because his wife was having a child to immediately being injured and not being involved at all for the rest of it. Hasn't felt as though he's fully had the chance to settle and has been linked with moves away in the meantime.

I do like him though, for a team of Villa's level you're not doing bad to have a guy of his level being a bit-part player considering his Belgium caps and having been a regular for a Wolves team that at the time were better than Villa and finished as high as 7th in the league. As much as the Stevenage game was a low point he showed his worth when he got a chance against United and Newcastle. Think he'll be handy to have around for the season that's in it if he stays available.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

He's had a weird time of it at Villa. The signing in the first place was completely out of left-field and since then even aside from generally being a back-up anyway it feels like he's often been unavailable for periods of time despite the reasons or extent of them being not fully disclosed. Even this pre-season he went from missing the tour because his wife was having a child to immediately being injured and not being involved at all for the rest of it. Hasn't felt as though he's fully had the chance to settle and has been linked with moves away in the meantime.

I do like him though, for a team of Villa's level you're not doing bad to have a guy of his level being a bit-part player considering his Belgium caps and having been a regular for a Wolves team that at the time were better than Villa and finished as high as 7th in the league. As much as the Stevenage game was a low point he showed his worth when he got a chance against United and Newcastle. Think he'll be handy to have around for the season that's in it if he stays available.

I like him for what he is, not what he isn't.

We have many " tidy" players in the side, but we need a bit of balance, otherwise we become passive, when defending....and with key players players out to help with that, we haven't got many options, right now.

On 03/09/2023 at 16:26, Villaphan04 said:

wonder if he goes in for Kamara at some point this season. not sure why, but it feels like we play better with him partnering Luiz than Kamara... 

I think its says it all itself....Kamara needs to up his defensive contribution..too passive and weak on the ball....He supposed to be the ball winner.

Dendoncker, can't be any worse, in that sense.....and we have some decent results, against tough opposition with him in the side....sure stevenage was a a stark contrast, but makes you think.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Where's he going to go, with the window shut......I'm not saying he is the answer to our woes.....but we need some missing attributes from somewhere.

Fenerbache are sniffing around him.

Transfer Window in Turkey still open for a couple of days.

• Like 1

Â