Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

I wouldn’t be trying to force him out, but if offers were there we’d have to consider it. He’s a decent player but the central midfielders under Emery are crucial in our build up phase, and I don’t think Dendoncker is naturally comfortable enough on the ball to do the job to the same effect as Kamara, Luiz or McGinn or presumably now Tielemans 

On 12/06/2023 at 02:07, Delphinho123 said:

Me too. I’m all for building a squad but we also have to balance the books somewhat. We have Tielemans, Kamara and Luiz who can play in the middle and also McGinn if he needs to. McGinn was brilliant in there whenever he played there this season. 

If McGinn moves centrally, one of our new wide attacking players will play, if not start. Lots of options.

Not convinced Dendoncker is needed at all to be honest. Same goes for Chambers. Both are surplus to requirements for me. 

If both of them go, then we are left with only 3 senior cbs in the squad, and Diego Carlos is still coming off a major injury. If we sign another one, like Pau Torres, then cool. But I think having Dendoncker in the squad when he can cover midfield and cb is extremely valuable. 

On 18/06/2023 at 01:43, alreadyexists said:

Yes Donks! (Tielemans in there too)

Not good enough even as squad player for us though according to quite a few on here.

Edited by zab6359

23 minutes ago, Wes said:

In the Athletic article linking us to Tyler Adams it states that the club are willing to listen to offers for Dendoncker.

Not surprised really, whilst he hasn’t let us down (Stevenage aside) when playing, but I don’t think he’s as mobile as Emery wants for that role.

He's a useful utility player to have but listening to offers is a good place to be at with him I think. If any halfway decent offer comes in, should be off quick.

On 17/06/2023 at 18:43, alreadyexists said:

Yes Donks! (Tielemans in there too)

The Belgian midfield will be warming our bench next season! 

How times change :D

Donk gets stick but he started pretty much all our best footballing performances last season, Brentford, Newcastle and Man. United at home. Could've scored about 20 goals over those three games so not like his presence reduces our technical quality.

I'm probably in camp as most others, happy for him to stay and play europa and prem games here and there but will go if we get in another good CM.

You certainly don't sell him and replace him with Tim that's for sure.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Club did a post dedicated to him on insta today, hopefully going nowhere.

They've been doing posts on a number of players over the break. Don't think it means anything specific.

4 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Interesting. If we do sell, hopefully it’s for a profit. 

I think we got him for a bargain as he had 1 year left on his contract and had a one year option to extend. 

Transfermarkt had him valued at €28m and we paid €15m. My guess is he's got 3 years left on his deal so any sale over £9.5m is profit. I think he'd get 14-16m in current market.

Â