Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

It almost seems you are triumphant that we lost. Is that true ? I think most Villa fans will be unhappy we lost. 

I'm sad until I see your posts.

They always cheer me up.

All the criticisms aimed at Gerrard were on display today, front and centre.   To be that bad with the players at his disposal is quite something, A great player but a novice coach completely out of his depth. The sooner Purslow realises this the better.

As the game wore on the Palace fans were openly mocking Villa with derisory sarcastic cheers when we got near the goal or missed an opportunity.

Now that is bad when the opposition fans are openly mocking you. Worrying.

Martinez was very guilty of losing possession repeatedly today, after the third time of hoofing high wide and handsome of Cash the defender gave him both barrels. Lots of arguing, finger-pointing and general lack of a clue is again worrying.

Must say again we aren't playing our best midfield. Luiz has rarely been given that chance yet the answer is staring us in the face.

Can see us bottom three in the next few games, will they pull the trigger then?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Dean Smith given the short shrift was never the problem. Appointing a worse manager was.

Get this moron out.

If you go back to the Smith thread from that time, certain people were incensed at that result. Can't even beat lowly Brentford at home etc. Their starting lineup was probably better than that. And we weren't even that bad in the game. A draw was a fair result, but either team could have won it.

Today's lineup had Kamara, Bailey, Buendia all starting with Coutinho, Luiz and Ings on the bench. It's amazing how easy it is to completely ignore reality when your position was already solidified months ago. Nothing can shake it, either way.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If you go back to the Smith thread from that time, certain people were incensed at that result. Can't even beat lowly Brentford at home etc. Their starting lineup was probably better than that. And we weren't even that bad in the game. A draw was a fair result, but either team could have won it.

Today's lineup had Kamara, Bailey, Buendia all starting with Coutinho, Luiz and Ings on the bench. It's amazing how easy it is to completely ignore reality when your position was already solidified months ago. Nothing can shake it, either way.

I remember it vividly. Some were still annoyed we hadn't achieved top half or European football the year before. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I remember it vividly. Some were still annoyed we hadn't achieved top half or European football the year before. 

I think the clown Purslow was also a bit angry about that too

Edited by Zatman

Just read SGs post match.

The man's deluded!  We were well in it until the penalty?  Not sure what game he was watching but palace had us under the thumb for most of that time for me.  

They were the better side throughout and for SG to say that key moments went against us and lost us the game simply isn't the reality.

We were soundly and comprehensively beaten by the better team on the day, no ifs ands or buts about it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm sad until I see your posts.

They always cheer me up.

What I really don ‘t need to read after such a poor performance is some warrior gloating about the fact that we lost, saying I told you so, and using stupid phrases like “the happy crowd”, or whatever he said (can’t be arsed to go back and check).

If it makes you happy that I don’t need to read that sort of post, fine. But since this post immediately follows on from another warrior saying he would have liked to see Martinez smash Gerrard in the face, you may perhaps understand why some fans are not entirely comfortable with the tone of some of this shit?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

What I really don ‘t need to read after such a poor performance is some warrior gloating about the fact that we lost, saying I told you so, and using stupid phrases like “the happy crowd”, or whatever he said (can’t be arsed to go back and check).

If it makes you happy that I don’t need to read that sort of post, fine. But since this post immediately follows on from another warrior saying he would have liked to see Martinez smash Gerrard in the face, you may perhaps understand why some fans are not entirely comfortable with the tone of some of this shit?

I would love to see Martinez smash Gerrard in the face. Not sure how the conversation happened but if Gerrard stays the entire season it could be one of the only highlights

8 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’d start Digne without a doubt. Wasn’t good today but not worse than many others. That pen was a joke.

And our current back-up is so much worse.

Have you seen Agustinsson play, or were you thinking of Ashley Young?

Midfield remains the biggest problem. It doesn't matter if you have Kamara or Dougie as the 6, Ramsey and McGinn just don't offer enough going forward.

What did McGinn do today? One good pass, no good defensive plays, probably should have been sent off for a second bad tackle, and would have been totally at fault if the goal at about 27' hadn't been called off for a narrow offside. He's not talentless, but his talents are a better fit for a 4-man midfield, and certainly don't fit SG's system.

As others have said, we looked better with Dougie out there today. He was happy to get the ball in the centre of the park and did things with it. Plus, after a few years mostly as a 6, he can certainly help Kamara with defensive duties. He's been waiting for his chance to play as an 8. Give him the chance. It's not going to solve all our problems, but it would be an improvement.

I said before the season started that I wasn't worried about defence because chances were good that at least 2 of Konsa, Mings, Diego, and Chambers would be playing well. Diego is gone for the season, and SG doesn't seem to want to play Chambers (even though he signed him and even though most of us rate him). Mings and Konsa are mediocre right now. On top of that, Cash and Digne haven't been at their best either. So the backline is almost as bad as midfield, and I was dead wrong. Time to give Chambers and Agustinsson a chance.

Bailey and Bueni did some good things when they actually had some service. Bailey gets MOTM because he set up the goal and almost had a second.

Not that he had much service, but after the goal, Watkins' first touch was atrocious today.

6 hours ago, parisvilla said:

Make Konsa in the starting XI make sense?

Balance from starting midfield three is miles off it.  Start Luiz and bench one of Ramsey or McGinn until we show some solidity off the ball and retain the thing when we have it. 

Hard to see the manager improving things.

Might take a cabbage to Bolton.

I go with nakamba and kamara in a 4231 need to be a lot more solid we are so open when we lose the ball high up the pitch 

"Are you Steve Bruce in disguise?" the imaginary crowd in my head roared.  An absolute mess.  Desperate.  As heavy a 3-1 defeat as you'll see.  The game precisely resembled a cannily coached team against one who's training crowd seems to have been mysteriously eaten by a sinkhole.  Not only are we absolutely a long ball side, we have a long ball mentality, wanting to get rid, never showing for the ball, having no confidence in our patterns of play.  I feel sorry for the players.  To paraphrase the Good Book, Father forgive them because they are being asked to do very stupid things.

Today's ratings first (season average in here)

MARTINEZ 8 (7.33)

MINGS 6 (6.5)

KONSA 4 (4)

DIGNE 3 (4.33)

CASH 6 (7)

KAMARA 5 (6)

RAMSAY 5 (5.66)

MCGINN 4 (4.33)

BUENDIA 6 (6)

BAILEY 5 (5.5)

WATKINS 5 (4.5)

COUTINHO 5 (4.33)