Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

39 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

What I really don ‘t need to read after such a poor performance is some warrior gloating about the fact that we lost, saying I told you so, and using stupid phrases like “the happy crowd”, or whatever he said (can’t be arsed to go back and check).

If it makes you happy that I don’t need to read that sort of post, fine. But since this post immediately follows on from another warrior saying he would have liked to see Martinez smash Gerrard in the face, you may perhaps understand why some fans are not entirely comfortable with the tone of some of this shit?

Warriors? Interesting.

What really would have made me happy today was a thumping great win and looking like a team that has had £160m put into it in under a year.

Alas. I'll just have to enjoy the angry posts of the Gerrard enthusiasts who declared him the Messiah because he wasn't Dean Smith.

Hopefully the club looks at more evidence based methods appointing the next manager and we can all enjoy Villa looking like a coached side again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shomin Geki said:

MARTINEZ 8 (7.33)

Seriously?  an 8?  He made a good save against Ayew and the penalty save was great but basically didn't matter since Zaha scored off the rebound.  His positioning for Zaha's opener was awful.   You simply should not get beaten from that angle at that distance unless it's a rocket.  His kicking was atrocious.  Three consecutive turnovers on hoofs (supposedly) to Cash.  A rating of 7 would be generous, 

9 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Just came on here to say the same thing. GERRARD OUT. 

We still got Arsenal and Man City to play in Sept. We’ll get nothing from them two.

• Sad 1

Said earlier in the thread that wasn’t confident of a win and was expecting a narrow loss to these but yesterdays performance was so poor. We can’t keep rocking up away from home and playing like this. 

I am not judging this based off this season but I’m judging this based off the last 10 months. Each week Gerrard is looking more out of his depth. The squad we have got, it’s a good squad and we should be excited watching this team play week in week out so Gerrard has no excuses. 

I seen Palace as a 50/50 beforehand but they looked streets ahead of us yesterday. We’ve now got some tough fixtures coming up and I just feel like this season is going to unravel quickly like it did with Smith. 

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Warriors? Interesting.

What really would have made me happy today was a thumping great win and looking like a team that has had £160m put into it in under a year.

Alas. I'll just have to enjoy the angry posts of the Gerrard enthusiasts who declared him the Messiah because he wasn't Dean Smith.

Hopefully the club looks at more evidence based methods appointing the next manager and we can all enjoy Villa looking like a coached side again.

I can't see much difference from watching a Dean Smith team.....The flaws are still there....The puny way we defend, and remain wide open, is still evident.

• Like 1

Just thinking about when we went to Palace last season and won. Controlled the game and played some inventive stuff. Scored a beautiful goal. 

Had zero expectation any of the above would be repeated yesterday and so it proved. 

The irony is....None of us thought that was a penalty, and the incident in the leicester v Southampton game was far worse and was dismissed out of hand.

Emi B then got stamped on in the box and that was waved on with impunity.....never even went to VAR.

its a joke, If it wasn't so serious.

Men V boys, we are way to open, easy to attack and a total lack of spirit who look like a championship side out of their depth. The players are no match for todays athletic tall strong powerful opposition that just ease them of the ball. Gerrard needs to stop the system he is trying to play and get people in to shore up our lack of aggression and character.

10 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Just read SGs post match.

The man's deluded!  We were well in it until the penalty?  Not sure what game he was watching but palace had us under the thumb for most of that time for me.  

They were the better side throughout and for SG to say that key moments went against us and lost us the game simply isn't the reality.

We were soundly and comprehensively beaten by the better team on the day, no ifs ands or buts about it.

When consistently woeful performances are presided over,  denial creeps in, followed by embarrassment....and now we are embarrassing.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Louis said:

Just watched MOTD. Honestly, we are just a crap side.

I think that's the very first time I've watched us lose on MOTD knowing the result. Following Villa has simply become a boring nuisance that gets in the way of my general interest in football.

15 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I think that's the very first time I've watched us lose on MOTD knowing the result. Following Villa has simply become a boring nuisance that gets in the way of my general interest in football.

Think the second point here is significant. 

We're 3 weeks into a new season and any excitement for the vast majority of us has evaporated. We play such slow and predictable football. The manager is sarcy and snappy. What is there to be excited about??

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I can't see much difference from watching a Dean Smith team.....The flaws are still there....The puny way we defend, and remain wide open, is still evident.

Some have been saying this for quite some time. Gerrard was the wrong appointment and nearly all the performances have shown that.

It's you who decided to anoint him with no evidence. Quite why, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Some have been saying this for quite some time. Gerrard was the wrong appointment and nearly all the performances have shown that.

It's you who decided to anoint him with no evidence. Quite why, I don't know.

To be fair, I don't really remember much "anointing" going on. Maybe there were a minority of Villa Talkers doing that, but I recall a lot of ambivalence, too, up and down the fan base, from Day One.

Many of us ordinary supporters have been in the "lots-of-reservations-but-I'll-back-him" school of fandom. We're not necessarily expert keyboard-based footballologists, but we're hoping for the best, bracing for the worst.

You certainly won't see that in any "anointing" in a thing I ever posted even once, and I challenge you to show us my old awe-struck posts if you do (which you won't).

I remember a lot of supporters having very mixed feelings from the very beginning, me among them, along with a small group of boosters and many Gerrard detractors. 

Much of this Gerrard consternation seems very legit to me and timely, but an acrimonious portion of it also seems based on old grievances from past Villa Talk disputes remembered principally by the posters involved, and I marvel at the enduring quality of these grievances. I'm mostly, who gives a **** who wanted Bruce or Deano in or out? We're in 2022, and we're currently ****. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Â