The Women’s European Championships 2022

Genie

49 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Just seems a lot more honest than mens football. No diving, no cheating, no faking injuries and no moaning at the referee. Its really refreshing to see. 

As much as I enjoyed the match, and love to see us doing well,  there was a bit of diving. We are a wee bit of a shithouse side at times. 

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think we'll get to mid table eventually as we've put in decent money. Had that Japanese player who Arsenal signed last summer and Alisha has good rep with West Ham.

It's more when Yeovil were in it and getting hammered every week (Leicester losing 8-0 to likes of Chelsea). Surprising Liverpool don't care much as their team were really poor a few years back and got relegated with money issues.

I'm more pessimistic about our prospects specifically. Liverpool got promoted this season, and like Man Utd before them I'm sure they'll be fine as their club reputation should serve to attract top players, but we are part of a strata of teams who struggle to improve. The calibre of player we've been able to bring in has been frankly pretty average for the most part. Iwabuchi and Scott were short term deals where the player has no intention of staying, Asante was at the end of her career, and with Lehmann it seems at least possible that the main reason she's sticking around is that she's dating a male player. We may be able to settle in the middle of the pack but even that looks challenging, I think we're probably 2nd favourites for relegation after Leicester.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm more pessimistic about our prospects specifically. Liverpool got promoted this season, and like Man Utd before them I'm sure they'll be fine as their club reputation should serve to attract top players, but we are part of a strata of teams who struggle to improve. The calibre of player we've been able to bring in has been frankly pretty average for the most part. Iwabuchi and Scott were short term deals where the player has no intention of staying, Asante was at the end of her career, and with Lehmann it seems at least possible that the main reason she's sticking around is that she's dating a male player. We may be able to settle in the middle of the pack but even that looks challenging, I think we're probably 2nd favourites for relegation after Leicester.

I haven't followed Villa Women much, unfortunately. How is the youth side of things? Usually when you find yourselves as a team in the position we are in (based on comments in this thread), you might look to developing youth as a way to move forward.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Think the problem for WSL is extreme gulf between top and bottom teams. People talk about closed shop of top 6 in prem but it's even wider in women's football so think that's going to be the problem going forward to extend the domestic game unless there's more significant money given to lower teams or even draft system.

Would imagine they'll be decent increase in attendances from start of next season so makes sense to play the early games at Villa Park and other top grounds again.

I agree there is a massive difference with quality across the league but if they got more paying customers they could sign some of the players we are seeing in The Euros.

Clubs like us should be able to get a few thousand fans to turn up but it would be easier for myself for instance to take my niece in the summer months.  Competing with the men's season i am using my season ticket and watching games on TV the women's game is an afterthought.

If they keep the same calendar then not sure how possible it is but having 2 games in a day at Villa Park might be an option I would go early for that for instance or stay later.

It not self sufficient at the moment for our owners to invest in the top players they need to think outside the box to get us fans to invest time and money for the women's game to grow and get more competitive.

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We all know how all this is going to end on Sunday, don't we? 

Losing to Germany on penalties. 

France should beat Germany but surprised they havent imploded yet with the nutter coach they have

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I haven't followed Villa Women much, unfortunately. How is the youth side of things? Usually when you find yourselves as a team in the position we are in (based on comments in this thread), you might look to developing youth as a way to move forward.

To be fair, the academy seems to be producing quite a few good players and I think they won the league at a canter last season, but I may be wrong. As usual, @useless is the expert on all things youth team.

Our U21s missed out on winning the league to Man Utd on goal difference, they were unlucky in the sense of how close it was, but also because they only lost two games and I think for one of those games, a defeat to Leicester, were missing players to covid, if they were at full strength for that probably would have won, and therefore would have won the league.

Our U16s did win the FA Youth Shield though, which I think is the major trophy at that level.

Besides all that I think one of the biggest measures of how well an academy is doing is how many youth internationals they're producing, and we seem to have quite a few at the moment.

• Thanks 1

There's a big gap between Aston Villa women and the top four in the WSL and the England national team, but we do have a few players that are potentially top four / international class, Hannah Hampton the obvious one, but I think Sarah Mayling is unlucky that she hasn't had a call up yet and if she was to leave would probably be to one of the top four, and Mayumi Pacheco is a similar level, she's a current U23 international.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure why they keep calling iRusso's goal a nutmeg back heel. It was a great back heel, but she just didn't save it, not really nut megged?

Through the legs = nutmeg

19 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One thing that is worth noting for fans of our women's team is the enormous gap between the players you're seeing here, and our own players. Apart from reserve goalie Hannah Hampton (ours), I'm pretty sure every player in the squad either plays for a Champions League side or plays in Europe for a top side (to be fair, Jill Scott was with us on loan after January). But the difference in level between these ladies and ours is just a chasm, and I have no idea how that can be crossed to be honest.

Money

Depends what importance we place on our women's team to be honest. I'd imagine a few million invested into the women's team and we'd be up there. Its still chicken feed compared to the cost involved in mens football. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Money

Depends what importance we place on our women's team to be honest. I'd imagine a few million invested into the women's team and we'd be up there. Its still chicken feed compared to the cost involved in mens football. 

I don't think we're lacking willingness to pay, I think it's the lack of European football that's the key differential. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I honestly don't see anything in either Germany or France to concern me. They've looked decidedly average to me all tournament.

This is our cup to lose 

Look a bit rougher than we have faced so far though. Not sure our team can handle being roughed up, we will find out Sunday.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Look a bit rougher than we have faced so far though. Not sure our team can handle being roughed up, we will find out Sunday.

Maybe. I reckon we can handle it though.

• Like 1

Â