The Women’s European Championships 2022

Genie

Just now, PieFacE said:

There's a distinct lack of diving and falling over every time you're touched in the woman's game. Not as much tactical fouling either from what I've seen. Tis quite enjoyable to watch. 

Well White did her best Harry Kane impression in the first half trying to buy a penalty and Sweden absolutely should have had a yellow for that shirt pull tactical foul in the first half.

But yeah there is less of it.

Carolin Seger looking like she might retire after a pitiful 233 caps for Sweden. Quitter!

Seriously thou that's a fantastic number. 

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Wiegmann has played the same starting XI every game, regardless of form. 

Yep, and rightly so it turns out. I thought when I saw Daly starting at LB that we were in for another terrible first half display. But she was brilliant, constant nuisance down the left wing, turning her marker inside out and creating the initial move for the first goal with a beautiful pass.

If you listened to Wiegmann being interviewed before the game she just comes across as a natural manager, very smart but explains everything in a simple way.

• Like 2

Is it just me or has this tournament been a bit of a revelation?

Don't mean that to sound patronising, but it used to be that a lot of women's games were decided by goalkeeping errors and there was loads of kick and rush, pub league football. Now it seems like the best teams all have several very technical players, can ping the ball around properly, and read the game well. It's obviously miles behind the men's game in terms of pace and physicality, but the technical and tactical gap has closed a lot. It's really good to watch, and played in a much better spirit than men's football, with less diving, less cheating, less ego bullshit.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Is it just me or has this tournament been a bit of a revelation?

Don't mean that to sound patronising, but it used to be that a lot of women's games were decided by goalkeeping errors and there was loads of kick and rush, pub league football. Now it seems like the best teams all have several very technical players, can ping the ball around properly, and read the game well. It's obviously miles behind the men's game in terms of pace and physicality, but the technical and tactical gap has closed a lot. It's really good to watch, and played in a much better spirit than men's football, with less diving, less cheating, less ego bullshit.

From personal experience, I used to be a referee. As a spotty teenager I’d refereed the USA B team and also Chelsea in a league cup game. I was 15 or 16. I don’t think that would happen now. Not to have a teenage me involved with England international players is definitely progress! Give it another 10 years and I think there’ll be consistent league 1/2 attendances.

The change in attitude is a good thing as well. I’m starting a family and if I have a girl I’d love her to play football. I think in the past it was seen as “being lesbian” to play football. As ridiculous views like that reduce, more women will feel able to play without being bullied, and standards will increase. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

From personal experience, I used to be a referee. As a spotty teenager I’d refereed the USA B team and also Chelsea in a league cup game. I was 15 or 16. I don’t think that would happen now. Not to have a teenage me involved with England international players is definitely progress! Give it another 10 years and I think there’ll be consistent league 1/2 attendances.

The change in attitude is a good thing as well. I’m starting a family and if I have a girl I’d love her to play football. I think in the past it was seen as “being lesbian” to play football. As ridiculous views like that reduce, more women will feel able to play without being bullied, and standards will increase. 

Amazing experience for a teenager. Definitely something to be proud of!

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I thought when I saw Daly starting at LB that we were in for another terrible first half display. But she was brilliant, constant nuisance down the left wing, turning her marker inside out and creating the initial move for the first goal with a beautiful pass.

Same here. Totally repaid the manager for keeping faith in her. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sne said:

Well White did her best Harry Kane impression in the first half trying to buy a penalty and Sweden absolutely should have had a yellow for that shirt pull tactical foul in the first half. 

"Jenny Lind, Greta Thunberg, Agnetha Fältskog, Anni-Frid Lyngstad, Ingrid Bergman, Greta Garbo, Ann-Margret... your girls took a hell of a beating!" 

;)

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

"Jenny Lind, Greta Thunberg, Agnetha Fältskog, Anni-Frid Lyngstad, Ingrid Bergman, Greta Garbo, Ann-Margret... your girls took a hell of a beating!" 

;)

Anni-Frid Lyngstad is Norwegian ;)

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Just seems a lot more honest than mens football. No diving, no cheating, no faking injuries and no moaning at the referee. Its really refreshing to see. 

Yep if you watch it for what it is its great entertainment I have been really impressed.  Come on loads in the past few years. 

If they moved the women's league to a summer sport I think it would do even better for attendances.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Yep if you watch it for what it is its great entertainment I have been really impressed.  Come on loads in the past few years. 

If they moved the women's league to a summer sport I think it would do even better for attendances.

Think the problem for WSL is extreme gulf between top and bottom teams. People talk about closed shop of top 6 in prem but it's even wider in women's football so think that's going to be the problem going forward to extend the domestic game unless there's more significant money given to lower teams or even draft system.

Would imagine they'll be decent increase in attendances from start of next season so makes sense to play the early games at Villa Park and other top grounds again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think the problem for WSL is extreme gulf between top and bottom teams. People talk about closed shop of top 6 in prem but it's even wider in women's football so think that's going to be the problem going forward to extend the domestic game unless there's more significant money given to lower teams or even draft system.

Would imagine they'll be decent increase in attendances from start of next season so makes sense to play the early games at Villa Park and other top grounds again.

Yeah, I mentioned this yesterday. The gulf between the players you saw last night and our players is just a yawning chasm. They've got all the problems that come from the division between European-qualifying teams and non-European-qualifying teams, with none of the TV money to mitigate it.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I mentioned this yesterday. The gulf between the players you saw last night and our players is just a yawning chasm. They've got all the problems that come from the division between European-qualifying teams and non-European-qualifying teams, with none of the TV money to mitigate it.

I think we'll get to mid table eventually as we've put in decent money. Had that Japanese player who Arsenal signed last summer and Alisha has good rep with West Ham.

It's more when Yeovil were in it and getting hammered every week (Leicester losing 8-0 to likes of Chelsea). Surprising Liverpool don't care much as their team were really poor a few years back and got relegated with money issues.

Â