Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2022/23

Rds1983

I'm strangely glad about Haaland being captained by almost everyone. It's as close to them removing the captain chip and making the game like it should be as we're going to get. 

14 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm strangely glad about Haaland being captained by almost everyone. It's as close to them removing the captain chip and making the game like it should be as we're going to get. 

That’s interesting, you’re the first person I’ve heard say they don’t like the captain chip. I’m not too fussed about the capt thing personally most adds an extra layer of strategy (luck!)

28 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

That’s interesting, you’re the first person I’ve heard say they don’t like the captain chip. I’m not too fussed about the capt thing personally most adds an extra layer of strategy (luck!)

I don't like it either. 

I like it in theory, but I hate that with Effective Ownership you can end up not wanting a player you own to do well.

If you hadn't captained Haaland yesterday then him doing well is a negative for your team. Which feels fundamentally wrong

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't like it either. 

I like it in theory, but I hate that with Effective Ownership you can end up not wanting a player you own to do well.

If you hadn't captained Haaland yesterday then him doing well is a negative for your team. Which feels fundamentally wrong

I suppose… but you could’ve captained him you just chose not to, so if you accept there is a potential advantage to not captaining him (or anyone else) then you have to accept there is also a potential disadvantage too. It couldn’t work if there was no risk. 
I see what you mean though, it does seem perverse to wish a player you have to do worse than another you have.

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

I suppose… but you could’ve captained him you just chose not to, so if you accept there is a potential advantage to not captaining him (or anyone else) then you have to accept there is also a potential disadvantage too. It couldn’t work if there was no risk. 
I see what you mean though, it does seem perverse to wish a player you have to do worse than another you have.

It's been discussed in this thread several times and you see it pop up on twitter or reddit every now and again. 

As @Stevo985 says it leads to situations where you actively want one of your own players to not perform. To me that goes against the fundamental elements of the game. You should want all 11 of your players to do great as it's a team game, not a game of picking one player. 

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I know that, but most people will always have two premium players, and a lot of the time both of those premiums will be above 100% ownership.

So regardless of who you captained, you'll have someone else in your team you don't want to do well. Which I don't like. 

Obviously this season it'll end up being a bit different because Haaland is basically a permacaptain. But that was the original point

35 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Fair enough :) 

I don’t mind the captain though personally. I’ve always found the way the money gain/loss thing works more frustrating.

That is frustrating but it's there to stop people abusing it when they wildcard over international breaks. You could flip back and forth on loads of players just as they rise (tools now predict this) and considerably increase your team value. 

24 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

That is frustrating but it's there to stop people abusing it when they wildcard over international breaks. You could flip back and forth on loads of players just as they rise (tools now predict this) and considerably increase your team value. 

Ah right, so the rules are to prevent people playing the system and making tonnes of money. That is fair I suppose then.

i'm on the fence with the captaincy thing. i'd probably lean more towards removing it given the choice only because it adds to the weekly headache.

people say it means you wish your players to perform poorly. that's not the case really is it. you just want them to score less than your captain. if i was choosing between salah or haaland for captain this week, and salah had scored 2 vs haaland's 3, i'm still happy that salah got a good return for me as well as being happy that i chose the right captain

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm on the fence with the captaincy thing. i'd probably lean more towards removing it given the choice only because it adds to the weekly headache.

people say it means you wish your players to perform poorly. that's not the case really is it. you just want them to score less than your captain. if i was choosing between salah or haaland for captain this week, and salah had scored 2 vs haaland's 3, i'm still happy that salah got a good return for me as well as being happy that i chose the right captain

Nope, not if you care about your overall rank. If I own a player who has an EO of more than 100% and he isn't my captain, I want him to score as little as possible.

Even in your minileagues, if a competitor has that player as captain then anything he scores works against you

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope, not if you care about your overall rank. If I own a player who has an EO of more than 100% and he isn't my captain, I want him to score as little as possible.

Even in your minileagues, if a competitor has that player as captain then anything he scores works against you

but if the captain you choose consistently is the highest scorer of the potential captains your overall rank will continue to rise?

i get where you're coming from, i do. i guess from my perspective it's still a game and therefore should be about enjoyment so i'm just happy when a player returns. maybe as the season goes on if i'm looking at a half decent ranking i might start to think differently

GW11 will be interesting anyway...i've got kane, mitro, and haaland with the view to also bringing salah back around then so it's going to be right head scratcher who to captain that week

43 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

but if the captain you choose consistently is the highest scorer of the potential captains your overall rank will continue to rise?

Well yes of course. But your rank would have risen more if the player you didn't captain blanked (assuming their EO was over 100%)