U21 Development League 2022/2023

BOF

Enjoyed the game on Villa TV. A few observations:

I thought Raikhy showed some really nice touches playing cute passes and beating his man. He used to play more of a holding role in the FA Youth cup team but today was far more progressive. That may well be something he’s been doing for ages I haven’t seen him much. In my opinion he needs to impose himself on the game more to make it at the Elite level but it would be good to see him get another loan spell next season.

we looked shaky at first but then our midfield controlled the game for a spell before Leeds built up a head of steam and scored the opener before halftime. After halftime we looked more dynamic on the transition with Kellyman linking play well on the left. It was a well worked goal.

I thought Afoka carried very little goal threat and was often let down by a very poor first touch but occasionally held the ball up well and used his body to hold up the ball.

Some good defending at times. Leeds probably deserved it but I think we would have seen a different result if we had some different strikers.

Young showed glimpses of his talent but drifted out of the game too often and didn’t always have good end product.

A bit like the first team we kept giving the ball away trying to play it out from the back or trying a clearance which was also a pass.

Otherwise lots of good things from many of the team.

• Like 2

OK thanks to some server software wonk up, the previous 'front page' is now on page 26 and can't be fixed, so I've adjusted the 'new' front page post to be our stats.

And with that in mind, front page stats for last night's defeat have been updated. And rather amusingly, Derby County finally achieve their first league point of the season.

Monday 20/02
18:00 Stoke City(10)  1-2 Middlesbrough(7)
19:00 Leeds Utd(3->2) 2-1 Aston Villa(6)
19:00 Sunderland(9)   1-1 Derby County(11)
19:00 West Brom(5)    1-2 Southampton(2->1)

• Like 1

More fixtures this weekend, including a top of the table clash, and 3rd v 5th which we can also hopefully capitalise on.

Friday 24/02
12:00 Norwich City(4) v Middlesbrough(7)
18:00 Aston Villa(6)  v Sunderland(9)
19:00 Southampton(1)  v Leeds United(2)
19:00 Stoke City(10)  v Newcastle United(8)

Monday 27/02
19:00 Notts Forest(3) v West Brom (5)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Frith must have picked up an injury against Leeds and Brad Young still out injured.

Wilson on the bench, probably not starting having been on international duty.

Afoka wearing the No.9 shirt so looks like he's going to be playing upfront.

Would have thought it would make more sense to play Kellyman there, but maybe if we see it as his long-term position, which seems to the the case, want to give as much development time as an attacking midfielder / wide forward as possible.

Was going to say Raikhy looks scared to shoot whenever he gets in shooting distance, always trying to look for the pass I think, good free-kick from him though for the third, and having a good game overall.

We lost our way a little when Kadan Young and Feeney came off, a few of midfielders and attackers seemed to tire or fade from the game as well, so I don't think it helped that we had mostly defenders on the bench so were limited in what we could do to change things - a consequence of Brad Young, Frith, Tommi O'Reilly and others being out. Shame we couldn't hang on to a bigger lead to help with goal difference, but a win is a win and we move into the final play-off spot, albeit West Brom have two games in hand

That was mental. Absolutely no evidence of defending tonight on both sides.

Rory Wilson = Alan Shearer regen.

Came on after 30 mins and you can just tell he will score goals at any level. He doesnt have anything that is outstanding at first glance but he can sniff a chance out like the above. And he can also just turn and smash it like the above  . Once he fills out he will be a real threat . 2 goals , 1 a tap in and one a thundersmashstrike that beat the keeper at the near post . Looked saveable but also it was hit so hard that it took the keeper by suprise. 

Kellyman has a good chance as well. Lovely change of pace and technically gifted. Got the build of the new generation of NBA players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Was going to say Raikhy looks scared to shoot whenever he gets in shooting distance, always trying to look for the pass I think, good free-kick from him though for the third, and having a good game overall.

Yep. He doesnt stand out at attacking mid. He is tidy but not a gamechanger like Tommi can be at times.  But he played a couple of wonderful passes from deeper that were real quality . 

And that free kick was really clever.

Edited by MWARLEY2

Good to see the three first year scholars involved today make a big contribution, two goals for Wilson, goal and assist for Kellyman, and goal and assist for Kadan Young, plus he won the penalty and free-kick for our other goals. A good sign when seventeen year olds are already doing well at this level. Patterson still to return and Simpson who's still sixteen going to be a good player as well.

• Like 2

Both teams conceded at least one goal from the keeper playing it short to a defender, instead of kicking it down field. 

Absolutely detest it when the first team do it, now the kids are doing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Both teams conceded at least one goal from the keeper playing it short to a defender, instead of kicking it down field. 

Absolutely detest it when the first team do it, now the kids are doing it. 

I don't want to make this worse for you, but we also conceded from a short corner.

@OutByEaster? @useless

i appreciate your updates on the development teams, keep up the good work lads!

I’m interested in Josh Feeney’s progression. From the little I’ve seen of him I think he has the potential to go to the very top.

I personally think it’s a little harder for a defender to break into the first team at a young age, especially centre backs. I haven’t see anything of him this season though, so would be interested what are you lads thoughts on him this season, have you seen him mature, progress etc. 

Edited by WHY