U21 Development League 2022/2023

BOF

18 minutes ago, Noel said:

I have just got back from Tividale.  It was a very difficult night for a slightly under strength Villa Team.

Tividale are 16th in the MFL Premier so nowhere near as strong as the Nuneaton Team we beat in the last round.  The pitch was hard and not very flat and it was a windy night. Tividale were extremely physical and very direct.  They took a well deserved lead when Malcolm Melvin (ex Villa Man) scored from a Free Kick.

The Villa players played very little good football but competed physically with Tivi and clawed their way back when Afoka scored with 15 minutes left.  I was actually proud of the way the Villa youngsters ground out a win.  We won the penalty shoot out 4-2 with Frith, Afoka, Lutz and Munroe netting.

My mate played for Tividale back in the 90s  from memory it wasnt very flat back then either ! 

I think it's actually very rare that U21 sides record big wins in the Birmingham Senior Cup against lower league opposition, in fact I think it happens more often the other way around. U21 teams don't always play their strongest line-ups as often there will be other priorities, a number of the U21 players that do play will themselves go on to be non league players.

Last five seasons non league teams have won the the competition, Wolves the only league team to have reached the final in that time.

We will be doing well to beat Alvechurch in the next round, but will depend on what kind of team we put out.

• Like 1

I had a week off. FP stats updated, but for me that post has now jumped to page 26. We're looking at why ...

Results from last week

Friday 10/02
12:00 Southampton(1)   2-2 Sunderland(9)
19:00 Aston Villa(6)   1-0 Stoke City(10)
19:00 Middlesbrough(7) 2-4 West Brom(5)

Monday 13/02
19:00 Derby County(11) 0-3 Norwich City(4)
19:00 Newcastle(8)     2-2 Leeds Utd(2)

Friday 17/02
19:00 Norwich City(4)  0-3 Notts Forest(1)

Fixtures for today

Monday 20/02
18:00 Stoke City(10) v Middlesbrough(7)
19:00 Leeds Utd(3)   v Aston Villa(6)
19:00 Sunderland(9)  v Derby County(11)
19:00 West Brom(5)   v Southampton(2)

49 minutes ago, BOF said:

Fixtures for today

Monday 20/02
18:00 Stoke City(10) v Middlesbrough(7)
19:00 Leeds Utd(3)   v Aston Villa(6)
19:00 Sunderland(9)  v Derby County(11)
19:00 West Brom(5)   v Southampton(2)

Is there likely to be any live coverage of the Leeds game this evening? 

11 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Is there likely to be any live coverage of the Leeds game this evening? 

From leedsunited.com.

How to watch: 

For those unable to attend, LUTV will be showing the match live to subscribers - with further coverage available with our liveblog on leedsunited.com, followed by a full report, highlights and reaction after the game. 

• Thanks 1

This is an interesting one today. Up until January, Leeds were absolutely imperious at the top of the league and I wouldn't have given us a chance, but since the turn of the year they've got 1 point from 12. Villa on the other hand have 3 wins on the spin in 2023 and 4 wins in 5 if you include the PL Cup. And with us also now using our more experienced u21 players we've a real chance here.  At the very least it's going to be a good litmus test for both teams. Leeds can go top with a win, but also risk heading out of the playoffs if we win and they can't quickly turn their form around. So it's quite a pivotal fixture, all things considered.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

This is an interesting one today. Up until January, Leeds were absolutely imperious at the top of the league and I wouldn't have given us a chance, but since the turn of the year they've got 1 point from 12. Villa on the other hand have 3 wins on the spin in 2023 and 4 wins in 5 if you include the PL Cup. And with us also now using our more experienced u21 players we've a real chance here.  At the very least it's going to be a good litmus test for both teams. Leeds can go top with a win, but also risk heading out of the playoffs if we win and they can't quickly turn their form around. So it's quite a pivotal fixture, all things considered.

Might have a lill tickle then at 4/1... Hopefully we name a strong line up!.. 

Brad Young injured, Rory Wilson has been away with Scotland, and Tommi O'Reilly presumably injured as well, so our attack nowhere near as strong as it could have been. Having seen the line-ups they will be big favorites.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Brad Young injured, Rory Wilson has been away with Scotland, and Tommi O'Reilly presumably injured as well, so our attack nowhere near as strong as it could have been. Having seen the line-ups they will be big favorites.

4/9 Leeds - 18/5 Draw- 5/1 Villa 

Worth a tickle :D

They're favorites but five to one seems very generous, they haven't won any of their last four so haven't been in great form, they have a few first teamers in their line-up tonight but that doesn't always work as you would think as sometimes first team players playing at this level aren't as committed, it's often more a training game for them and want to make sure that they don't get injured.

It's not out of the question that we could get a result, but I think Bogarde, Tommi O'Reilly, and Brad Young are going to be big misses from our previous good form, we don't even have an actual striker as such in the squad today, I guess Frith and Kellyman can play there but not their natural position.

Kind of surprised that Kellyman isn't starting given the players missing, have been really impressed by what I've seen, but a good option to come off the bench.

Game could go either way, a big win for them wouldn't surprise me, but neither would a win for us.

• Like 1