U21 Development League 2022/2023

BOF

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kadan play for the U18s tomorrow, they're away to Palace, so probably going to need all the help they can get, probably why Smith not playing today. It might depend on whether first team have a behind closed doors game or not.

Albion team isn't even that weak, a few players missing that have gone out on loan or now involved with first team, but still contains a number of their most highly rated youngsters such as, Griffiths, Ingram, Rico Richards, Mfuamba, Cleary started the game but had to come off injured, and few of the others played when they beat us 6-2, Whitwell who has come off the bench an England U17 international, Bartley is also an experienced first team player of course.

So a very good performance from us, even allowing for that we were able to put out a stronger team than usual.

• Like 2

I think this shows the difference between boys and mens football perfectly. Brad Young , Raikhy , Lindley and  Kesler have all been on loan to various degrees of success. 

But when Albion did us earlier in the season  6 2 we had players a year or so younger on average while all our players were out on loan.  Now we seem to have players the same age on average with mens football experience and we have well and truly done them 

22 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think this shows the difference between boys and mens football perfectly. Brad Young , Raikhy , Lindley and  Kesler have all been on loan to various degrees of success. 

But when Albion did us earlier in the season  6 2 we had players a year or so younger on average while all our players were out on loan.  Now we seem to have players the same age on average with mens football experience and we have well and truly done them 

Yeah there's no comparison. We see it time and again. It's why we get spanked so often in the Papa John's by lower league teams using their senior squads. Going on loan to them is much more valuable than playing in this league. I just want us to get promoted so that the players left behind when all the loans happen are at least playing at the highest level we can offer them.

• Like 2

I wouldn't expect this result to be the norm, chances are a lot of these players will go out on loan, even if they stay some of them will be phased out in favor of giving as much game to the more highly rated younger players as possible.

Not sure the club values promotion all that highly, or at least it's not top priority at this level, as I'm not sure there's much difference in quality between PL2 divison 1 and PL2 division 2, as league tables get distorted within academy football because of teams sending players out on loan, priortizing individual development over team results, and so on.

That said ideally it's better to be in top division, If we can get the balance right, mixing some of today's players that end up not going on loan, with the likes of Simpson, Kellyman, Kadan Young, Wilson, Triston Rowe, then I think we can still challenge for play-offs, but I think it's vital that we give those younger players as much U21 experience as possible, playing them an age up early will put them in good stead, it's what we did with much of the team that won the FA Youth Cup.

Edited by useless

Front page stats updated with our 4-0 win and Forest beating whipping boys Derby 7-2. A first start of the season in the PL2 for Sinisalo and Kesler-Hayden. The 2nd oldest starting 11 of the season (19.74) although the oldest side (19.90 v Boro) had El Ghazi in it.

• Thanks 1

Next set of fixtures are Friday week. Nothing this weekend.

Friday 10/02
12:00 Southampton(1)   v Sunderland(9)
19:00 Aston Villa(6)   v Stoke City(10)
19:00 Middlesbrough(7) v West Brom(5)

Monday 13/02
19:00 Derby County(11) v Norwich City(4)
19:00 Newcastle(8)     v Leeds Utd(2)

Ninth-placed Sunderland managed an unlikely 2-2 draw away to league leaders Southampton in the early kickoff, meaning Leeds can go back on top with their game in hand. It all congests quite nicely at the top now if teams take advantage.