U21 Development League 2022/2023

BOF

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He takes a good penalty, Revan, really good corners too - he's sharp with a dead ball.

He is one of those that seems to be pushing on a little rather than fading away i feel. Still a long way to go but definitely not stagnating.

• Like 1

Front page stats updated. We may be up to 4th but we're level with 6th. This is now a battle. It's clearly 6 into 5. and someone won't be at the party.

3 of our remaining 4 games are against the other 3 sides currently occupying the playoff spots!!

Second-placed Southampton at Bodymoor first up in 10 days. Then a trip to 5th placed Norwich City a fortnight after that. Then bottom-placed Derby at Bodymoor and we finish at 2nd placed Notts Forest.

So, no perssure then :D

Friday 03/03
19:00 Southampton(2->3)   0-2 Notts Forest(3->2)

Monday 06/03
15:00 Newcastle Utd(8->9) 2-5 West Brom(6)
19:00 Leeds United(1)     3-0 Derby County(11)
19:00 Middlesbrough(7)    2-3 Aston Villa(5->4)
19:00 Sunderland(9->8)    4-1 Stoke City(10)

Just a note that we now have 7 wins and a defeat from our last 8 league games.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's all a bit spread out now over the next fortnight. Here's the next set of fixtures spread over that week. As you'd expect, there are some key fixtures happening which will directly affect our prospects, starting with next Monday. I think we probably just want Leeds to run away with it now at this stage.

Monday 13/03
19:00 West Brom(6)     v Leeds United(1)

Friday 17/03
18:00 Aston Villa(4)   v Southampton(3)

Monday 20/03
19:00 Derby County(11) v Stoke City(10)
19:00 Leeds United(1)  v Sunderland(8)
19:00 Notts Forest(2)  v Newcastle United(9)
19:00 West Brom(6)     v Norwich City(5)

Southampton's recent form is patchy, even if they did lose to the top 2 sides. Worth noting they themselves were top 2 when they played them though.

f547714ae4b73cb4b4bc366cabac585a.png

11 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Do people think it’s worth us getting promoted?

I'd like to. If only for a season. I don't think it'll change our philosophy of loaning out our better players or anything. I'd just like to see the players who are left face up against better opposition. There's certainly no drawbacks to it, so for me it's worth it.

• Like 3

On 07/03/2023 at 13:34, BOF said:

I'd like to. If only for a season. I don't think it'll change our philosophy of loaning out our better players or anything. I'd just like to see the players who are left face up against better opposition. There's certainly no drawbacks to it, so for me it's worth it.

Absolutely this, No matter what your profession is. If you're competing against better opposition then you will only learn from it and better your own personal development 

The QF of the BSC is tonight; Alvechurch.

Interestingly, the last time we lifted the cup (1985) we put seven past them in the semi-final (Paul Kerr hat-trick). I’ll be surprised if we’re in the hat for the SF this year, but you never know. Wonder if Diego Carlos could make a comeback appearance?

I think there's a good chance we will play a weakened team for tonight's game, maybe play a strong back two to try and avoid conceding too many if possible, but I would imagine that main focus will be on Friday's game against Southampton, so a few of the better players might be rested.

• Like 1