U21 Development League 2022/2023

BOF

I think Kadan Young will play centrally - he's done that before for the U21's (or maybe the youth cup). 

We miss Tommy O'Reilly to give us that bit of creativity in the middle of the park and there will be pressure on Allcock and Raikhy to create.

It's a good side, but Leeds still play this league like it's 1995 and it's the reserves where everyone else plays it like a youth league - it'll be a challenge.

I seem to remember that the last time we played Leeds and it was live (on their youtube channel) it was on a pitch that seemed to be in a housing estate in the middle of nowhere.

Good to see we're in the cavernous, ramshackle surrounds of Elland Road this evening instead.

We haven't been too bad, at times the passing seems a little rushed, I think we're missing having a proper centre-forward that can hold the ball up, just our bad luck that both Brad Young and Moore are injured and Wilson on international duty. Need to get Kadan Young on the ball more in dangerous areas, on a few occassions has shown what he can do, but needs to get into the game.

At least West Brom are also losing, so even if scores stay as they are they should still be catchable.

Pretty good performance given Leeds were playing £70m+ worth of players, and an entertaining game. The players looked comfortable under pressure and our patterns of play in the final third were reminscent of the first team. Out of our full backs KKH did most of the attacking in the first half and Revan in the second. Apart from one error Zych was impressive and seems more comfortable with his distribution than our other keepers. The centre back partnership functioned well although they still look a little shaky on crosses. Raikhy Motm with his usual technical masterclass. With a couple more of our starters fit and/or Leeds not playing first team players we may have won.

Ref was atrocious. Their midfielder Gyabi shoved Lindley and one or two others. Ref decided to book him then randomly booked two of our players presumably to appease the crowd? Who knows. The crowd were booing our youngsters throughout of course - classy as ever from Leeds.

• Like 2

The kind of midfielders that often go underrated but I thought that Alcock and Lindley both had good games, battled hard and for the most part both very neat in possession as they usually are. Every player did well in one way or another, if we'd have just had one or two of our missing players available then I think that would have made a difference to the result even with Leeds using the first team players that they did.

• Like 1

Revan, Hayden, Raikhy and Frith all stood out with fine performances IMO. Afoka always seems busy but nothing quite seems to come of it. Kellyman took his first chance beautifully moments after coming on, then whiffed an air shot horribly later. Overall I think the players should be proud of a solid effort and a slightly unlucky defeat against a bizarrely strong Leeds side. 

• Like 1

Kadan Young didn't have a great game but at the same time in the moments he was good can see why he's probably our most highly rated scholarship aged academy player at the moment and the one making first team bench. In these games need to get him on the ball more in dangerous areas and get our other most talented younsters around him so they can link up, give them a run in the team together so they can develop an understanding.

He's been unlucky in some ways in that a lot of the U18 and U21 sides he's been involved with haven't been settled teams but ones where there have been changes from game to game often with the other better players being unavailable for one reason or another, give him a run of games with Tommi O'Reilly, Frith, Brady Young, and Kellyman alongside him, and I'm sure he will start doing more of his thing.

I think I'm right in saying that we can move into the play-offs with an home win against Sunderland this Friday, West Brom will have two games in hand but the first one is away to Forest on Monday, a good chance for us to put some pressure on them

• Like 1