Rubbish claims to fame

GarethRDR

Well considering I was completely mad about Rugby at that point of my life, and it was moments after we'd won the world cup in the last minute of extra time, and it was then on the telly as the best moment of 2003...then yeh it was one of my greatest moments to be honest :)

I was (in my early teens) on Saturday Superstore as part of the worst football team in Britain. Even sadder I couldnt get in the side on a regualr basis :lol:

As the competition 'winners', we spent a day at Old Trafford with Bobby Charlton and Frank Stapleton and then played a game against the Man Utd kids at their red gra (is that how its spelt?) training ground all of which was filmed for the show.

Weeks later on the actual show, we got given a surprise gift of a week at Bobby's soccer school. Being a alazy **** I didnt go as I knew it would be too much like hard work for me. I also turned down the free trip back to Old Trafford to watch Man Utd play someone as Villa were at home the same weekend

But I did get to meet Paul Young (who my sister loved at the time, so I sold her his autograph for 50p :lol: ), Strawberry Switchblade and Bryan Adams. The latter despite releasing some truly horrendous music on the world was an absolute gent and spent about half hour talking nonsense with me and a few mates about rock music. Top fella

I also got to meet David Icke who was on the show at the time before losing his **** marbles.

Just rubbish ones...? I've got a pretty good one, although it could be viewed as rubbish, as it came about as a result of rubbish-ness. Judge for yourself;

When I played U9's on a sunday I played for a really awful team. We lost every game in our first season, and didn't score a single goal. We were scouted by the BBC to potentially appear in a competition. Turned out we were shit enough, and got picked.

We were on a show called 'Whatever You Want' on BBC1 on a saturday night, prime time actually! With 2 other really awful U9 teams (our record was the worst though!) and we were to have a penalty shootout were the winning team won a prize. They didn't tell us what the prize was.

Peter Shilton was in goal. And they were those tiny 5-a-side goals, so we had our work cut out, although he mustve been about 90 then, as I think he's at least 105 now :lol: Gary Mabbut would place a ball, a player would take a pen, and as soon as the next ball was down next player took the next pen. Most goals in 30 seconds won!

First team scored 5, next team scored 7. We were up last and scored....7. So another round a pens was required. The other team again went first and scored 5. We scored 6 and won! It was glorious, such scenes. Then there was the reveal of the prize...

We were to travel to Barcelona, and spend 5 days there (turned out to be full board and a pretty spiffy hotel, but being kids we didnt give a shit, naturally). Whilst there, bearing in mind this is 1996, we would see Bobby Robson's Barcelona play a game at Camp Nou! Wonderful! I need not remind most of you I'm sure, but that side contained players such as Ronaldo, Figo, Stoichkov, Popescu, Blanc, Luis Enrique. Great side. They won 4-0 against Seville.

BUT. The main event of the trip was a training session with the man himself, our Bobby. It was a great thing being so young cos we were just like yeh OK let's get on with it, being star struck or in awe of him or anything like that didn't come into it. We also watched the senior side at a training session and got to meet them and get signatures after - not Ronaldo though, he was ushered away via another exit.

Keeping in the spirit of the thread though, with a truly rubbish claim to fame; Richard Bacon ran down my street with The Big Breakfast one morning :lol: I used to watch it everyday before school, and when my mum shouted up the stair and said 'Richard Bacon's down our street!' I don't think I had ever got up and ready so quickly. I met up with my mates just down my road as we usually did, but instead of going to school hung around and ended up on TV when they did the competition thing. The mayoress of our town turned up too, and said we had her permission to be late for school, which naturally was excellent. We when we got to school 45 minutes late, and we told out teacher we had the Mayoress' permission, she didn't believe us...can't imagine why not

• 4 months later...

I've had a shout out on Classic FM.

Coming back from Newquay, three of us, hanging badly (although the driver wasn't as much.) So I had the quite brilliant idea of listening to thr request show on Classic FM. Then we texted in requesting something by Shostakovich, because "our driver was falling asleep" (he wasn't btw) So we got to Exeter and pow! The announcer read in the smoothest voice ever "And this is for Danny, Rich and Andy, apparently Rich is falling asleep at the wheel, so here's a musical cup of coffee for Rich then".

Made. My. Life.

Apparently a friend of a friend of a my uncles perpetrated the infamous Toby LeRhone gag on Radio 1.

Â