Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

23 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

This seemed true again yesterday.

Konsa is seemingly a better offensive centre back than Carlos is against a low block, and far less prone to reckless behaviour. Cash has his faults, but so does Carlos. He cost us a goal yesterday, and very nearly contributed to us conceding.

Carlos was the reason Bailey was offside?

• Like 1

Don’t have any issue with his defending ability, he’s just not as good as Konsa and obviously not as good with his passing as Torres but as number 3 of the centre back trio he’s definitely good enough.

• Like 1

It shows that he's not smart enough to be the covering defender that plays in a high line. He absolutely needs to be composed and cover Lenglet as much as possible... and then decides to dash forward into the opponents half in a sloppy attempt to cut out the ball. That's disastrously poor decision making and very nearly cost us the match.

How far we’ve come to have a player of the calibre of Diego Carlos as 3rd choice CB from Hause & Engels just a few seasons ago. I can see him being target by the Saudi league over the next 18months though - especially if we sign a hot prospect  like Edwards or promote Kerr Smith or Feeney. 

• 3 weeks later...

Am I'm misremembering or does Carlos have an eye for a pass? In Pau's absence is Carlos not an option to consider? He's prone to a clanger but so is Lenglet (inadvertently so) due his lack of agility/pace. Carlos might give us a bit more penetration from the back when we're trying to bypass the press and we should hopefully look more comfortable in our high line with his athleticism. What do we think?

Edited by AV82

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

Am I'm misremembering or does Carlos have an eye for a pass? In Pau's absence is Carlos not an option to consider? He's prone to a clanger but so is Lenglet (inadvertently so) due his lack of agility/pace. Carlos might at least give us a bit more penetration from the back when we're trying to bypass a press and we should also look at least slight more comfortable with our highline given his athleticism. What do we think?

Unai likes a lefty at the LCB position so unless we go back to Konsa at RB, Carlos is left out. 

When we play with the 4 CM’s, Unai seems to like Cash as a wide option. When we play with Konsa at RB, I would expect to see Carlos again. 

8 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Am I'm misremembering or does Carlos have an eye for a pass? In Pau's absence is Carlos not an option to consider? He's prone to a clanger but so is Lenglet (inadvertently so) due his lack of agility/pace. Carlos might give us a bit more penetration from the back when we're trying to bypass the press and we should hopefully look more comfortable in our high line with his athleticism. What do we think?

Not more than Lenglet and definitely not Torres standard. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Unai likes a lefty at the LCB position so unless we go back to Konsa at RB, Carlos is left out. 

When we play with the 4 CM’s, Unai seems to like Cash as a wide option. When we play with Konsa at RB, I would expect to see Carlos again. 

You might be right but what use is Lenglet's left foot if he's unable to make the passes we need or too slow to make them at the right time? I might be oversimplifying things or being harsh on Lenglet but our performances at the moment beg the question I think.

Just now, lexicon said:

Not more than Lenglet and definitely not Torres standard. 

Fair! Could Lenglet's agility under pressure affect his passing ability/vision?

Just now, AV82 said:

Fair! Could Lenglet's agility under pressure affect his passing ability/vision?

Yes, as anyone's would be/is. Carlos has the physical edge on Lenglet but I do think he's more prone to making mistakes in possession. He also has a tendency to sell out Kamara with bad passes at times. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

You might be right but what use is Lenglet's left foot if he's unable to make the passes we need or too slow to make them at the right time? I might be oversimplifying things or being harsh on Lenglet but our performances at the moment beg the question I think.

They are both ball playing centre backs especially by the standards we’ve seen at Villa in the past it’s just Pau is on an elite level the level expected to be at a Man City defender it’s unfair to compare the other to him he’s in a league of his own.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AV82 said:

All fair points but it will take a lot for Unai not to pick a lefty at that spot. 

• Like 1

Didn’t have much to do and I’m unsure of him against certain opponents but I appreciate the way he puts good pace on his passes along the ground when getting it out wide. 

Konsa in the same role tends to underhit his passes which allows the defense to shuffle over. Diego hits it at some pace and lets Bailey or other players attack before the defense gets set. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Didn’t have much to do and I’m unsure of him against certain opponents but I appreciate the way he puts good pace on his passes along the ground when getting it out wide. 

Konsa in the same role tends to underhit his passes which allows the defense to shuffle over. Diego hits it at some pace and lets Bailey or other players attack before the defense gets set. 

Agree. He has a certain way of drilling a sidefooted pass. That half a second quicker to a midfielder can open up the game more. 

No idea if he was this player pre injury, but he seems rash, and not brilliant as a CB... When he let the ball come down for Nkunku towards the end i couldn't believe my eyes. 

Â