Local council elections 2022

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Sky, Yes, Nick Robinson, maybe..... noth the others they are right wing.

Murdoch’s Sky?

Genuinely never heard them described as a leftist organ before.

The Nick Robinson I was referring to was BBC’s political correspondent Nick Robinson, the one that was President of the Young Conservatives. I’m not sure which Nick you were thinking of?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Murdoch’s Sky?

Genuinely never heard them described as a leftist organ before.

The Nick Robinson I was referring to was BBC’s political correspondent Nick Robinson, the one that was President of the Young Conservatives. I’m not sure which Nick you were thinking of?

Same Nick, what someone did in their youth doesn't mean they believe the same things in their later years. Andrew Marr was a raving communist in his youth, I don't think he holds the same views today.

If Murdoch still owns UK Sky news then yes.

• Confused 1

Not the best place to demonstrate it, but this suggests that the  Labour / LD non-agression could change a few of the closer races...

Lib Dems stood last time, but for "some reason" chose not to this time.

59 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Not the best place to demonstrate it, but this suggests that the  Labour / LD non-agression could change a few of the closer races...

Lib Dems stood last time, but for "some reason" chose not to this time.

What that shows if replicated is that even with the bad circumstances of 2022 and the lib dems not standing labour stand no chance of winning the next election.....

It is however from the usual tiny turn out....

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

What that shows if replicated is that even with the bad circumstances of 2022 and the lib dems not standing labour stand no chance of winning the next election.....

It's apparent from a single result that Labour won, that come general election, based on that single result, that Labour won, Labour would lose a general election? 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

I presume you are suggesting that a +3.8% increase in Labours vote replicated across the UK wouldn’t be enough to win the election?????

That’s true.  But also a flawed piece of analysis.  If you already hold a high percentage of the vote in a seat you will find it harder to increase that percentage than parties with a lower percentage.  

At its simplest - a party with a 99% share of the vote can only improve by 1%.  You can’t say that it’s been a disaster because they “only” improved by 1%.

• Like 1

Barnet going labour instead of conservative. Barnet actually is a nice area and one of the few councils that was run well. Suprised that changed over

Edited by Demitri_C

Its not really a suprise though as london is generally a labour city.

Conservatives deserve this as they have been shite under johnson. Should be a wakeup call that people have had enough of the lies and scandals

Edited by Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its not really a suprise though as london is generally a labour city.

Yes but Wandsworth and Westminster have been Tory for a long time. Most voters in those councils will never have experienced a Labour administration. Those wins for Labour are hugely significant. Because of the way London councils elect all their seats in one go every 4 years and the rest of the country is voting on seats from 2018 (where Labour did well anyway) London was always going to be where the shocks were and for the Tories to lose its two flagship London councils is a significant moment you have to feel

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s not looking good for the Tories so far

9-AB57-E3-F-66-FF-4-D36-8-A09-0571-EF478

That isn't remotely correct. Labour are way higher than +38. As I type they are +91 and have been +70 since I woke up at 6am

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

That isn't remotely correct. Labour are way higher than +38. As I type they are +91 and have been +70 since I woke up at 6am

The BBC are still reporting that, and are downplaying Labour gains - is it that they haven't updated their figures yet? Where are the higher numbers reported?

Hopefully at some point someone wins an election and decides to return the BBC their freedom and integrity.

Looks about what we expected doesn't it? Labour making modest gains from an already strong starting point and the voters letting Boris know exactly what they think of him by abandoning the Tories just about everywhere. 

A good night for the Greens which is nice to see and a good night for the Lib Dems - which for me is always a surprise, I have no idea who votes for the Lib Dems or why.