Local council elections 2022

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

So, after the NI results, Irish unity can't be far away now

I think even a referendum is many years away.

And what form would it take? Northern Ireland vote only? Simple majority required?

The unionist vote is also spread across different parties so not black and white.

It is catered for in the good Friday agreement but it's just massively complex.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

Crudely, the Irish Unionist vote is currently at 260,000 and the English Unionist vote is at 315,000 and the non aligned vote is at 300,000.

But considering the position of the border was designed explicitly to prevent this sort of thing, that’s well played.

For my money, there won’t be a poll for a long while, certainly not one anyone thinks will genuinely lead to reunification. But any such poll has to be simple majority. Super majority is just rigging an election in a country where the catchment area is already rigged. Once (if) N.I. Vote to join the South, then I guess the South votes to see if they agree? But none of that for a while yet. lots of opportunity here for Johnson to finally play the Churchill role he craves.

19 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I think even a referendum is many years away.

If I were a Tory (*spit*), and I didn't actually didn't give a toss about Northern Ireland or anyone in it, but I did care about having a massive, distracting news story that allowed me to bloviate about how great the UK is to stop people taking about my party starving pensioners and molesting children - I'd call one at some point in the next year.

It's completely in the gift of of the SoS for NI, so just announce it. A year of campaigning, which you spend smearing the opposition parties as being IRA supporters, with a referendum (which right now the unionists probably win) a few months before the next General Election, and get a nice little bounce going into the campaign, just like Cameron got with Scotland. 

If you weren't all that bothered about any of the people on either side, why wouldn't you?

And like Scotland you can say that the issue is settled for a generation. 

Edited by ml1dch

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

So Tower Hamlets voted in a party based on a party that committed election fraud when they were in the Labour Party and also voted in the head fraudster as mayor

Wow

Could you explain please?

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Could you explain please?

Aspire a political party formed in Tower Hamlets. A lot of councillors left the Labour Party and formed a new party called Tower Hamlets first or something like that but the party was disbanded when the were found to have committed electoral fraud and other electoral malpractices. The leader of this party used to be mayor of Tower Hamlets when he was Labour.

IIRC the electoral fraud was to do with postal votes but I could be totally wrong. Can’t remember his name but Anthony mentioned him upthread and compared him to Derek Hatton and Joe Anderson in Liverpool I.e. corrupt as f***

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, bickster said:

So, after the NI results, Irish unity can't be far away now

Star Trek predicted 2024 so we're looking at 2 years from now. (Clip was banned in the UK)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I did think it would be worse the tories than that to be honest 

How? Most predictions before Polling Day were around 250 losses

They lost 480 odd

You also have to remember that 2018, the relevant previous year in the cycle was already a good year for Labour and a bad year for the Tories,  To lose nearly another 500 seats on an already low year in the cycle is an absolute disaster. It really is

If the voting percentages are replicated in 2023, then you'll really see the numbers fly because 2019 was a good year for the Tories, they'll have much more to lose

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

How? Most predictions before Polling Day were around 250 losses

They lost 480 odd

You also have to remember that 2018, the relevant previous year in the cycle was already a good year for Labour and a bad year for the Tories,  To lose nearly another 500 seats on an already low year in the cycle is an absolute disaster. It really is

If the voting percentages are replicated in 2023, then you'll really see the numbers fly because 2019 was a good year for the Tories, they'll have much more to lose

I actually read the numbers wrong as i saw 280 seats. Im still in early mode. Need a coffee