Local council elections 2022

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, bickster said:

To be clear, I don't think it will be a big recovery but they will have a few more seats

A few seats WILL be a big recovery 😂

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Classic 'I put my faith in the Tories and realise they're shit, so I'm going to blame all of politics rather than admit maybe I backed the wrong horse.'

I'm not sure that's true. I am no fan of the Tories.  But Labour & Liberal can be just as bad.  It's a sad reflection of UK Politics that someone who told the truth all the time would lose their seat to someone who just promises everything.  

Don't know if this is one for this thread or not, but does anyone know why local elections are allowed to have ranked voting systems, but for general elections we have to use FPTP?

4 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Don't know if this is one for this thread or not, but does anyone know why local elections are allowed to have ranked voting systems

Where has a ranked voting system?

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

To be clear, I don't think it will be a big recovery but they will have a few more seats

Obviously a lot can change, and it sounds a bit crazy but the foundations for (relatively) large Lib Dem gains were laid in 2019. The overall result was terrible, but they made pretty huge dents in the majorities of a large number of Tories.

Similar to 2017 for the Tories - electorally they wouldn't describe it as a success, but without the not-quite successful inroads they made in 2017, they don't win the seats in 2019.

They won't go back to the Kennedy numbers, but I reckon it'll be their best showing in a couple of decades. Unless they do something stupid, which they probably will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

LibDems are possibly going to hold the balance of power again at the next General Election, they aren't as irrelevant as you imagine

Exactly this. I quite like what they represent and that they are pro EU.

I have a feeling labour may have to do a coalition with them 

22 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Don't know if this is one for this thread or not, but does anyone know why local elections are allowed to have ranked voting systems, but for general elections we have to use FPTP?

This is a simplified answer........

The body that the candidates are standing for has a limited ability to choose its own methodology.  Parliament has a FPTP but a Council might choose a ranked system.  But that is limited by certain parameters.  

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I haven't worked the elections this year.  But the feedback from some of my colleagues is that there's a general feeling of disenchantment with all politicians, regardless of which party.  That's only the view from my area.  But I think it's probably typical.  

I registered for a postal vote but tore it up. None of them are worthy of my vote so screw them

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Social media does a great job of projecting the lies, hate and fear. 

Ever thought people just disagree with you on whatever it may be?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

Where has a ranked voting system?

My local council (Croydon) had first and then second vote, and also had ranked voting when voting for mayor of London

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Ever thought people just disagree with you on whatever it may be?

Of course. But you don't think certain papers and social media play a part in manipulating and getting people wound up over fake fears? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

My local council (Croydon) had first and then second vote, and also had ranked voting when voting for mayor of London

You aren't voting for Mayor of London, just Mayor of Croydon and that uses the supplimentary vote system so you get a first and secocond preference, thats it, the second preference only counts if you first choice is knocked out by having the least votes. SV is a half arsed sop to proper PR but its better than nothing

Croydon COuncil elections are only held every four years and they elect all the councillors the same year. You aren't using ranked voting in those elections. If you had two votes they are two single votes because you are voting for two seats. In Croydon each ward can have 1,2 or 3 seats. Yours seems to have 2

44 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I registered for a postal vote but tore it up. None of them are worthy of my vote so screw them

I suspect alot of people will do this. I think the turnout will be poor.

If the turnout does end up being poor it just goes to show people have lost faith in both of the two main political parties. Im curious to see what the numbers will be

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Of course. But you don't think certain papers and social media play a part in manipulating and getting people wound up over fake fears? 

and you don't think there are other papers and so on that 'manipulate' people the other way?....

• Like 1

I'm by no means a die hard labour fan. But how can people lose faith in a party that haven't been in power for over a decade?

This is what I mean when I say the likes of the mail have won. All the horrendous shit and the state of this country because of a decade of these words removed and people have lost faith in voting them out.

I genuinely believe that this idea that they're all as bad as each other will be seen as success by Tory politicians. 

• Like 4

Just now, paul514 said:

and you don't think there are other papers and so on that 'manipulate' people the other way?....

Whats the other way to fake fears and always needing an enemy to rage against? 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Whats the other way to fake fears and always needing an enemy to rage against? 

Different 'fake fears' a different 'enemy' to rage against....