Fans' support - does it make a difference ?

mottaloo

Okay....this has made me wonder many a time :

Players are employees of a club that they generally are not a fan of. It's a job to them and on average have a few different clubs in their career. So me singing my heart out for Villa; would that particularly lift Carlos Kickaball's motivation OR only if I was singing about him ? Does singing about the team or roaring "come on Villa !!" only work with the likes of players who are also fans ?

In my own career, if my team gets an email praising our efforts then I'm "meh, ok". However,  if I get the praise directly then I'm all "ooh nice one - recognition. I'm gonna try even harder now !"

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The amount of games we've lost in front of a packed house over the years, I'd say it makes little difference. 

Dunno, i think we've got jittery fans and it makes a huge difference in that regards, the roar with 10 mins left as the holte tries to suck the ball in to the goal though must have worn off by now as we're semingly doing it 15 times a season, it can be detrimental but I'm not entirely convinced it can be that positive 

From the football tourism I've done I'd say unsurprisingly the best players don't seem to be bothered by it, Nou camp was flatter than a witches tit, same for a few of the sky 6 sides over the years

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Players are employees of a club that they generally are not a fan of. It's a job to them and on average have a few different clubs in their career. So me singing my heart out for Villa; would that particularly lift Carlos Kickaball's motivation OR only if I was singing about him ? Does singing about the team or roaring "come on Villa !!" only work with the likes of players who are also fans ?

In my own career, if my team gets an email praising our efforts then I'm "meh, ok". However,  if I get the praise directly then I'm all "ooh nice one - recognition. I'm gonna try even harder now !"

If you (anyone) go to an away game at a packed stadium with a cracking atmosphere then I think we'd accept that it is a positive for the home team and potentially testing/intimidating for the away team.

It's not possible to prove, but judging by our own feelings it seems to be so. Maybe an inferior (home) team will still lose, but not by as much. Maybe it will get a better result than expected because the referee or linesmen are intimidated or influenced to give more for the home team. Maybe experienced players blank it all out. Who can know. But it's more enjoyable as a supporter when a ground is rocking, and I suspect the same applies to the players. IF they're enjoying what they do, they will do it better.

• Like 1

Statistics says home support does make a difference for a home team overall (ie: looking at a big enough data set).

This is born out by the fact, that on average, a teams home form is usually better than its away form, sometimes markedly so.

Something I have always wondered, is that at the elite, top level, why should it matter, in theory a team of 11 players should play as well away as at home.

I'm not saying I don't understand the mental/energy side of the apparent impact of home support, but I also do sometimes wonder why elite, elite sport people can't overcome that and make crowds effectively null and void in terms of impact on performance.

I suppose that's the human nature of it, when tiny percentages impact winning or losing, that bit more adrenalin/energy  from a crowd chanting/cheering etc, must make a marginal difference.

On the flip side though, a bad crowd can freeze players, regardless of their ability etc.

• Like 1

I would say it does make a difference, but moreso from a player thinking "oops, better not **** this up otherwise they're on me" viewpoint.

Someone mentioned that the VP crowd is a little impatient and jittery....I think we've seen performances suffer at times because of that feeling transmitting to the players.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, May-Z said:

I would say it does make a difference, but moreso from a player thinking "oops, better not **** this up otherwise they're on me" viewpoint.

Someone mentioned that the VP crowd is a little impatient and jittery....I think we've seen performances suffer at times because of that feeling transmitting to the players.

Just look at our lockdown form, the players played with more confidence, like you say with the crowd there is always that thought in the back of the players mind that if they **** up then they are getting abuse. 

12 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I just think it's unfair that hordes can hurl chants at footballers doing their jobs, but when I try to get a sing-song going in the office when Mark has **** up another pivot table, it's frowned upon.

YOOOUUUU'RE NOT FIT TO DO EXCEL! 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Just look at our lockdown form, the players played with more confidence, like you say with the crowd there is always that thought in the back of the players mind that if they **** up then they are getting abuse. 

West Ham owe a **** lot to no crowds 

12 hours ago, May-Z said:

When I used to work in an agency in a typical office environment, that was our favourite hobby. Singing chants at other office members. We got rather creative. 

Our team was small, but we had a few sister companies there. 

We were pariahs of our office. 

Those were the fun youth days. 

• Haha 1

On 27/04/2022 at 17:11, mottaloo said:

When are we signing Carlos Kickaball

• Haha 2

I think the home support does lift the players.As an example,take Watkins.I am sure that every saturday he looks up Arsenals result, but while he is playing for Villa at VP and hears the crowd chanting for the team ( that he is a part of ) this must lift him,surely.

11 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I think the home support does lift the players.As an example,take Watkins.I am sure that every saturday he looks up Arsenals result, but while he is playing for Villa at VP and hears the crowd chanting for the team ( that he is a part of ) this must lift him,surely.

25 Incredibly Funny WTF Memes - SayingImages.com

• 4 months later...

It makes a difference if you imagine a crowd behind you then you will try things bit of skill taking a man on and so on.

Crowds sighing and moaning when stuff does not come off makes players take the easy option next time.

Friday is a massive game let's get behind the lads.

• Like 1

Â