Memorable Film Scenes & Acting Performances

maqroll

There are a few scenes in Manchester by the Sea that stand out for me... That one that @sheepyvillian has posted, it's just superbly acted and packed with so much emotion...

The scene in the Police Station, if you've seen it you know exactly what I'm on about... 

And the other one that sticks out is when Patrick is having an anxiety attack in the kitchen, that works on a personal level for me being someone who's Dad and Grandfather (on Dad's side) both passed away from heart attacks, found it incredibly relatable. 

It's a brilliant film definitely worth seeing. 

Trainspotting - Perfect Day

Trainspotting - Choose life

Trainspotting - the Worst Toilet in Scotland

(there are worse toilets in offices in Birmingham)

Trainspotting - the bedroom scene

The scene everyone remembers, with good reason. Begbie's appearance under the covers always raised a smile though - sweat that shite outta ya system, cos I come back and it's still here, I'll **** kick it out... Okaaaayyy.

• Like 2

Donnie Darko - the Head Over Heels not-montage

Donnie Darko - the movie theatre

One of my favourite ever scenes. Theres very little too it, and it's in many ways very silly, but the elements, especially the soundtrack, combine to create something weirdly powerful.

• Like 1

Prisoners - Car argument

Prisoners - the hammer scene

Another underappreciated film, but as a Denis Villeneuve work carries increasing weight. Particularly stands out for Jackman playing a very different character for him, very well. His anger is very believable.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 20/08/2023 at 15:13, sne said:

Everything about Miami Vice (the first season in particular) flipped the standard, formulaic cop show on it's head. The inclusion of contemporary popular music hadn't been done before, and the show used it liberally. Those trademark hyper-stylized edits were just not done either. (Check how you never hear the engine of the car. Very deliberate choice by Michael Mann and it was COOL. 

The show shouldn't have lasted more than 3 years. It got really bad. But the first season was a pivot point for television. It expanded the palette for the entire industry. Completely different genre, but there would be no Twin Peaks without Miami Vice, and no Sopranos without Twin Peaks. And the Sopranos set the table for all the amazing television that followed.

Thanks for the trip back in time, @sne

• Like 2

On 18/08/2023 at 17:45, Chindie said:

Zodiac - Lake Barryessa

Zodiac - suspect interview

Zodiac is criminally underappreciated. The scene at Lake Barryessa is one of the most chilling I can recall.

The first murder scene at the start of the film scared the sh*t out of me. But then the lake murders scene was even more frightening. Incredibly well filmed scenes. 

• 5 weeks later...
Â