Midweek Football 11/14 April

andykeenan

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Nah not for me, that squad is too talented for that shit, when he first started and he was chasing down real Madrid and Barca then yeah maybe but once he's got to the top he should have started to adapt and play better football, he hasn't and they're arguably getting worse for it

He did actually try in fairness by signing Felix, Lemar, De Paul etc. but they arent the same team without the aggression

Atletico are an interesting case and it makes me wonder whether playing their particular way is the only possible way of breaking the duopoly of Real and Barce, in the title-race.

As Brian Clough used to say, if you try and out-play Liverpool at football you are going to lose, and the Forest championship side of 77/78 definitely relied on a defensive counter-attacking style, in which his team only conceded 24 goals, seven points ahead of Liverpool.

In the case of Atletico, the signing of Felix for £113m was crucial to their title-winning campaign.

I was left with the question as to whether they were actually as violent as they seemed, or did they just create the impression that GBH was about to breakout, and it is just a very controlled way of giving the impression that it might, by way of intimidation?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Atletico are an interesting case and it makes me wonder whether playing their particular way is the only possible way of breaking the duopoly of Real and Barce, in the title-race.

As Brian Clough used to say, if you try and out-play Liverpool at football you are going to lose, and the Forest championship side of 77/78 definitely relied on a defensive counter-attacking style, in which his team only conceded 24 goals, seven points ahead of Liverpool.

In the case of Atletico, the signing of Felix for £113m was crucial to their title-winning campaign.

I was left with the question as to whether they were actually as violent as they seemed, or did they just create the impression that GBH was about to breakout, and it is just a very controlled way of giving the impression that it might, by way of intimidation?

The key player for their title win was Suarez, Felix has ultimately disappointed, massively overpaid for him.

13 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The key player for their title win was Suarez, Felix has ultimately disappointed, massively overpaid for him.

His stats are not that impressive, unless you take account of his age (22).

One of the questions I asked myself, was how he compared with Grealish's return on his £100m fee.

I can't say he impressed in either leg of the tie, but his pace seems to offer Atletico an out-ball - a bit like Watkins.

Edit: Suarez's, one goal in two, is world-class.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Edit: Suarez's, one goal in two, is world-class.

His European record is dreadful though. He didnt score a goal in open play in Europe for Atletico 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I'd have a very hard time supporting my team if he was the manager. Petulant ******* is all he is and his teams play eye wateringly boring thugball.

I'm just saying I'd rather my team try/do whatever it takes to win. Simeone drills that mentality into his squads.

I guess it's the South American way, especially those from favelas/slums/downtrodden areas (Suarez being the prime example). They have to fight (or bite) and claw and cheat for everything they can get in life and it translates onto the pitch. Art imitates life. Growing up dirt poor, that resonates with me, so it's the style I like from football teams/players. I get it's not for everybody though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Leicester, great performance, great come back. 

Just watched them play really well against PSV…heart and spirit! 

shit, we play them next 😭

Yep, but they have another 2 games before they play us. 

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Yep, but they have another 2 games before they play us. 

Last time we had a break we were poor after it.  Glad we have a behind closed doors game against Brentford to keep us ticking over on the weekend.

• Like 1

Got the feeling West Ham going to win europa...beating Sevilla and Lyon back to back would be very impressive and if Barcelona go out there isn't much left in competition that will scare them although guess Leipzig will still be favourites.

• Like 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

Got the feeling West Ham going to win europa...beating Sevilla and Lyon back to back would be very impressive and if Barcelona go out there isn't much left in competition that will scare them although guess Leipzig will still be favourites.

Yes thoroughly deserved as well. 

Â