Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/22 at 23:00

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

2 week break to sack this clown 

At least Sherwood tried to play attacking football 

Again, let's not be overly dramatic. We didn't play attacking football for the first half today?

In the previous thread, I made a very big deal of the fact Konsa was a boyhood Spurs fan and that maybe he was helping them out with how poor he was today. Upon reflection, I think I was just trying to make myself feel better because I was struggling to cope with the fact my club has a player that can play that badly. But actually, deep down, I know he wasn’t doing his favourite club a favour - deep down I know he really is that poor. Him, Ings, Mings, McGinn and Watkins need replacing. Until then we can fully expect to be wallowing in the bottom half of the league forever. 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

2 week break to sack this clown 

At least Sherwood tried to play attacking football 

Was you not happy with that first half performance? I dont see how its his fault konsa turns into a absolute coward. Also that ings can't bury a sitter. My only criticism is that he started them.  I think he gave konsa one more opportunity to win him over and he failed miserably.

Chambers will be back in for leicester. Mcginn though is a different story. He needs to be dropped asap. 

Just watched the game on motd this morning and interesting to hear the pundits and Gerrard's comments.

Gerrard at half time told the players they have done really well keep it up for the second half

Conte we saw villa were pressing and playing a high line so they adapted and adjusted their game (tactics) and effectively went over the top with long ball allowing world class strikers to score

That the difference between the managers....ours seemingly has no ability to change tactics mid game to respond  or react.

There is a bit of love in between the pundits and gerrard though....i think like Bruce they are giving him an easy ride

6 hours ago, TomC said:

They adjusted their tactics at halftime. We rarely seemed to do so under Deano and rarely do so under SG.

Yeah this is my only worry. Gerrard don't really react to changes. All they did was start to play long ball to Son and Kane, wouldn't have been too hard to black that out. Conte vs Gerrard I guess.

9 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Avoided this thread until now - fair to say the  over reactions have surpassed my expectations.

We got hammered 4 nil and home and have lost 3 of our last 4 home games. Along with 17 defeats this season?

Did you expect us to be dancing with joy?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Just watched the game on motd this morning and interesting to hear the pundits and Gerrard's comments.

Gerrard at half time told the players they have done really well keep it up for the second half

Conte we saw villa were pressing and playing a high line so they adapted and adjusted their game (tactics) and effectively went over the top with long ball allowing world class strikers to score

That the difference between the managers....ours seemingly has no ability to change tactics mid game to respond  or react.

There is a bit of love in between the pundits and gerrard though....i think like Bruce they are giving him an easy ride

If I hear the words ‘honest bunch of lads’ or  ‘makings of a very good side’ or anything   involving rolling up socks, putting boots on and giving it a right good go in a scouse accent I am putting my foot through the telly

In a way this game was so similar to the Wolves game last week in reverse. We were second best for the first half against Wolves last week. Only difference is they took a few of their chances. Both second halves were pretty even, main difference was Spurs were so clinical.

Spurs scored 4 goals from 5 shots on target yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Was you not happy with that first half performance? I dont see how its his fault konsa turns into a absolute coward. Also that ings can't bury a sitter. My only criticism is that he started them.  I think he gave konsa one more opportunity to win him over and he failed miserably.

Chambers will be back in for leicester. Mcginn though is a different story. He needs to be dropped asap. 

no. he wont. doesn't matter how bad certain individuals play, they keep their shirt as far as SG is concerned

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

I agree with your general point that gerrard can be tactically naive. But I’m not sure we can blame him for saying “keep it up” to the players at half time after our best half in months. Why would you change it at that point? His problem was not reacting quick enough to conte’s tweaks rather than his half time team talk 

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

no. he wont. doesn't matter how bad certain individuals play, they keep their shirt as far as SG is concerned

But this has been a very heavy defeat something he wont be able to escape from.

To be honest i doubt ill watch many more villa games this year. They look shit and some players play absolutely pathetic why waste our time?

15 hours ago, AV82 said:

A freak result after a few poor defensive mistakes were capitalised on by a world class finisher. This is far from our worst performance, I just hope we don’t let our heads drop as the score line does not reflect the game of football I just watched.

One thing we can all agree on is that players need rotating and the coaching team need to take a long hard look at themselves.

I thought after their first goal, which is typical now of us......we played like we did against Southampton, except their defensive capability, is so much better organised.....we was intense, snappy, and slick and better finishing, it could have been different

But the long balls for us are like NUKES........We are so puny in the air.....those long balls and headers undone us.

You cannot lose aerial duels against players like Kane, with his pony express in synch....he undone us twice and all it took was close contact and a disruptive challenge, instead, it was a passive stand off, a semi press, if you like.

Konsa was at fault for much of that....turgid performance from him.

• Like 2

Interesting how we topped all the stats, except the ones that matter......so much for stats.

That first half bar the sloppy goal, was the best I have seen from Villa for sometime, reminiscent of the Southampton game.....could have been a much different scoreline.

but we are so,so vulnerable to the counter attack.....The long ball, eks out our weakness.....in the air we are pants.

Spurs, must love playing us....because individual errors strikes again.

We fail to show a defensive line, on many occasions, something most of the Prem find as fundamental....our defensive organisation is low grade and positional sense is naive.

Not all is bad with this team.....but what we are bad at, leads so,so easily to defeats.

The ease at which we get carved open, is in complete contrast to how hard we have to work for snippets of chances.

This soft underbelly has to be rooted out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

WTF is all this xg all of a sudden?

I think it’s to counter the “sack Gerard, why give him more money to spend in the summer”. If we had better strikers yesterday we’d have won the game, we made the chances just didn’t put them away! 

Â